ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,449
Thanks: 23,254
Thanked 5,976 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I think I can give you a better example. Tom Landry didn't win a game with the Cowboys until their 15th game, spanning 2 seasons. He also did not have a winning season or take the team to the playoffs until his 7th season as HC, 1966.

Obviously no owner is going to be that patient today. But 7 years seems like an awful lot of time to learn on the job.
Let me add that I have always hated the Cowgirls, but Landry was a class act. Jones fired him, so I don’t like him, either.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
JAFF (01-26-2023), TheMugwump (01-29-2023), YDFL Commish (01-26-2023)
  #2  
Old 01-26-2023, 02:18 PM
JAFF JAFF is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,056
Thanks: 2,384
Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Let me add that I have always hated the Cowgirls, but Landry was a class act. Jones fired him, so I don’t like him, either.
Huge difference between now and the 1960’s, there was no free agency. John McCay from USC had three terrible years and finally made the playoffs around the time the NFL opened up free agency.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2023, 04:58 PM
Oldcolt Oldcolt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,850
Thanks: 3,123
Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,428 Posts
Default

I don't think you can count Landry. The Cowboys were a brand new team, most of the players were cast offs from the other franchises. Everyone knew they would be a horrible team. Quality old time coach. Hard ass from the get go. Their first draft choice, Bob Lilly, set the tone I didn't hate them at first. Took time.

Could say the same thing about McCay. People knew he could coach, he has cast offs for players.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 01-26-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2023, 02:03 PM
Colts And Orioles's Avatar
Colts And Orioles Colts And Orioles is offline
Historian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brewster, NY
Posts: 9,296
Thanks: 5,209
Thanked 5,566 Times in 3,376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post



I don't think that you can count Landry. The Cowboys were a brand new team, most of the players were cast offs from the other franchises. Everyone knew they would be a horrible team. ) He was a quality, old-time coach. He was a hard-ass from the get-go. Their first draft choice, Bob Lilly, set the tome for the future of the franchise. I didn't hate them at first, it took time.

I could say the same thing about John McKay ...... people knew that he could coach, but he has cast-offs for players.



o


Good point about Landry ...... unlike Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson, Landry started with an expansion team in which everybody knew that they would be terrible for at least a few years.

o
__________________
BALTIMORE COLTS ))))))))))))))))))) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-28-2023)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.