ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This team is Good, this team is VERY good... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267)

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 08:23 PM

This team is Good, this team is VERY good...
 
Yeah, it's the final PS game, it's a lot of guys that will be looking for new work come Sunday, but there are guys on this squad, playing in this game, that 3 years ago would have been starters!

Campbell looks to have the jets everyone raved about. That YAC on the inside, with guys like Ebron, Funchess, Doyle to prevent safety help- oh damn that's gonna be fun. 4 wides with TY, Cain, Campbell, and name another guy- not sure what the hell you are gonna do to defend it...

Speed, that dude has shown flashes all pre-season and tonight he is showing the whole game, looks like a Maniac in the making frankly.

Kelly, I am convinced this guy has the ability to be a long term NFL starting quarterback, he has excellent instincts, excellent. The tuck and run TD, as Venturi pointed out, he had been setting that up and executed it perfectly. His throws are sharp as hell.

Hogan, damn man the guy just catches the ball and gets up the field.

Green, the 6th round DE, that guy looks strong, shows power to the inside.

Most of all there is this Reich / Sirani offense, it is such a pleasure to watch- I no longer have that dread of sitting there and watching pre-snap and feeling like I know exactly what we are going to do- nope, it looks like a run set for sure, instead you've got a 2 step slant and a guy is already 5 yards into the defensive backfield before the backers even recognize where the ball is. Wide set, trips to one direction, inside delay. These guys are masters at this shit!

Screw it, I am upping it to 11-5 and division champs. I will not fall out of my chair if we are playing in the AFC champ game.

smitty46953 08-29-2019 08:58 PM

Carroll Phillips be a tough cut :cool:

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 128576)
Carroll Phillips be a tough cut :cool:

I don't think you can! That's what I mean, Ballard has filled this thing up with some really talented guys. I think we have 4 serious guys off the edge- 4 of them.

If this team stays relatively healthy they are going to be a tremendously fun group to watch grow.

JAFF 08-29-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 128576)
Carroll Phillips be a tough cut :cool:

Theres going to be young guys getting cut who will play somewhere else.

They should have great punt and kick coverage, these kids can fly

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 09:09 PM

Venturi said early on in camp that he thought this was the best lineup we had had since the 09 SB season.

Those that know that I've been around for a long time (Puck for sure), while I might bitch about a lot, I can't be ridiculed for not following this team pretty damn closely.

That undefeated team, that was the very best team I have ever watched play football period. BUT, I will say, that team also had the absolute sickest QB play that anyone will ever witness- that was a machine and he made EVERYTHING a notch better than it was.

I've watched and loved this team since the seventies. I can say I have never seen a team this talented top to bottom. We have players at every level and we have then 2-3 deep at some positions.

The only real concern I have is the Oline backups, they don't seem physical enough and they don't stay on their blocks. That to me is the only real weakness on this squad.

Ballard is a wizard!

Lov2fish 08-29-2019 09:31 PM

I like Kelly and Speed, A LOT. Chad gets rid of the ball quick. Makes a decision and does it. Seems to pickup the pre snap coverage very well. Speed is just everywhere.

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lov2fish (Post 128588)
I like Kelly and Speed, A LOT. Chad gets rid of the ball quick. Makes a decision and does it. Seems to pickup the pre snap coverage very well. Speed is just everywhere.

Boy Kelly is good with his eyes, real good. Sometimes with the shots from the side or behind it looks like he's locked onto someone, but when they show it from the linebacker shot looking in, he is very subtle with the head tilt and the look off- his check down game is spot on- and so many times that leads to a nice chunk play- very Aaron Rodgers like in that regard, lulls you to sleep as a defender feeling like you can ease up because he's going elsewhere and them boom a little 5 yard dump in the middle and it's a 20 yard gain... I really like what he brings to the table.

DrSpaceman 08-29-2019 09:48 PM

I know its not the starting D and not going against the starting O, but I was very impressed with the secondary and the speed to the ball after a catch. Right on them, no YAC to be had. Some great open field tackles after catches as well.

