Our LB's, particularly our starters, are as follows, our two starting OLB's are two nice role players (Simon/Sheard) that have proven themselves to be quite nice in role playing roles, but not as starters, and amongst defense and coaching staffs that are far superior to ours. I'm still bullish on them, but to act like we couldn't stand to pad our depth around is foolish. Our starting ILB's are Sean Spence, who's maybe an average starter at best, who has weaknesses where we need strengths and Antonio Morrison, who was below average, to put it as absolutely kindly as I can and isn't likely to ever become average.
Our CB's currently contain Vontae Davis, who's an above average starter at the very worst and top-tier when he's at the top of his game. He might not be that guy anymore, but like I said, he's still above average. Rashaan Melvin was an okay player last year. I don't love him and I know he isn't wonderful, but he's not a trainwreck on par with Antonio Morrison. Combine that with Darius Butler being able to help compensate from the Safety position, and the position isn't on total life support.
And again, by sheer virtue of pass rush being the biggest part of a defense in general, the LB's are a bigger need. They just are.
|