ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2019, 01:24 AM
Discflinger's Avatar
Discflinger Discflinger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: In My Head
Posts: 827
Thanks: 419
Thanked 363 Times in 221 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld87 View Post
I'm not doubting you, but I am curious. What, exactly, did this guy say to you? You two were golfing together a couple of weeks ago and he actually said, "I'm hearing Luck may retire." ?

This was just so out-of-nowhere for me and most other people, I'm really wanting to piece-together all the information I'm seeing here, and elsewhere, where people have heard this could possibly (albeit slim) happen.
I can't quote exactly because I was kind of drunk and frankly I didn't really want to talk about it, but while playing disc golf a friend told me that his brother in law or something had told him Luck was going to retire. I don't remember in what capacity, but he worked for the NFL. So, everyone in the loop has known for weeks. Really amazing they were able to keep it hush hush when I found out on a disc golf course in Colorado.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2019, 01:38 AM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default

For me: It’s going to reaaaalllllyyy suck not watching him play (and the ramifications that has on the Colts). That disappointment is like a hollow pit in my chest.

For him: The man is starting a family. I won’t judge him just as I wouldn’t judge anyone else’s decision to change their career in the best interests of their family.

This is so disappointing but I don’t hold it against the man, if that makes any sense. I just can’t judge someone who puts their body through the ringer like NFL players do and risks their long-term health. If other things are more important to him than football now, then good luck to him and I hope Ballard can pull another McDaniels/Reich.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Butter (08-25-2019), Racehorse (08-25-2019), rcubed (08-25-2019)
  #3  
Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 14,453
Thanks: 23,278
Thanked 5,982 Times in 3,406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
For me: It’s going to reaaaalllllyyy suck not watching him play (and the ramifications that has on the Colts). That disappointment is like a hollow pit in my chest.

For him: The man is starting a family. I won’t judge him just as I wouldn’t judge anyone else’s decision to change their career in the best interests of their family.

This is so disappointing but I don’t hold it against the man, if that makes any sense. I just can’t judge someone who puts their body through the ringer like NFL players do and risks their long-term health. If other things are more important to him than football now, then good luck to him and I hope Ballard can pull another McDaniels/Reich.
This is where I am. I get the posters who were drunk last night and posted what they did. However, given the myriad of former players who can barely walk and talk, let alone eat with a fork, I won't be that harsh. I am angry that he didn't give it one last go with this roster, but in the end, there is nothing that I could do beyond vent online, so I move on and root for the guys who wear the Shoe this year.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (08-25-2019)
  #4  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 AM
ChoppedWood ChoppedWood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,618
Thanks: 4,671
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,719 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
This is where I am. I get the posters who were drunk last night and posted what they did. However, given the myriad of former players who can barely walk and talk, let alone eat with a fork, I won't be that harsh. I am angry that he didn't give it one last go with this roster, but in the end, there is nothing that I could do beyond vent online, so I move on and root for the guys who wear the Shoe this year.
Can't speak for others but I can for the record state I wasn't drunk in my rage last night and it hasn't eased any this morning.

I am really struggling to process all the pieces here and I can't move off the point that this guy just reamed us in a huge way.

So he has a strain that is of near zero concern in mini-camps and HE makes it clear HE is going to be ready for camp. Standard Luck giggly "I will be ready for camp" nerdness...

Okay, so draft is out the window, and realistically had he told them at the end of last year he was hanging them up- who knows, but realistically with a Ballard type I don't see him giving up a ton of the future to try to move up in a draft class where the "biggest" guy is a Michael Vick wannabe and a Daniel Jones is a guy people covet, while Haskins could take 3-5 years to shape into a long term answer... If we had known before hand, yeah we could probably make that move for Foles, so there's that taken off the table if he KNEW this that far back...and I think he did, but that's just my opinion.

So let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his real decision came between mini and training camp. Here's where I just don't buy this guys BS that this is an injury thing and the ankle is the final straw.

