ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2023, 04:24 PM
YDFL Commish YDFL Commish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant Wisconsin
Posts: 4,549
Thanks: 3,309
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
IF they draft a rookie Qb, Taylor would be a help.

Taylor will run the play and get some yards. Unlike Marshal Faulk, who put the team in second and long too many times. Taylor could take some pressure off a rookie Qb.

I know there are other considerations, I look at taylor as a known commodity, a team guy. Is the team better with a rookie Rb and a possible rookie
JT's pass blocking would have to improve immensely for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.Qb?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2023, 05:06 PM
Colts And Orioles's Avatar
Colts And Orioles Colts And Orioles is offline
Historian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brewster, NY
Posts: 9,295
Thanks: 5,209
Thanked 5,566 Times in 3,376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post



Jonathan Taylor's pass-blocking would have to improve immensely in order for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.



o


God damnit, Donald.

o
__________________
BALTIMORE COLTS ))))))))))))))))))) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-05-2023), YDFL Commish (02-05-2023)
  #3  
Old 02-06-2023, 12:07 AM
JAFF JAFF is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,056
Thanks: 2,384
Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
JT's pass blocking would have to improve immensely for him to take the pressure off of a rookie QB.Qb?
Getting yardage on each carry. Rookie E James got positive yardage most carries. No 2nd and 15 to go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 AM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,684
Thanks: 1,066
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

I am not interested in any long-term high-value contract in a RB with his wear and tear, maybe tag him a year, but getting draft value is probably the better move long term.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
  #5  
Old 02-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Mr. Session's Avatar
Mr. Session Mr. Session is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 929
Thanks: 420
Thanked 776 Times in 364 Posts
Default

If he’s still hitting on all cylinders then I think they have to work hard to negotiate but if they can’t get him what he needs I think they’ll need to let him go.

I hate that but I do feel like the one thing this franchise can typically get right is identifying RB talent. The only major whiff, in my 30 years, was Richardson. I have faith they’d address the gap there with competence.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2023, 09:53 AM
YDFL Commish YDFL Commish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant Wisconsin
Posts: 4,549
Thanks: 3,309
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post
If he’s still hitting on all cylinders then I think they have to work hard to negotiate but if they can’t get him what he needs I think they’ll need to let him go.

I hate that but I do feel like the one thing this franchise can typically get right is identifying RB talent. The only major whiff, in my 30 years, was Richardson. I have faith they’d address the gap there with competence.
Donald Brown, Vick Ballard?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2023, 11:23 AM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,561
Thanks: 1,478
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,185 Posts
Default

If we don’t pay him, what are we replacing his production with? I know you don’t get better getting rid of talent.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (02-06-2023), Racehorse (02-06-2023), YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
  #8  
Old 02-06-2023, 12:52 PM
ChaosTheory's Avatar
ChaosTheory ChaosTheory is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 613
Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Donald Brown, Vick Ballard?
Yeah, maybe Donald Brown because he was a 1st Rounder. He was a decent complimentary RB and could hit the occasional homerun, but that's not what you want to spend a 1st on.

Vick Ballard, though, was a pretty good pick in the 5th round. He looked like he could be our starter going forward until he blew his ACL in 2013 and then his Achilles in 2014. Never could make it back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
If we don’t pay him, what are we replacing his production with? I know you don’t get better getting rid of talent.
That's the balancing act and gamble. RB is the easiest position to replace and we've had a pretty good run bringing in guys. None of them measure up to Taylor, but they also combine for less than what Taylor costs.

Hypothetically... does Zack Moss + Deon Jackson + a rookie + the cap benefit of all three together being 1/4 the potential cost of Jonathan Taylor outweigh the monster production we've seen JT can have + huge cap hit + the risk RB's have of falling off a cliff.

I love JT, but other dudes get paid to do that math (which I butchered above).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
  #9  
Old 02-07-2023, 11:23 PM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,684
Thanks: 1,066
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
If we don’t pay him, what are we replacing his production with? I know you don’t get better getting rid of talent.
But we can't keep putting big money in less valuable positions like guard and LB. He is great, but we can get 80% of his production for 10% of the money of his next contract likely.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Mr. Session's Avatar
Mr. Session Mr. Session is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 929
Thanks: 420
Thanked 776 Times in 364 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Donald Brown, Vick Ballard?
I find it hard to view Brown objectively because I have a lot of respect for how he finished for us vs how he started. I hated that pick, admittedly, but I felt like the way he finished here was likely what Polian saw when he made that move. I’ll concede my emotions probably okay too much within that context.

I don’t think Ballard had a talent issue. A better argument is a guy like Duron Carter, but for everyone like him - there’s a Mike Hart who I felt probably could have done more in the right situation.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.