ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are the odds we have a season? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102840)

Dewey 5 08-10-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165554)
People like me that go to work everyday and don’t make excuses and worst poster is a matter of opinion I could care less what any of you think about me but all I said from the beginning is 100% we will have a season we’ll see who ends up being right

It's couldn't not could. Carry on.

Discflinger 08-10-2020 09:47 PM

That expression out of idiots’ mouths always confused me, as well.

I think that the one thing we all can agree on is that a vaccine can’t come soon enough. Or is it “...can come soon...”?

Butter 08-10-2020 10:29 PM

Fuckin Hell I feel stupider from reading some of this shit

Ironshaft 08-11-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 165547)
Expected, but sucks, I think IU was gonna have a breakout year.

Good golly, I hope you are speaking about Iowa University when you say IU.

Because for Indiana University to have a break-out year in football to happen, the windchill factor in he!! would have to be pretty low!

:)

Ironshaft 08-11-2020 02:05 PM

My two cents on COVID (not that anyone cares but everyone seems to be throwing it in):

- Serious medical condition for some small portion of the population with one or more of the following medical issues: older, hypertensive, diabetic, have cancer or have other compromised health issues. Yeah, I have the trifecta of being older with hypertension and diabetes! Yeah me! :)

- Non-serious medical issue for the rest of the population. Like having the flu.

- Very conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing, length of time it is viable outside of a body, amount of virus in a cough viral load or effectiveness of disinfecting surfaces. For every study that concludes one way, I can find one that concludes another way.

- While the virus is a concern, the fear mongering around the virus is WAY over the top. It has purpose.

- Study out of the UK this past weekend over their summer term: Apr - Jun, 110,000 school aged children, over 200 school districts. Almost zero reported cases of either student to student transmission or student to teacher transmission. The fear mongering about our kids going back to school is over the top.

- If this were 2019 or 2021, I think the fear mongering would be significantly less than what we have seen this year. I think the fear mongering is attempting to effect an election.

- I predict that the fear mongering about COVID will almost disappear on 04 November 2020. The media will start fear mongering about something else (Trump the Dictator or Biden the Savior) but I don't think it will be COVID anymore.

My two cents.

Oldcolt 08-11-2020 03:33 PM

Seriously doubt that the rest of the world has put their economies on hold until Nov 4 and the US elections. The entire world seems to be 'fear mongering'. Don't think 'fear mongering' is going anywhere soon.

TheMugwump 08-11-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 165633)
Seriously doubt that the rest of the world has put their economies on hold until Nov 4 and the US elections. The entire world seems to be 'fear mongering'. Don't think 'fear mongering' is going anywhere soon.

Exactly. And as for, "...conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing...", masks and social distancing seem to be working quite well in many of the world's countries, let alone in NYC, where the virus was rampant at first, and is now in a much better place than much of the rest of the country.

Masks work. They aren't perfect, but anything that cuts down on transmission, even a little bit, is not to be argued against, at least not credibly.

Social distancing works. It's an airborne, transmittable virus. How any study could show that distancing doesn't slow transmission is...again, not credible.

As for finding studies that conclude different ways, sure. Science is a process, not a perfect answer. But you can't find peer-reviewed, credible studies that equally support both sides.

And kids transmit the disease. I am an elementary school teacher, have personal experience with this. Unfortunately.

Pez 08-11-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 165581)
It's couldn't not could. Carry on.

[deep breath, here goes...] I disagree. While both are correct, but they mean slightly different things. In this context, apballin has used the proper context. Allow me to explain:

"I could care less about what you think of me..." means that the person wishes they cared less than they actually do, eg, if they truly could not care less, they likely would not care enough to type the phrase on a message board.

"I could not care less..." means simply that the person cannot care less than they do currently. This does not automatically mean that their level of care is zero. Oddly, if a person truly cared zero, then this phrase is actually an oxymoron, else you would not hear it. A person that chooses to vocalize that they care zero about something, obviously does not care zero, because they care enough to vocalize it. Thus they MUST care More than zero.

