ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 AM
HoosierinFL's Avatar
HoosierinFL HoosierinFL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,917
Thanks: 255
Thanked 2,082 Times in 991 Posts
Default

Good stuff. Tackling technique can be coached. And he won't be asked to play press man coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Dam8610 Dam8610 is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,622
Thanks: 120
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,280 Posts
Default

LB Ben Banogu, TCU



Strengths
Plays fast and physical. Can track down ballcarriers and displays sideline to sideline speed. Showed ability to run with backs and tight ends in coverage. Disciplined run defender who maintains control of his gap and often makes plays in the backfield. Uses athleticism primarily to generate pressure on QB, made his biggest impact on film as a pass rusher using interior stunts and delayed blitzes. Spies well. Relentless motor, does not quit on plays which led to some effort sacks and running down ballcarriers from behind. Punches at the ball and attempts to create turnovers.

Weaknesses
Has no rush plan and very rudimentary rush moves. Needs a lot of work in this area. Snap was typically over if he went up against a tackle who got hands on him. Sticks to blocks, needs to find a way to effectively shed and wrap up ballcarriers more frequently. Doesn't always have the best tackling form, which leads to the occasional missed tackle.

Other
First team All Big 12 in 2017 and 2018.

Player Comparison
T.J. Watt
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was wrong.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-08-2019), smitty46953 (04-30-2019)
  #3  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Luck4Reich's Avatar
Luck4Reich Luck4Reich is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 4,555
Thanks: 1,974
Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,636 Posts
Default

The two players I'm most excited to watch are Banogu and Campbell
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-13-2019), Racehorse (04-30-2019)
  #4  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Dam8610 Dam8610 is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,622
Thanks: 120
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,280 Posts
Default

WR Parris Campbell OSU



Strengths
Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Playmaker. Any touch can end in a TD. Turns short routes into big plays routinely with speed and athleticism. Very capable of making defenders miss in the open field. Rarely drops a catchable ball. Adjusts routes based on coverage defense runs, is often able to find the soft spot in a zone defense. When he blocks, good blocker who can help a runner turn a short or medium gain into a long gain.

Weaknesses
Did not show the ability to run the full route tree in college. Route running could use work, ideally cuts would be sharper and steps would not be wasted. Occasionally does not give full effort on a play if he knows the ball is not coming his way and has missed run blocks that could potentially spring big plays as a result.

Other
Team Captain in 2017 and 2018. First team All Big Ten 2018.

Player Comparison
Tyreek Hill
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was wrong.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-08-2019), Luck4Reich (04-30-2019), smitty46953 (04-30-2019)
  #5  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Coltsalr's Avatar
Coltsalr Coltsalr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,876
Thanks: 653
Thanked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
WR Parris Campbell OSU



Strengths
Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Playmaker. Any touch can end in a TD. Turns short routes into big plays routinely with speed and athleticism. Very capable of making defenders miss in the open field. Rarely drops a catchable ball. Adjusts routes based on coverage defense runs, is often able to find the soft spot in a zone defense. When he blocks, good blocker who can help a runner turn a short or medium gain into a long gain.

Weaknesses
Did not show the ability to run the full route tree in college. Route running could use work, ideally cuts would be sharper and steps would not be wasted. Occasionally does not give full effort on a play if he knows the ball is not coming his way and has missed run blocks that could potentially spring big plays as a result.

Other
Team Captain in 2017 and 2018. First team All Big Ten 2018.

Player Comparison
Tyreek Hill
In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 PM
YDFL Commish YDFL Commish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant Wisconsin
Posts: 4,550
Thanks: 3,311
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default

This isn't Phillip Dorsett.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Chromeburn's Avatar
Chromeburn Chromeburn is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,561
Thanks: 1,478
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,185 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,684
Thanks: 1,066
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
Without the migraines.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Dam8610 Dam8610 is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,622
Thanks: 120
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I really don’t see the hype with Banogu.
I didn't like where he was picked. I thought 49 was a couple rounds early for him. He's got traits, though, so maybe the coaches can turn him into a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Would a more athletic Marcus Washington comparison be fair for Banogu?
It would certainly be a more likely comp than mine, but my comps are based on best case scenario. I see Banogu's ceiling as T.J. Watt, so a more athletic Marcus Washington is a much more likely outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
In your view, what separates him from Phil Dorsett (another guy with blazing speed) and makes him more Tyreek Hill (hopefully minus the horrific domestic abuse) and less Phil Dorsett (unable to translate any of the similarly game breaking speed)?
Honestly? Ability to catch the ball, elusiveness, and tackle breaking ability. Dorsett had good straight line speed, but he was small and didn't make defenders miss. Campbell plays fast, but he can also elude or run over defenders when he needs to. Also bear in mind Hill is the best case scenario comp. And to be clear, that's on the field only. Campbell is an incredibly high character guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
So does NFL.com. I try not to use the same comps as they do. I also don't really like comparing Campbell to Hill or Harvin because he's nothing like them off the field and could even be a team leader in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Without the migraines.
So much this. Campbell is only potentially like Hill on the field. Can't stress that enough.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Coltsalr's Avatar
Coltsalr Coltsalr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,876
Thanks: 653
Thanked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
This isn't Phillip Dorsett.
I'm aware. In fact, I even said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I like a Percy Harvin comp for him myself.
And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Without the migraines.
Right after he was drafted last Friday night:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Campbell was my favorite WR besides the Ole Miss boys.

He could be Percy Harvin without the migraines. The packages we could make with Hines/Campbell could be downright scary.
http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/show...244#post118244

So yes, I'm well aware that he isn't Phil Dorsett, nor do I expect him to be.

Just because I ask a question, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Since Dam had taken the time to do a deep dive into Campbell, I was curious of what characteristics he might see in Campbell specifically. I have my own ideas (which it appears Dam largely confirmed) but I can't claim to have studied him extensively (as I alluded to in the above post, I'm an Ole Miss fan and I watch mostly SEC football. Dam I believe is a Purdue fan so I think he's watched more Campbell than I have in addition to the fact that he did a deep dive tape study).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.