That INT by Kelly was a bad throw, underthrew it, but otherwise he has looked great. Again, not starters

He does tend to float some passes high though rather than zip them in

Lov2fish 08-29-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 128591)
Boy Kelly is good with his eyes, real good. Sometimes with the shots from the side or behind it looks like he's locked onto someone, but when they show it from the linebacker shot looking in, he is very subtle with the head tilt and the look off- his check down game is spot on- and so many times that leads to a nice chunk play- very Aaron Rodgers like in that regard, lulls you to sleep as a defender feeling like you can ease up because he's going elsewhere and them boom a little 5 yard dump in the middle and it's a 20 yard gain... I really like what he brings to the table.

Would have liked to see him play with the 1's. Brisset might of still been a backup. Colby does throw a beautiful deep ball though. If he is as improved as they are saying this can be a very, very fun season. I have been a fan since I was at my uncles one afternoon in Florida and he was watching Colts versus Bills and Ferguson and Jones were throwing it all over the yard, so I will root them on, 0-16 or 13-3 doesn't matter to me. Bitch moan and complain, but will never cheer another team on.

DrSpaceman 08-29-2019 09:50 PM

What we are seeing right now is for the first time in a long time, on offense, its the coaching, not the QB, that are leading it.

ANd that is a good thing. With Reich calling plays, you don't have to rely on a Manning outsmarting everyone or Luck's athleticism being the key Run the scheme and spread it around to the talent.

Seems like this team has like 8 Tight ends that can play

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 128592)
I know its not the starting D and not going against the starting O, but I was very impressed with the secondary and the speed to the ball after a catch. Right on them, no YAC to be had. Some great open field tackles after catches as well.

That INT by Kelly was a bad throw, underthrew it, but otherwise he has looked great. Again, not starters

He does tend to float some passes high though rather than zip them in

Yeah the keep it in front and rally to the ball, damn, we get there in a hurry.

Tell is one of those guys- I really think that this is a guy who is scrapping to catch the 53 in the final pre-season game, and doing quite well in that regard, who 3 years ago would have been sitting on his helmet this game and probably starting in the slot next Sunday.

Damn I am itching to see this crew out in LA!

ChoppedWood 08-29-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 128594)
What we are seeing right now is for the first time in a long time, on offense, its the coaching, not the QB, that are leading it.

ANd that is a good thing. With Reich calling plays, you don't have to rely on a Manning outsmarting everyone or Luck's athleticism being the key Run the scheme and spread it around to the talent.

Seems like this team has like 8 Tight ends that can play

Yep, 100% agree, and I for one believe that the combo of Ballard and Reich probably look at the Luck situation as just another source of motivation to be even better at their jobs- they are competitors and they seem like the type that would like nothing better to be able to sit down to dinner one evening in February and toast one another with a "fuck-em' all"...

kitekrazy 08-30-2019 12:51 AM

I'll be a skeptic for about the 1st half of the season.

albany ed 08-30-2019 06:41 AM

This might be the week to trade a few players and maybe get some OL depth

ukcolt 08-30-2019 07:46 AM

I haven't seen yesterdays game yet, but have watched all 3 of the other preseason games, and would say hold your horses just a little bit. Our depth guys were playing other teams depth guys and we had a record of 1-3. When Brissett was starting we couldn't move the ball at all, the run game has generally been terrible throughout the preseason games.

Now i do believe that we have the best depth that we have had in a long time, but the facts show that our bottom of the roster guys couldn't win the games against other backups. This could be answered because our offensive line depth has been rough, and makes it hard to actually play a proper game plan, and yet despite this Kelly has played really well.

I really like the depth of our receivers, TE's, the DL and the DB's. Even the LB's have young fast guys now, but they have yet to actually prove anything yet.

I think we will end up being a very good team by the end of the season, but may have some early season troubles, whilst the new guys find their feet.