Camp starts, he takes a few days off at the beginning due to this lingering pain, steps on the field and looks like he's primed to go. Then he has to step back due to pain. Then they come out with the BS the last couple weeks that he can't practice due to lingering pain...BUUUUUT no one, not anyone with any access says shit about him wearing a boot. He's not present, then last weekend he's in warm ups he's running around laughing while going through exercises... NO BOOT. Yesterday, he didn't go through warm ups but several times I watched him come up to work with a QB and demonstrate a plant and drop back- no wincing, NO BOOT, stands the entire game, laughing, doing standard Luck shit...

Now in his press conference he's talking all this shit about how he's still in pain, it's a myriad of issues, strain, impingement, etc... and talks about how one of his first orders of business is to do what's necessary to stop this pain in his ankle.

I'm no doctor but if you are having that much of a problem, do you jump around and laugh with guys while doing it, or do you ask a doctor to immobilize the thing and get you on some crutches so you don't have pain- regardless of whether or not you get paid to play football for a living?

To me, it just doesn't add up. My read is he's known for quite some time he was not going to do this anymore but until last weekend he didn't have the balls to just come out and tell them it was over so he strung them, and us, along. Ballard made some mention of tough conversations they have all had recently and I think he specifically mentioned last Monday as sort of a trigger point.

I think it might have been those guys telling him they were tired of the hem hawing and they were moving on and now the ankle thing is just a soft landing spot for everyone to go their own ways and save as much face as possible instead of the org saying "yeah, Andy sort of threw all these guys that wear this horseshoe under the bus, thanks for F'ing us Andy".

If so, then screw him for not letting them have the option of trying to upgrade the position, and I'm not saying they would have chosen to do so because I really think Ballard is a JB fan and is willing to roll with him, but if so, he trapped them in a corner by waiting this long to finally do what he should have done a long time ago- probably around the SB I would imagine.

So on that basis, no, I do not hold a grudge for him retiring, hell yes I would be inclined to retire if I had $91M in salary and probably another $150M in endorsements sitting in my account. But to do it this way, 2 weeks before a season and IMO blame it on what IMO is made up- to me, that's the mark of a real coward that doesn't deserve my respect.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:29 AM
albany ed albany ed is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,146
Thanks: 339
Thanked 1,646 Times in 783 Posts
Default

I guess this is good news for Walker and Kelly. One of them was facing being cut, but now they both should be safe.
__________________
Hey, it's your world. I'm just gonna play in it for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM
ChoppedWood ChoppedWood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,618
Thanks: 4,671
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,719 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I guess this is good news for Walker and Kelly. One of them was facing being cut, but now they both should be safe.
Walker just doesn't have the size for it. He can make that "wow" play once every few series but in between, he's going to hurt you.

Kelly is for real. He throws an outstanding ball and you can see his command of the huddle. I am obviously pulling for Jacoby to just kill it when the bullets fly but after 2 games if he doesn't look the part, I absolutely want to see Kelly running this squad and see what he can do with all this talent around him.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
NextManUp (08-26-2019), Racehorse (08-25-2019)
  #7  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 PM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Can't speak for others but I can for the record state I wasn't drunk in my rage last night and it hasn't eased any this morning.

I am really struggling to process all the pieces here and I can't move off the point that this guy just reamed us in a huge way.

So he has a strain that is of near zero concern in mini-camps and HE makes it clear HE is going to be ready for camp. Standard Luck giggly "I will be ready for camp" nerdness...

Okay, so draft is out the window, and realistically had he told them at the end of last year he was hanging them up- who knows, but realistically with a Ballard type I don't see him giving up a ton of the future to try to move up in a draft class where the "biggest" guy is a Michael Vick wannabe and a Daniel Jones is a guy people covet, while Haskins could take 3-5 years to shape into a long term answer... If we had known before hand, yeah we could probably make that move for Foles, so there's that taken off the table if he KNEW this that far back...and I think he did, but that's just my opinion.

So let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his real decision came between mini and training camp. Here's where I just don't buy this guys BS that this is an injury thing and the ankle is the final straw.

Camp starts, he takes a few days off at the beginning due to this lingering pain, steps on the field and looks like he's primed to go. Then he has to step back due to pain. Then they come out with the BS the last couple weeks that he can't practice due to lingering pain...BUUUUUT no one, not anyone with any access says shit about him wearing a boot. He's not present, then last weekend he's in warm ups he's running around laughing while going through exercises... NO BOOT. Yesterday, he didn't go through warm ups but several times I watched him come up to work with a QB and demonstrate a plant and drop back- no wincing, NO BOOT, stands the entire game, laughing, doing standard Luck shit...