The second definition of this usage is more like an obligation. I care about the welfare of my children very deeply and I could not care less about that. Obviously this is also a correct usage.

Good God, I hope we play some football soon. Miss you fuckers.

Brylok 08-11-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165554)
People like me that go to work everyday and don’t make excuses and worst poster is a matter of opinion I could care less what any of you think about me but all I said from the beginning is 100% we will have a season we’ll see who ends up being right

Betcha I've worked more days during this pandemic than you have. I've been averaging 1.5 days off per week since April. I've gotten it under control now, at a manageable 50-55 hours/week. Hell, I got here at 9AM and I'm still at work. So let's not go there. Also, it's never been about who ends up being right, it's about not being a fucking douchebag. I guess you're just dense.

Chromeburn 08-11-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 165638)
Exactly. And as for, "...conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing...", masks and social distancing seem to be working quite well in many of the world's countries, let alone in NYC, where the virus was rampant at first, and is now in a much better place than much of the rest of the country.

Masks work. They aren't perfect, but anything that cuts down on transmission, even a little bit, is not to be argued against, at least not credibly.

Social distancing works. It's an airborne, transmittable virus. How any study could show that distancing doesn't slow transmission is...again, not credible.

As for finding studies that conclude different ways, sure. Science is a process, not a perfect answer. But you can't find peer-reviewed, credible studies that equally support both sides.

And kids transmit the disease. I am an elementary school teacher, have personal experience with this. Unfortunately.

I don’t understand how masks got politicized. They don’t protect the user 100% that well, but they protect everyone else from the user. If everyone wears them then we bring transmission down. If something is telling you different then it is someone with an agenda. Wear a mask, protect your neighbor.

As for the fear mongering. Covid is now the third largest killer in the US now, and doesn’t seem to be stopping. If people don’t take it seriously it will not go away. People don’t have to freak out, just don’t minimize it either. You could say the left leaning news is talking too much Covid, but the right leaning news talks about protests 90% of the time. And I watch both. My sister lives in Portland, lives downtown works in the city, and she says she hasn’t even seen any of the protests. But watching the news you would think the city is burning down. I think we have a tendency to sensationalize issues more than they are in general. But I really don’t care about graffiti on public buildings as much when compared to a pandemic that could kill me.

People just need to listen to the medical advice from the experts, not the president or infowars or that one YouTube poster who also thinks the world is flat. Take it seriously, listen to advice and take precautions. And we can then end this sooner and get back to football.

omahacolt 08-11-2020 08:46 PM

People that don’t wear masks have little dicks

HoosierinFL 08-11-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 165627)
- Non-serious medical issue for the rest of the population. Like having the flu.

This is not true. Some % of otherwise healthy people die anyway. Even more have long term health complications that can include heart arrhythmia, clotting disorder, autoimmune disease, brain damage, lung damage, and more. Some of these long-term complications, esp the auto-immune response, are the strongest in children.

Quote:

- Very conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing, length of time it is viable outside of a body, amount of virus in a cough viral load or effectiveness of disinfecting surfaces. For every study that concludes one way, I can find one that concludes another way.
the short answer: if masks did not help prevent the wearer from spreading infectious disease, the surgeons would not have started wearing them during surgery. Its a simple as that. Surgeons wearing masks and gloves is to protect the patient from the surgeon, and the same holds true for spreading infectious disease in the general population.
You have to learn to deal with the ambiguities of science, different studies with different methods, samples, measures, etc will give varying results. Its the inherent nature of science. Scientists are not alarmed by this variance, and still see the trend and understand why the studies vary, and they did not waver in their recommendations for mask wearing and social distancing.

