ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11  
Old 08-24-2025, 10:23 AM
IndyNorm's Avatar
IndyNorm IndyNorm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,794
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,090 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
I heard a stat that DJ has three of the top 5 completion percentages in NYG history. I have not checked the validity of this.

If that is true, then the issue comes down to his unwillingness to throw the high risk, high reward, ball. I do recall a couple years ago someone doing a breakdown of his not being willing to do it. I think it might have been Orlovsky? This was taking place in that period where it looked certain Dabol was gonna get canned because of how putrid the Giants O was. The breakdown showed him throwing underneath when there were openings in the mid layer but he wouldn't throw it, and the thing being point out was his completion % was a mirage, that his conservatism was hurting the offense.
That's definitely a big concern w/ Jones, and it's not just the high risk/reward throws. At least towards the end of his time w/ NYG he was refusing to throw anything other than checkdowns. I forgot who they were playing, but I had on a Sun/Mon night game last year w/ NYG playing. The broadcast kept showing time after time that there were open receivers 10-20 yards downfield w/ Jones having plenty of time to throw the ball, but he kept ignoring that and just throwing checkdowns to his RB. Even on 3rd and longs where completing a pass to one of said open receivers was needed for a first down. Hopefully after working w/ O'Connell and Steichen this has been corrected, but I obviously have my doubts.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (08-24-2025), Dewey 5 (08-24-2025), Racehorse (08-24-2025)
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.