ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Frank Reich Still the Problem? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154203)

Oldcolt 11-24-2022 04:45 PM

Anyone think Frank Reich is the answer to our problems?

omahacolt 11-24-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeSayDayo (Post 251459)
Well what would you do if you were a GM making millions in the NFL working for a team in QB purgatory?

Take a stupid swing at a QB that isn't worth it and you're gone in 3 years instead of the six that Ballard has managed to pull off. He knew that the second Luck retired and found ways to prove his value just enough while treading water.

What really fucked everything up was Q, Leonard, Smith, Taylor, and Pittman ALL playing above where they were drafted (And that's saying a lot for Q who was #6 overall for a G). Paying Smith was justified at the time, and the same goes for Leonard and Nelson. He absolutely had to pay them, and they earned it.
How could anyone have forecasted the obscene regression from almost everyone on O? None of us did, nobody in the media did, and I don't think the coaches did either. If the line was that bad wouldn't we have heard more chatter in the preseason? I would like to believe that Ballard or Grigson or my 6 year old daughter would have made a move before the season if they foresaw the line being this big of a dumpster fire.
Hell we could have traded Leonard for a LT straight up before the season started.
Now we are saddled with Shaq's payday and mental health tweets for the next full season before it actually becomes feasible to dump him. Don't get me wrong- he has been an unbelievably productive player for us...but something never sat right with me having our 225 pound linebacker making 130 tackles a season. At some point, that Hyundai was gonna break down.

As for the other guys- I think we will get Smith and Q on track and they will stick around. Kelly has pretty well played himself off the team- and it sucks because of the shit he has had to endure- but I have full confidence that a change of scenery will actually do wonders for him and his wife, and he could have a nice ending to his career with another team. Total trade candidate there for us.

Hines? Yah we kinda fucked that one up too- Not worth the contract, incredibly replaceable player...glad we got something for him and someone that would take his shitty contract.

im not so mad about the qb situation as i am always having the same major issues and always having a ton of cap space. i have no interest in winning the most cap in the nfl award.

JAFF 11-24-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 251496)
im not so mad about the qb situation as i am always having the same major issues and always having a ton of cap space. i have no interest in winning the most cap in the nfl award.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

If you click on the 2023 tab it says the cap space for next year is:

$33,956,686

So, is that a ton of space? Its a serious question.

albany ed 11-25-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 251489)
Anyone think Frank Reich is the answer to our problems?

The Colts have many problems, the biggest problem being the OL. I think some of them have physical injuries that don't stop them from playing, but do stop them from performing. Once their weaknesses were exploited, the healthy players tried to adjust and that led to the entire line being out of sync. That's my opinion. Matt Ryan is at the very end of a decent career, but his arm is suspect, his ability to avoid any kind of pressure is apparent, and his propensity to fumble is catastrophic. There are other problems as well, and I don't think any coach could fix them this year.

However, as a fan, to watch an unemotional coach on the sidelines after another very shitty turnover or stupid penalty stopping drive or other missed assignments, I get frustrated and pissed. There are times when I feel I would like to slap Reich in the face and say "GET ANGRY AND CHEW SOMEONES ASS OUT!" He was the field boss and he just looked like a powerless sad sack that did nothing. As a fan, I wanted him fired, Why? Because you can't fire everyone.

Racehorse 11-25-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 251505)
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

If you click on the 2023 tab it says the cap space for next year is:

$33,956,686

So, is that a ton of space? Its a serious question.

Not really. We have just 39 players under contract for next year. Means we have to fill 12-14 spots with that $39M. If we add 12 players at 1.5M per, that leaves $21M to use to bid on free agents. You might get one real stud, or two almost at that level with that money. By real stud, I mean a top 5 player at his position, and those rarely even make it to free agency without being tagged.

omahacolt 11-25-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 251505)
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

If you click on the 2023 tab it says the cap space for next year is:

$33,956,686

So, is that a ton of space? Its a serious question.

no

but i am talking in general. we have had holes on the team and a lot of cap space.

YDFL Commish 11-25-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 251496)
im not so mad about the qb situation as i am always having the same major issues and always having a ton of cap space. i have no interest in winning the most cap in the nfl award.

I so much agree. I look at what Howie Rozeman does with Eagles. He identifies a problem at DT and goes out and signs Joseph and Suh, who came up big vs the Colts.

He realizes he made a mistake drafting Raegor at WR, move on and trades for AJ Brown.

Ballard doesn't do that. The young guys gotta play mantra gets old, when the young guys don't produce.

Oldcolt 11-25-2022 11:53 AM

I prefer a head coach that has a general control of the team and is involved on the sidelines, encouraging players and having a 'feel' for what is going on during the game. Having the play calling responsibility made that impossible for Frank to do.

Racehorse 11-25-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 251523)

However, as a fan, to watch an unemotional coach on the sidelines after another very shitty turnover or stupid penalty stopping drive or other missed assignments, I get frustrated and pissed. There are times when I feel I would like to slap Reich in the face and say "GET ANGRY AND CHEW SOMEONES ASS OUT!" He was the field boss and he just looked like a powerless sad sack that did nothing. As a fan, I wanted him fired, Why? Because you can't fire everyone.

I am not going to address the other paragraph, as I am not as knowledgeable as you are, but this paragraph is spot on!

Colts And Orioles 11-25-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 251192)



When he can set his feet and throw, he is pretty good. The same goes for just about any QB, unless they have a canon for an arm. The Colts' O-line is not giving any of the QB's time. Ryan has the experience to read a defense, and adjust. But if he can't step into a throw, it looks bad.

I'm not making excuses, but did anyone believe, post-COVID, that the line would be this fouled up ??? This group is struggling to play better than the Grigson O-lines ...... I never thought that I would type that.




o


The fact that Ryan has somehow gone 4-4-1 with this offensive line is pretty damned impressive.

o


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.