Quote:

- While the virus is a concern, the fear mongering around the virus is WAY over the top. It has purpose.
despite your hinting at some politicization, which vague nonsense, the reality is that 162,000 americans have died since this started. That is triple the numbers of "bad" flu year, and we're not even a full 6 months into this yet. It could be a lot worse if we don't follow protocols, (and it could have been so *less* worse if we'd done what most other civilized countries do, but somehow that's not "freedom"?)
And don't start with suspicions about the counting of deaths (in terms of supposed mislabeled causes of death). When you have something on this scale happening so quickly, data collection is bound to be inconsistent, but that is still a real body count above. An error rate of 10% (which is unrealistically high) still means 145,000+ dead.

Quote:

- Study out of the UK this past weekend over their summer term: Apr - Jun, 110,000 school aged children, over 200 school districts. Almost zero reported cases of either student to student transmission or student to teacher transmission. The fear mongering about our kids going back to school is over the top.
You got a link? I can't find any such paper and everything I've found suggested that in England they have keep kids out of school all summer.

Quote:

- If this were 2019 or 2021, I think the fear mongering would be significantly less than what we have seen this year. I think the fear mongering is attempting to effect an election.
again, the deaths are real and dwarf all the "whatabouttas". And is it really fear that drives the mask and social distancing mandates?

Quote:

- I predict that the fear mongering about COVID will almost disappear on 04 November 2020. The media will start fear mongering about something else (Trump the Dictator or Biden the Savior) but I don't think it will be COVID anymore.
.
Your predictions will be wrong. People will not suddenly stop dying. Its not fake. All these sports are not voluntarily losing millions to push some political agenda. You believe in nonsense from fox news.

JAFF 08-12-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 165627)
My two cents on COVID (not that anyone cares but everyone seems to be throwing it in):

- Serious medical condition for some small portion of the population with one or more of the following medical issues: older, hypertensive, diabetic, have cancer or have other compromised health issues. Yeah, I have the trifecta of being older with hypertension and diabetes! Yeah me! :)

- Non-serious medical issue for the rest of the population. Like having the flu.

- Very conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing, length of time it is viable outside of a body, amount of virus in a cough viral load or effectiveness of disinfecting surfaces. For every study that concludes one way, I can find one that concludes another way.

- While the virus is a concern, the fear mongering around the virus is WAY over the top. It has purpose.

- Study out of the UK this past weekend over their summer term: Apr - Jun, 110,000 school aged children, over 200 school districts. Almost zero reported cases of either student to student transmission or student to teacher transmission. The fear mongering about our kids going back to school is over the top.

- If this were 2019 or 2021, I think the fear mongering would be significantly less than what we have seen this year. I think the fear mongering is attempting to effect an election.

- I predict that the fear mongering about COVID will almost disappear on 04 November 2020. The media will start fear mongering about something else (Trump the Dictator or Biden the Savior) but I don't think it will be COVID anymore.

My two cents.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/newr...reply&p=165627

Better wear a mask. This would explain why hot spots occur in stores, nursing homes, schools, bars, churches where people are not wearing masks

Pez 08-12-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 165666)
People that don’t wear masks have little dicks

I wear masks and have the dick of a 5 foot 10 white guy that wears size 9.5 shoes. There is a venn diagram dying to be made here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apballin 08-12-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 165660)
Betcha I've worked more days during this pandemic than you have. I've been averaging 1.5 days off per week since April. I've gotten it under control now, at a manageable 50-55 hours/week. Hell, I got here at 9AM and I'm still at work. So let's not go there. Also, it's never been about who ends up being right, it's about not being a fucking douchebag. I guess you're just dense.

100% there’s a season I’ll bet whatever you want since you work so much you should have some extra change to lose

HoosierinFL 08-12-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 165693)
I wear masks and have the dick of a 5 foot 10 white guy that wears size 9.5 shoes. There is a venn diagram dying to be made here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You mean average. You have an average dick, congrats.

