Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610
According to everything I found online, it was Brett Veach who traded up for Mahomes, not John Dorsey. Ballard was director of football operations in KC in 2015-2016 while Veach was co-director of player personnel.
GMs that are cautious don't trade first round picks for players, Ballard has done that twice in 7 drafts. It definitely worked with Buckner, and didn't work as hoped with Wentz, but you could see the logic. And there are definitely things Ballard has done in my opinion wrong or I wish he had done differently, like letting Wentz reach the snap threshold to lose the 1 or not drafting Montez Sweat at 26 when he fell to him, but the second one netted the Colts Pittman. Bottom line is he's pulled 3+ starters and many more contributors out of every draft class, that's production even Polian didn't have. If he stops doing that, the team will get worse and it will make sense to replace him. You don't replace that level of production at GM, however, unless you know the replacement will be as good or better at finding talent. I certainly wouldn't replace Ballard to end up with another Ryan Grigson.
|
I have no idea what you are searching for, but just google video of Dorsey selecting Mahomes. I’m on mobile and not going to add links. You can even check Dorsey’s wiki page as well. Dorsey was fired in June, after the draft. That’s probably where you are getting it wrong - the timing was unusual. Yes Veach was hired in 2017 but not until after the draft. Weird timing for a change for sure. Which is why I bring up Ballard’s comments about trading up for a QB and making the wrong decision would lead to him not being there the next year. A comment he’s made to the media more than once. Dorsey was pretty heavily criticized for the move. It isn’t officially the reason he was let go, but the timing of it was strange.