Now in his press conference he's talking all this shit about how he's still in pain, it's a myriad of issues, strain, impingement, etc... and talks about how one of his first orders of business is to do what's necessary to stop this pain in his ankle.

I'm no doctor but if you are having that much of a problem, do you jump around and laugh with guys while doing it, or do you ask a doctor to immobilize the thing and get you on some crutches so you don't have pain- regardless of whether or not you get paid to play football for a living?

To me, it just doesn't add up. My read is he's known for quite some time he was not going to do this anymore but until last weekend he didn't have the balls to just come out and tell them it was over so he strung them, and us, along. Ballard made some mention of tough conversations they have all had recently and I think he specifically mentioned last Monday as sort of a trigger point.

I think it might have been those guys telling him they were tired of the hem hawing and they were moving on and now the ankle thing is just a soft landing spot for everyone to go their own ways and save as much face as possible instead of the org saying "yeah, Andy sort of threw all these guys that wear this horseshoe under the bus, thanks for F'ing us Andy".

If so, then screw him for not letting them have the option of trying to upgrade the position, and I'm not saying they would have chosen to do so because I really think Ballard is a JB fan and is willing to roll with him, but if so, he trapped them in a corner by waiting this long to finally do what he should have done a long time ago- probably around the SB I would imagine.

So on that basis, no, I do not hold a grudge for him retiring, hell yes I would be inclined to retire if I had $91M in salary and probably another $150M in endorsements sitting in my account. But to do it this way, 2 weeks before a season and IMO blame it on what IMO is made up- to me, that's the mark of a real coward that doesn't deserve my respect.
You’re admitting there’s guesswork driving your reaction. What if your guesses are wrong?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-25-2019)
  #8  
Old 08-25-2019, 01:03 PM
ChoppedWood ChoppedWood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,618
Thanks: 4,671
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,719 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
You’re admitting there’s guesswork driving your reaction. What if your guesses are wrong?
Then I am wrong, won't be the first time. I also have seen whispers that he is being coy and playing this card but the reality is he has cancer and wants to lay low while fighting, and if so, well damn I will feel like shit for saying these things.

However, right now, based on what info does exist, including the bombshell from Schefty that they reached a settlement with him last week, well the little nuggets we do have, they don't paint a rosey picture of Andy the ultimate warrior going out there and fighting for his guys... the things we do know sure do make him look like a very very very smart guy that played this system to the absolute most beneficial point possible.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM
VeveJones007 VeveJones007 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Then I am wrong, won't be the first time. I also have seen whispers that he is being coy and playing this card but the reality is he has cancer and wants to lay low while fighting, and if so, well damn I will feel like shit for saying these things.

However, right now, based on what info does exist, including the bombshell from Schefty that they reached a settlement with him last week, well the little nuggets we do have, they don't paint a rosey picture of Andy the ultimate warrior going out there and fighting for his guys... the things we do know sure do make him look like a very very very smart guy that played this system to the absolute most beneficial point possible.
What bombshell? “Late last week” could easily mean a couple days ago.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Puck (08-25-2019)
  #10  
Old 08-25-2019, 10:46 AM
rcubed's Avatar
rcubed rcubed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,138
Thanks: 937
Thanked 1,481 Times in 815 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
This is where I am. I get the posters who were drunk last night and posted what they did. However, given the myriad of former players who can barely walk and talk, let alone eat with a fork, I won't be that harsh. I am angry that he didn't give it one last go with this roster, but in the end, there is nothing that I could do beyond vent online, so I move on and root for the guys who wear the Shoe this year.
I have that same basic thoughts. I am unhappy we lost our all star qb right before we were poised to go on some sb runs. However I get why he left. He has money, opportunity, family, and still has his health mostly in tact. He is smart and has different priorities, I will not fault him for that. Also, fans get way to emotional about sports. I love the colts but never let it ruin my day when they lose.

That being said, this sucks!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-25-2019), VeveJones007 (08-25-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.