ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #5  
Old 01-18-2024, 05:15 PM
Ironshaft Ironshaft is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 400
Thanks: 1,302
Thanked 777 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong,nbut doesn't the salary cap only include the top 51 players, so practice squad, churn and 52/53 players do not affect it?
Quote:
I was getting ready to ask... OTC and Spotrac have us at $63.9m and $62.3m respectively. Does ^^ this explain the discrepancy?

Iron's numbers have always been good, so I'm just curious what those sites aren't accounting for.
Quote:
I had seen where we had over $70 M before we signed a bunch of nobodies to future tenders. I really don't know this stuff like Iron does.
So, the differences is between the "pre-season" cap calculations and the "in-season" cap calculations.

Pre-season, you do only count the top 51 cap hits, no practice squad cap hit nor account for any "churn" space when a player gets injured and you need to start paying another player to come up from the practice squad.

Almost all the "cap" sites out there are quoting the pre-season numbers. If I were to do so, I would say we have $66.350m in free cap space.

However, I think to do so misses out on the point that there is NO WAY that the team's cap experts do not account for all the things they know they will have to pay once we get in-season.

It is not like they are going to say "hey, look! We have $66.350m to spend this off-season, YOLO!!!" and then get to the end of pre-season and say "oh, crud, we overspent, we need to cut some cap to be legal."

The number I am sure that they have an eye on before the beginning of re-signing their own free agents and trying to attract others is the number where it accounts for ALL their known expenditures, not just the ones they say count during "pre-season." I think using that number is more accurate so....that is why I use it.

So, that, in a nutshell, is why the numbers are different.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (01-18-2024), Dewey 5 (01-18-2024), Racehorse (01-18-2024), Spike (01-18-2024)
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.