ChoppedWood 08-30-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 128641)
I haven't seen yesterdays game yet, but have watched all 3 of the other preseason games, and would say hold your horses just a little bit. Our depth guys were playing other teams depth guys and we had a record of 1-3. When Brissett was starting we couldn't move the ball at all, the run game has generally been terrible throughout the preseason games.

Now i do believe that we have the best depth that we have had in a long time, but the facts show that our bottom of the roster guys couldn't win the games against other backups. This could be answered because our offensive line depth has been rough, and makes it hard to actually play a proper game plan, and yet despite this Kelly has played really well.

I really like the depth of our receivers, TE's, the DL and the DB's. Even the LB's have young fast guys now, but they have yet to actually prove anything yet.

I think we will end up being a very good team by the end of the season, but may have some early season troubles, whilst the new guys find their feet.

Holder brought up some similar concerns yesterday. One lingering question is what is the starting 5 Oline going to look like? For whatever reason intra-sqaud, all camp our DL gave them fits- now that could also be a reflection of how improved we may be up front on DL as well. However, we never really saw the starting OL in PS and Holder said he is a bit concerned that because of this hold everyone back from live fire approach they may be rusty coming out of the gate AND he noted how all too frequently when you have guys that haven't really been busting it in camp- those first couple weekends guys arent in shape and you get things like hammy's and groins as they try to go too hard, he even mentioned the fact we start in LA and it will prob be hot as hell out there.

Definitely see some of the risks he's talking about and think that line holds the key to the whole thing. If we see a line play like they played down the stretch and through the Houston playoff game, we should be a damn good football team. If we start getting little nickle and dime injuries early, that will set us back quite a bit- Andrews does not look good, Boehm hasn't looked good, Barton looks like a disaster to this point.

Brylok 08-30-2019 10:13 AM

... preseason

Hoopsdoc 08-30-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 128641)
I haven't seen yesterdays game yet, but have watched all 3 of the other preseason games, and would say hold your horses just a little bit. Our depth guys were playing other teams depth guys and we had a record of 1-3. When Brissett was starting we couldn't move the ball at all, the run game has generally been terrible throughout the preseason games.

Now i do believe that we have the best depth that we have had in a long time, but the facts show that our bottom of the roster guys couldn't win the games against other backups. This could be answered because our offensive line depth has been rough, and makes it hard to actually play a proper game plan, and yet despite this Kelly has played really well.

I really like the depth of our receivers, TE's, the DL and the DB's. Even the LB's have young fast guys now, but they have yet to actually prove anything yet.

I think we will end up being a very good team by the end of the season, but may have some early season troubles, whilst the new guys find their feet.

Although I mainly agree with you, you have to remember, we were only playing a quarterback half the time. Walker doesn’t really count.

Also, I don’t think I saw the Colts do any blitzing or stunting at all, although I could have missed it. They played about the most bland preseason I’ve ever seen, in terms of keeping things close to the vest.

Oldcolt 08-30-2019 11:47 AM

I love your optimism but I have seen to many shitshows after a promising pre season. Preseason play means zilch. We should be ready to handle injuries much better (although as many have pointed out our offensive line depth seems to have taken a hit this pre season) but there have to be huge concerns at the most important spot on the team. I am also concerned about the emotional state of the team, most having found out about Luck just like us on Saturday night. If we get off to a bad start Reich will have his hands full bringing it back around. These dudes are human and they have a built in excuse if things go south (they won't vocalize it but I worry that it might just be there in the back of their minds). My hope is that this team finds a new identity fast and I hope that identity is a fast destructive defense. I would love us to go from a qb centered team to a defensive centered team. Looking forward to finding out what happens.

JAFF 08-30-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 128632)
This might be the week to trade a few players and maybe get some OL depth

I agee on the need, I'm not sure anyone is going to give up anyone who's worth a pick. Everone is short on good O linemen and I think the Colts are lucky to have what they have.

ChoppedWood 08-30-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 128652)
... preseason

Yeah I am normally right beside you on that bus, PS is generally shit. Normally though I watch it and just see a bunch of meh out there doing stupid shit and raising their hands asking if they can please be cut, this year it has been different. A high # of guys have looked like real NFL caliber players. Not a ton of penalties, execution of routes, real man coverage, etc...

