![]() |
|
|
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
As far as scheme change I’m all for it - especially offensively. What I’m not ok with is ignoring free agency in filling holes in the roster with talent. Especially those in front of the most hit quarterback in the league - before he was hurt obviously. Holes that existed since the day Ballard was hired and have not been addressed in any meaningful way. Hopefully he spends draft capital to fix it and it goes better than his half assed attempts last year. But that will take draft capital that is also needed for nearly every position on a talent deficient D, at WR, and RB. You can’t fill all those holes in a draft, yet I’m to believe there were no players available in free agency worthy of bringing in as anything other than a stop gap. Even with a huge amount of cap space available. And Hankins I completely understand Ballard decided he wasn’t worth it. But by that logic anything Ballard does was the right move since he did it because he thought it was right. That’s pretty hard to argue with. What Hankins next contract is is irrelevant for numerous reasons. What matters to me is that our GM signed him last year and changed course because our coaching staff is apparently so inflexible they couldn’t use him. In the modern NFL where teams use multiple fronts and all kinds of hybrid alignments they are so married to a scheme that they can’t find a way to use a talented 26 yr old. That’s what I have an issue with. If this was a Belichick decision you raise an eyebrow, look at his resume, shrug and move on. This is a first time GM and all first time coaches (in their positions) making the decision that Hankins is useless and scheme, not talent is supreme. That to me is a red flag. Last edited by rm1369; 03-21-2018 at 05:56 PM. |
| The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post: | ||
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
By “compete”, I mean they could conceivably win any game, and they have a decent shot at the playoffs. We have the best QB in the division, so I think this will always be possible. Unlike you and your buddy Testcase, I don’t see Ballard’s strategy as any sort of plan to tank the next season or two. Could we increase our immediate chances marginally by signing several of the top free agents as you suggest? Yes, probably – but at what long term cost? Irsay/Ballard have spoken at length about building a sustainable, competitive team, and heavy reliance on free agency is just not suited to that sort of long term strategy. I also disagree that they’re in the second year of a rebuild – Ballard inherited Pagano and his staff when he arrived here. Wholesale changes were not really possible, as it’s pretty clear there was some sort of agreement to let Pagano have a year unmolested by Grigson. So to be fair, this the first year Ballard’s had a clean slate to implement his plans. He’s doing so now. Yes, the roster will have lots of young players and one-year contracts, but I think that’s exactly the goal. Pick players that fit your planned scheme, and incentivize them to perform at a maximum level. If they do so, everyone comes out ahead. If not, the Colts can move on without meaningful consequence. Lots of flexibility. Ballard loves those one year contracts, or at least contracts that give the team an out after a year – it’s obvious. And, sorry, but I personally like the approach. The downside is we probably won’t be able to sign many of the top free agents, as they’ll likely have other suitors who are willing to provide them with a much more secure future. However, based upon his comments, my guess is that Ballard will be a more generous with home-grown talent, and I have no doubt he’ll do whatever is necessary to keep the absolutely critical players (i.e. Luck) – and he’ll have the cap room to do it. Lastly, again as to Hankins, I just don’t think Ballard is going to immediately compromise his vision to keep a guy whose getting paid a bundle and who he doesn’t believe is a good fit for his plan. As you pointed out, he’s a new GM, and if he screws this up I’m sure he wants to do it on his own terms, rather than because he compromised and caved to popular opinion. |
| The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post: | ||
Racehorse (03-22-2018) | ||
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
So did Ballard waste his draft picks last year? He’s building strictly thru the draft and he drafted last year. How is this not year two? And if he didn’t know Pagano was doomed then he’s a shitty GM to begin with. Team options after a year are great. For how much I dislike Hankins release, his contract was great. A roster full of one year contracts isn’t. It’s not a huge deal either way though. The number of them just shows this is a rebuilding and he isn’t looking for long term solutions in free agency. These guys are stop gaps. We’ll revisit this in a year or two. I’d like be to be wrong and them be a real Super Bowl contender in another year. But I don’t see it. Not when they limit themselves to only one real avenue for improvement. |
| The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post: | ||
njcoltfan (03-22-2018) | ||
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
No. Hooker, Wilson, Hairston and Mack are not wastes.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a** |
| The Following User Says Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post: | ||
Spike (03-22-2018) | ||
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
I agree. But that’s my point. Chaka doesn’t seem to want to count last year for Ballard, but he did exactly what he said he wanted to - build through the draft. If you agree with Ballard’s conservative approach that’s fine, but at least own it. This is year two.
|
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
I am starting to think that you really have no point, but keep trolling by throwing enough around until something sticks.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a** |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Don’t read my posts then. You seem to have reading comprehension issues anyway. I don’t agree with Ballard’s unltra conservative strategy. What the fuck is hard to understand?
Last edited by rm1369; 03-22-2018 at 08:10 PM. |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|