ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2022, 01:27 PM
CletusPyle CletusPyle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 4,399
Thanks: 7,181
Thanked 4,192 Times in 2,443 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Wait, I thought Reich did the game planning as well as the play calling? How the heck is this gonna help?

Also, how in the hell is Strausser not the first one fired?

This doesn’t make a lot of sense, unless Brady wasn’t on board with the quarterback change.

I’m guessing Brady will end up in Philly.
Maybe they will bring in an OC that actually will call the plays....,doubtful, but we can hope!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2022, 01:08 PM
CletusPyle CletusPyle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 4,399
Thanks: 7,181
Thanked 4,192 Times in 2,443 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Maybe they will bring in an OC that actually will call the plays....,doubtful, but we can hope!
Great news....instead of hiring a new OC, Frank will be calling all the plays the rest of this season!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2022, 01:19 PM
ChaosTheory's Avatar
ChaosTheory ChaosTheory is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 613
Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Chaos do you think Ballard has done a good job of building the team?
Fans perception of the team 8 games into this particular season doesn't paint the full picture. But overall, yes. That doesn't mean he's aced everything. I've said all along that Pryor and LT have been his biggest failure. And he whiffed on Basham, Banogu, and Turay. There are others.

But he built the entire defense. Although it's not complete (of course we'd all love our own Nick Bosa), I like our defensive personnel. I think he nails LB, just about nails S, nailed Grover + Buckner, has gotten some good young guys at CB in Rodgers and Moore and brought in good vets like Gilmore or Xavier Rhodes before him, and our DE situation was weak and is getting better. Kwity was playing really well when he got hurt, I think Dayo will keep getting better (they're both 23), and Tyquan Lewis was under the radar playing really well for us.

We all know the story with the OL this season... meaning NOBODY understands why they have inexplicably played so poorly this year. But until now, the OL was a strength for us. We just produced the rushing champ last year.

We just lost one of my favorites in Nyheim Hines and that stings. But Ballard drafted that RB in the first place. He brought Mack in who played well for us and brought Taylor in after. We've already seen Deon Jackson play well when called. That lets me trust that he can bring guys in who can play going forward.

Receiving corps was the trendy panic position this offseason. Not unwarranted. But as wrong as he may have been trusting Pryor and Pinter... I think he may have been equally correct trusting guys like Campbell, Granson, a rookie Pierce, etc., to go with Pittman. We don't have an All-Pro, but I think we have plenty of weapons.

I look at moves he makes for this team, weigh it with the shortcomings, and it leads me to easily trust future moves.

The elephant is QB which is it's own long discussion. Here's your Rorschach, I'll just put it like this: Assume these Ballard teams are healthy and stick Luck at QB. Now compare to those 11-5 teams Luck played on under Pagano. Are we better?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-02-2022)
  #4  
Old 11-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Oldcolt Oldcolt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,851
Thanks: 3,124
Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Fans perception of the team 8 games into this particular season doesn't paint the full picture. But overall, yes. That doesn't mean he's aced everything. I've said all along that Pryor and LT have been his biggest failure. And he whiffed on Basham, Banogu, and Turay. There are others.

But he built the entire defense. Although it's not complete (of course we'd all love our own Nick Bosa), I like our defensive personnel. I think he nails LB, just about nails S, nailed Grover + Buckner, has gotten some good young guys at CB in Rodgers and Moore and brought in good vets like Gilmore or Xavier Rhodes before him, and our DE situation was weak and is getting better. Kwity was playing really well when he got hurt, I think Dayo will keep getting better (they're both 23), and Tyquan Lewis was under the radar playing really well for us.

We all know the story with the OL this season... meaning NOBODY understands why they have inexplicably played so poorly this year. But until now, the OL was a strength for us. We just produced the rushing champ last year.

We just lost one of my favorites in Nyheim Hines and that stings. But Ballard drafted that RB in the first place. He brought Mack in who played well for us and brought Taylor in after. We've already seen Deon Jackson play well when called. That lets me trust that he can bring guys in who can play going forward.

Receiving corps was the trendy panic position this offseason. Not unwarranted. But as wrong as he may have been trusting Pryor and Pinter... I think he may have been equally correct trusting guys like Campbell, Granson, a rookie Pierce, etc., to go with Pittman. We don't have an All-Pro, but I think we have plenty of weapons.

I look at moves he makes for this team, weigh it with the shortcomings, and it leads me to easily trust future moves.

The elephant is QB which is it's own long discussion. Here's your Rorschach, I'll just put it like this: Assume these Ballard teams are healthy and stick Luck at QB. Now compare to those 11-5 teams Luck played on under Pagano. Are we better?
This makes sense to me. I tend to fall on the side of not being happy with how this roster is put together, but it certainly isn’t something that is black and white (like Grigson) to me. And I will say that there is a chance that he hit on Ehlingher which if he did counts for a ton. And I think it is 60-40 that he did. So Ballard is far from the worst GM out there and I get that letting him go you could easily end up in a worst position. You can learn from mistakes and hopefully he will. It a total mess right now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,449
Thanks: 23,258
Thanked 5,976 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
This makes sense to me. I tend to fall on the side of not being happy with how this roster is put together, but it certainly isn’t something that is black and white (like Grigson) to me. And I will say that there is a chance that he hit on Ehlingher which if he did counts for a ton. And I think it is 60-40 that he did. So Ballard is far from the worst GM out there and I get that letting him go you could easily end up in a worst position. You can learn from mistakes and hopefully he will. It a total mess right now.
What Ehlinger brings to the table is that he is a winner. Yes, he has some drawbacks, but being a winner can mask a ton of them if the coaches know how to put together a game plan.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
apballin (11-02-2022), Oldcolt (11-02-2022), Spike (11-02-2022)
  #6  
Old 11-02-2022, 06:07 PM
Colts And Orioles's Avatar
Colts And Orioles Colts And Orioles is offline
Historian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brewster, NY
Posts: 9,297
Thanks: 5,210
Thanked 5,567 Times in 3,377 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post



