ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM
sherck's Avatar
sherck sherck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 4,010
Thanks: 2,773
Thanked 1,699 Times in 731 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
It's an issue I agree. I also agree that we will pick up a safety (not so sure that this might be one place we could just spend some money. Decent safeties do hit the open market). I just haven't given up on him just yet
Not giving up as the 3-safety package seems to be becoming much more of a thing in the NFL.

But, for once being a sure-fire part of the Colts future, his time off the field is becoming more pronounced than his time on the field.

If he can get healthy, commit to him but that is a big IF right now.

Walk Worthy,
__________________
==============
Thad
The future is so bright; I gotta triple up!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 PM
omahacolt's Avatar
omahacolt omahacolt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,702
Thanks: 1,726
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,021 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
You also have to reward performance so benching Mitchell after 2 games played at a high level would send a bad message. If anything coming back from a concussion limiting Geathers longer is beneficial. So really it negates whatever point you are trying to make.
Just asking how to handle it. If your philosophy is no vets and only young guys to build the core, how do you keep geathers on the bench? Geathers wasn’t playing poorly.

I am not trying to make a point. When geathers is healthy does he remain the starter?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,449
Thanks: 23,254
Thanked 5,976 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Just asking how to handle it. If your philosophy is no vets and only young guys to build the core, how do you keep geathers on the bench? Geathers wasn’t playing poorly.

I am not trying to make a point. When geathers is healthy does he remain the starter?
Plenty of plays for all of them, iyam
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,684
Thanks: 1,066
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Just asking how to handle it. If your philosophy is no vets and only young guys to build the core, how do you keep geathers on the bench? Geathers wasn’t playing poorly.

I am not trying to make a point. When geathers is healthy does he remain the starter?
Who has that philosophy, you seem to be constructing a strawman.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM
omahacolt's Avatar
omahacolt omahacolt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,702
Thanks: 1,726
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,021 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Who has that philosophy, you seem to be constructing a strawman.
I am probably not wording it right. Ballard intentionally didn’t bring in guys like Mitchell so that guys likee geathers could play.

Mitchell is obviously not a long term solution for the team
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (10-25-2018)
  #6  
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
FatDT's Avatar
FatDT FatDT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,252
Thanks: 314
Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts
Default

If they actually see Geathers as the future SS and nickel LB, then yeah, once they feel confident he is fully healthy they'll probably move him back to starter. Mitchell has done well so they'll take their time there. And he'll still get plenty of snaps.

But that's if they see Geathers that way. I don't think they necessarily do. I'm sure there is concern about his long-term viability.

They started the season with Geathers likely to return, and Farley playing well enough to start and then be the primary backup and 3rd safety, so I don't think they had much reason to sign a guy like Mitchell.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:14 PM
JAFF JAFF is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,056
Thanks: 2,384
Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I am probably not wording it right. Ballard intentionally didn’t bring in guys like Mitchell so that guys likee geathers could play.

Mitchell is obviously not a long term solution for the team
I agree. But if there is slim pickings in FA and the draft, keeping him isn't the worst idea. He's a good guy, good team mate. He got caught up in the BS around not signing the guy from SF who to a knee with Kaep
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Just asking how to handle it. If your philosophy is no vets and only young guys to build the core, how do you keep geathers on the bench? Geathers wasn’t playing poorly.

I am not trying to make a point. When geathers is healthy does he remain the starter?
It depends on how Ballard and co. project Geathers. Do they see much growth potential there?

And Sherck brings up a good point about 3 safety packages. There were plenty of snaps for Hooker-Geathers-Farley earlier this year. I imagine it will be the same with Mitchell.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,561
Thanks: 1,478
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,185 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
It depends on how Ballard and co. project Geathers. Do they see much growth potential there?

And Sherck brings up a good point about 3 safety packages. There were plenty of snaps for Hooker-Geathers-Farley earlier this year. I imagine it will be the same with Mitchell.
This is Geathers 4th year, he isn’t s rookie anymore. Play the best vet. Make him earn it. I think they should draft a new safety anyway, he is hurt too much.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
This is Geathers 4th year, he isn’t s rookie anymore. Play the best vet. Make him earn it. I think they should draft a new safety anyway, he is hurt too much.
That's what I think, too, but I was saying that it depends on whether Ballard, Dodds, and Hogan agree.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.