No the Hart kid with his 2 botched punts last night, that's exactly what I expect out of PS play. That was hard to watch.

JAFF 08-30-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 128739)
Yeah I am normally right beside you on that bus, PS is generally shit. Normally though I watch it and just see a bunch of meh out there doing stupid shit and raising their hands asking if they can please be cut, this year it has been different. A high # of guys have looked like real NFL caliber players. Not a ton of penalties, execution of routes, real man coverage, etc...

No the Hart kid with his 2 botched punts last night, that's exactly what I expect out of PS play. That was hard to watch.

If you asked the guy trying to catch those punts, he would probably agree with you.

It's really hard, just in practice. Does anyone remember when Marvin was returning punts? He would have been great,, except for the fact that teams would have a clear run on him to knock him into next week.

ChoppedWood 08-30-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 128740)
If you asked the guy trying to catch those punts, he would probably agree with you.

It's really hard, just in practice. Does anyone remember when Marvin was returning punts? He would have been great,, except for the fact that teams would have a clear run on him to knock him into next week.

I felt bad for that dude. First one, yeah ok trying to make something happen, took his eyes off... it happens. Man that 2nd one, you gotta know to throw the hand up and fight another day. Trying to make the team, trying to prove he could make something happen... bad situation for him.

Maniac 08-30-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 128632)
This might be the week to trade a few players and maybe get some OL depth

Looks like we traded away some OL depth. We sent Boehm to the Dolphins for an undisclosed pick per rotoworld

I'm guessing Ballard and the scouts have their eyes on some other team's possible cut downs to bring in.

omahacolt 08-30-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 128581)
Venturi said early on in camp that he thought this was the best lineup we had had since the 09 SB season.

Those that know that I've been around for a long time (Puck for sure), while I might bitch about a lot, I can't be ridiculed for not following this team pretty damn closely.

That undefeated team, that was the very best team I have ever watched play football period. BUT, I will say, that team also had the absolute sickest QB play that anyone will ever witness- that was a machine and he made EVERYTHING a notch better than it was.

I've watched and loved this team since the seventies. I can say I have never seen a team this talented top to bottom. We have players at every level and we have then 2-3 deep at some positions.

The only real concern I have is the Oline backups, they don't seem physical enough and they don't stay on their blocks. That to me is the only real weakness on this squad.

Ballard is a wizard!

The 09 team was not the best team you watched.

Luck4Reich 08-30-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 128795)
The 09 team was not the best team you watched.

The team that lost to the Steelers that year Dungy son died was for me. 2005 team?

Brylok 08-30-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 128796)
The team that lost to the Steelers that year Dungy son died was for me. 2005 team?

2005 for me, too. Still gut-wrenching whenever I think about it. Roethlisberger flat on his back. Nick Harper and his stab wound from his wife the day before the game. Vandershank's shank right...
Thanks for reminding me about it again.

ChoppedWood 08-31-2019 08:36 AM

Yeah 2005 was absurdity, that was a team that could score on every single play. Still, 2009, that team was going to run the table and become the only team to go wire to wire... until Polian got scared of his own shadow and F'd everyone over.

ChoppedWood 08-31-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 128799)
2005 for me, too. Still gut-wrenching whenever I think about it. Roethlisberger flat on his back. Nick Harper and his stab wound from his wife the day before the game. Vandershank's shank right...
Thanks for reminding me about it again.

Still, to this day, have not watched that replay and if it comes on, I turn away. Most revolting series of events in sports history.

Chromeburn 08-31-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 128818)
Yeah 2005 was absurdity, that was a team that could score on every single play. Still, 2009, that team was going to run the table and become the only team to go wire to wire... until Polian got scared of his own shadow and F'd everyone over.

I heard Polian defend that decision again the other day. Stubborn SOB.