What Ehlinger brings to the table is that he is a winner. Yes, he has some drawbacks, but being a winner can mask a ton of them if the coaches know how to put together a game plan.



o


There were a number of Colts teams in which Peyton Manning masked otherwise noticeably flawed teams ...... and in his case, he didn't even need the coaches to put together a game plan, they (the offensive coaches) just shut the hell up and let Manning run the show. Jim Caldwell was a lousy head coach, but the one thing that I give him credit for was staying out of Peyton Manning's way in regard to running the offense for 2 full seasons in 2009 and 2010 before the neck injury forced him out of the 2011 season.

o
__________________
BALTIMORE COLTS ))))))))))))))))))) INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-02-2022), YDFL Commish (11-02-2022)
  #7  
Old 11-02-2022, 05:12 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,449
Thanks: 23,258
Thanked 5,976 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Fans perception of the team 8 games into this particular season doesn't paint the full picture. But overall, yes. That doesn't mean he's aced everything. I've said all along that Pryor and LT have been his biggest failure. And he whiffed on Basham, Banogu, and Turay. There are others.

But he built the entire defense. Although it's not complete (of course we'd all love our own Nick Bosa), I like our defensive personnel. I think he nails LB, just about nails S, nailed Grover + Buckner, has gotten some good young guys at CB in Rodgers and Moore and brought in good vets like Gilmore or Xavier Rhodes before him, and our DE situation was weak and is getting better. Kwity was playing really well when he got hurt, I think Dayo will keep getting better (they're both 23), and Tyquan Lewis was under the radar playing really well for us.

We all know the story with the OL this season... meaning NOBODY understands why they have inexplicably played so poorly this year. But until now, the OL was a strength for us. We just produced the rushing champ last year.

We just lost one of my favorites in Nyheim Hines and that stings. But Ballard drafted that RB in the first place. He brought Mack in who played well for us and brought Taylor in after. We've already seen Deon Jackson play well when called. That lets me trust that he can bring guys in who can play going forward.

Receiving corps was the trendy panic position this offseason. Not unwarranted. But as wrong as he may have been trusting Pryor and Pinter... I think he may have been equally correct trusting guys like Campbell, Granson, a rookie Pierce, etc., to go with Pittman. We don't have an All-Pro, but I think we have plenty of weapons.

I look at moves he makes for this team, weigh it with the shortcomings, and it leads me to easily trust future moves.

The elephant is QB which is it's own long discussion. Here's your Rorschach, I'll just put it like this: Assume these Ballard teams are healthy and stick Luck at QB. Now compare to those 11-5 teams Luck played on under Pagano. Are we better?
Let me try to explain why I think our line looks so much worse. Rivers was adept at reading a defense, which put the line in a great position to protect him. Wentz was the opposite, and Ryan was somewhere between the two, but slow as molasses. Add in the fact that pass rushers are becoming tremendously athletic freaks, and most lines struggle with blocking. If our QB can be even remotely close to where Rivers was about reading the defenses, we will see vast improvements.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2022, 05:27 PM
Oldcolt Oldcolt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,851
Thanks: 3,124
Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Let me try to explain why I think our line looks so much worse. Rivers was adept at reading a defense, which put the line in a great position to protect him. Wentz was the opposite, and Ryan was somewhere between the two, but slow as molasses. Add in the fact that pass rushers are becoming tremendously athletic freaks, and most lines struggle with blocking. If our QB can be even remotely close to where Rivers was about reading the defenses, we will see vast improvements.
I don’t know Racehorse. That may be why they are not good at pass blocking (I don’t buy that though, these guys are getting their asses handed to them one on one) but what is your theory on why they cannot run block for shit? There used to be not only holes to run through but every week I looked forward to watching Nelson flatten someone. Baldy made it something you didn’t want to miss. Now Nelson is getting flattened. The thing that makes the most sense is injury to his back but my god why would you give that contract to a guard with a back injury?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,449
Thanks: 23,258
Thanked 5,976 Times in 3,404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I don’t know Racehorse. That may be why they are not good at pass blocking (I don’t buy that though, these guys are getting their asses handed to them one on one) but what is your theory on why they cannot run block for shit? There used to be not only holes to run through but every week I looked forward to watching Nelson flatten someone. Baldy made it something you didn’t want to miss. Now Nelson is getting flattened. The thing that makes the most sense is injury to his back but my god why would you give that contract to a guard with a back injury?
Maybe we are tipping run plays. No creativity in fooling the defense. Reich is almost as predictable as a Pornhub plot, but not quite as predictable as Pagano was.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-02-2022), dwilli57 (11-03-2022), nate505 (11-02-2022), Oldcolt (11-02-2022), red raindog (11-02-2022), Spike (11-02-2022)
  #10  
Old 11-02-2022, 09:22 PM
IndyNorm's Avatar
IndyNorm IndyNorm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,794
Thanks: 1,760
Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,090 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

The elephant is QB which is it's own long discussion. Here's your Rorschach, I'll just put it like this: Assume these Ballard teams are healthy and stick Luck at QB. Now compare to those 11-5 teams Luck played on under Pagano. Are we better?
No one is saying that Ballard isn't a better GM than Grigson. He obviously is, but who isn't? Seeing that Grigson in one of the worst GMs in NFL history the comparison bar for Ballard should be much higher than Grigson. At least Tobin level.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.