There's a lot to unpack there, GBB, most of which I disagree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88
1. I don't think this is the year Colts go all-in. I think that is 2020.
|
I haven't heard a single thing to suggest Ballard will suddenly change his approach. He puts a value on players and walks away when the bidding goes above that level. Why do you think he will change that approach?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88
2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves.
|
The Colts took a huge leap forward last year. Why? Because they drafted really fucking well, were well coached, and made savvy additions. They have the youngest roster in the NFL (aside from Vinatieri). Are we to believe guys the core of the team has maxed out? Is it impossible for them to improve in the draft again? To get a good contribution from a guy like Funchess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88
I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.
|
Polian simply didn't have the cap space to make free agent moves post-Simon. He had to extend Reggie, Freeney, Sanders, Mathis, Brackett, Saturday, etc.