Chromeburn 08-31-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 128739)
Yeah I am normally right beside you on that bus, PS is generally shit. Normally though I watch it and just see a bunch of meh out there doing stupid shit and raising their hands asking if they can please be cut, this year it has been different. A high # of guys have looked like real NFL caliber players. Not a ton of penalties, execution of routes, real man coverage, etc...

No the Hart kid with his 2 botched punts last night, that's exactly what I expect out of PS play. That was hard to watch.

Receiving kicks is definitely a skill. Problem is most of these guys were starters their whole career and have never done it or played special teams sparingly. Then they get to the pros and its the first time doing it. Hart missed too much practice time IMO.

IndyNorm 08-31-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 128799)
2005 for me, too. Still gut-wrenching whenever I think about it. Roethlisberger flat on his back. Nick Harper and his stab wound from his wife the day before the game. Vandershank's shank right...
Thanks for reminding me about it again.

IMHO '05 was definitely the best Colts team but also the most disappointing. Everyone remembers the Nick Harper play, but the Colts really didn't deserve to win that game. They came out flat and were very much outplayed in all facets by a team they had dominated just over a month prior to that :mad:

IndyNorm 08-31-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekrazy (Post 128625)
I'll be a skeptic for about the 1st half of the season.

I'm with you, but I think we'll find out how good this team is in the first month of the season. I know we shouldn't put too much stock in week 1, but I think it will be pretty telling. Give LAC a good game and there's reason for optimism. Get curbed stomped and probably not.

VeveJones007 08-31-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 128842)
I heard Polian defend that decision again the other day. Stubborn SOB.

That team was absolutely gassed and running on fumes in December. I still think it put them in a better position to win the title, which they would’ve done without Freeney’s injury or Hank Baskett’s/Pierre Garcon’s slippery fingers.

omahacolt 08-31-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 128796)
The team that lost to the Steelers that year Dungy son died was for me. 2005 team?

That’s the one

Hoopsdoc 08-31-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 129007)
That’s the one

That was the best team I’ve ever seen.

Chromeburn 08-31-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 128875)
That team was absolutely gassed and running on fumes in December. I still think it put them in a better position to win the title, which they would’ve done without Freeney’s injury or Hank Baskett’s/Pierre Garcon’s slippery fingers.

I think it took the wind out of their sails. We will never know because his way didn’t work either.

VeveJones007 08-31-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 129028)
I think it took the wind out of their sails. We will never know because his way didn’t work either.

Completely disagree, as evidenced by the games against the Ravens and Jets. They were reenergized and a lot healthier.

Luck4Reich 09-01-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 129040)
Completely disagree, as evidenced by the games against the Ravens and Jets. They were reenergized and a lot healthier.

I think not being able to make the right defensive adjustment hurt a lot. Once Freeney couldn't bring it because of that injury Brees had too much time. The first half Freeney harrassed him a lot.

They really should have won that game. I blame more on bad coaching decisions. Which many of our Colts teams overcame because we had so many talented players. But when coaches decide to left off the gas and kick a FG instead of the TD or putting in players like Basket during crucial moments it can decide the game.

I feel like if that Colts team would have played the Saints a best out of 10 the Colts win it at least 7 times. The better team lost that day.

VeveJones007 09-01-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 129082)
I think not being able to make the right defensive adjustment hurt a lot. Once Freeney couldn't bring it because of that injury Brees had too much time. The first half Freeney harrassed him a lot.

They really should have won that game. I blame more on bad coaching decisions. Which many of our Colts teams overcame because we had so many talented players. But when coaches decide to left off the gas and kick a FG instead of the TD or putting in players like Basket during crucial moments it can decide the game.

I feel like if that Colts team would have played the Saints a best out of 10 the Colts win it at least 7 times. The better team lost that day.

Agreed, but my point was about setting the team up as best they could for the Super Bow that year. In particular, Mathis and Freeney were absolutely gassed by Week 15 and needed the time to recover. The team was better equipped for Baltimore and NYJ because they were well-rested, and it showed in those two games.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.