
03-30-2017, 07:40 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 1,209
Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck
Yes, I quoted myself.
Article on Colts.com today quotes Ballard as being ready to trade down to get more draft picks.
I like this thinking. We are not one superstar away from being a good team; we are a lot of solid players away from being a good team AND THEN a couple of superstars away from being great.
However, as a thought exercise (like I previously did):
Indy trades 1-15 to Denver (who is a good team who needs superstars to become great) for 1-20, 3-18 (#82) and 5-34 (#178).
Indy trades 1-20 to Seattle (who is a good team who needs superstars to become great) for 1-26, 3-26 (#90) and 6-26 (#210).
Both those trades have almost exactly the same "trade value" from the NFL trade charts.
Indy now has:
1-26 (#26)
2-14 (#46)
3-16 (#80)
3-18 (#82)
3-26 (#90)
4-15 (#121)
4-31 (#137)
4-38 (#144)
5-14 (#158)
5-34 (#177)
6-26 (#210)
Picking up 4 more picks; two 3rd round, one 5th round and one 6th round, to slide back 11 slots in the first round and STILL pickup someone like OLB Charles Harris, OLB T.J. Watt, ILB Zach Cunningham, ILB Alex Anzalone, CB Chidobe Awuzie or CB Quincy Wilson would be pretty great.
Not everyone who gets drafted into the NFL works out; getting more picks allows for more opportunities to hit on players.
Cheers,
|
I know you can't really trust what GMs say at this time of the offseason, but I think this is Ballard's preference. We'll see if there's anyone willing to move up. It may also be affected by other teams wanting to trade back, so we'll see.
|