IndyNorm 08-13-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 165664)
I don’t understand how masks got politicized. They don’t protect the user 100% that well, but they protect everyone else from the user. If everyone wears them then we bring transmission down. If something is telling you different then it is someone with an agenda. Wear a mask, protect your neighbor.

As for the fear mongering. Covid is now the third largest killer in the US now, and doesn’t seem to be stopping. If people don’t take it seriously it will not go away. People don’t have to freak out, just don’t minimize it either. You could say the left leaning news is talking too much Covid, but the right leaning news talks about protests 90% of the time. And I watch both. My sister lives in Portland, lives downtown works in the city, and she says she hasn’t even seen any of the protests. But watching the news you would think the city is burning down. I think we have a tendency to sensationalize issues more than they are in general. But I really don’t care about graffiti on public buildings as much when compared to a pandemic that could kill me.

People just need to listen to the medical advice from the experts, not the president or infowars or that one YouTube poster who also thinks the world is flat. Take it seriously, listen to advice and take precautions. And we can then end this sooner and get back to football.


Masks became politicized b/c the experts in the US (and by experts I mean Dr. Adams, Dr. Fauchi, etc.; not Trump) royally fucked up by initially telling us that masks wouldn't really help and in some cases (Dr. Adams) urged the population not to purchase them. Then a ~month into it they pulled a 180 and started telling everyone to wear them. There should have been enough data between Asian countries that handled the outbreak well (Japan, Taiwan) and European countries that didn't (Italy, France) for our experts to have known that wearing masks were a good idea.

With that being said, wearing a mask and keeping your distance from people outside your home are pretty easy asks (although I have yet to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses; fortunately I can get by pretty well without them), and we should all be following those recommendations/mandates until this is over with.

Oldcolt 08-13-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 165778)
Masks became politicized b/c the experts in the US (and by experts I mean Dr. Adams, Dr. Fauchi, etc.; not Trump) royally fucked up by initially telling us that masks wouldn't really help and in some cases (Dr. Adams) urged the population not to purchase them. Then a ~month into it they pulled a 180 and started telling everyone to wear them. There should have been enough data between Asian countries that handled the outbreak well (Japan, Taiwan) and European countries that didn't (Italy, France) for our experts to have known that wearing masks were a good idea.

With that being said, wearing a mask and keeping your distance from people outside your home are pretty easy asks (although I have yet to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses; fortunately I can get by pretty well without them), and we should all be following those recommendations/mandates until this is over with.

Science changes when new facts emerge. Europe also was told no mask initially. When evidence that masks worked became obvious they changed their policy without any political issues. We have issues because the guy running the country needs division and doesn't put his full weight behind the wearing of masks.

IndyNorm 08-13-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 165779)
Science changes when new facts emerge. Europe also was told no mask initially. When evidence that masks worked became obvious they changed their policy without any political issues. We have issues because the guy running the country needs division and doesn't put his full weight behind the wearing of masks.

While scientists are learning more about the virus itself everyday, masks have been around for centuries if not millennia. You would think epidemiologists would have had data on the uses of masks in similar types of virus outbreaks to make a better recommendation than urging people not to wear them. At the very least they should have been able to put together Asia=masks=minimal outbreak, Europe=no masks=shit hitting the fan.

Anyway, I agree that Trump is part of the problem and that anti-maskers are ricockulous. I was just answering the question as to how mask wearing became politicized in the first place.

rcubed 08-13-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 165779)
Science changes when new facts emerge. Europe also was told no mask initially. When evidence that masks worked became obvious they changed their policy without any political issues. We have issues because the guy running the country needs division and doesn't put his full weight behind the wearing of masks.

This is a good post. Things change and we need to adapt quickly. Wearing a mask shouldnt be a big deal and we could cut down transmission rates if everyone wore them. But trump chose to not get behind the advice of scientists because his whole platform is "he knows best" and the dumbass people that blindly follow his every word got right behind it. Add on top that we have a lot of stupid people in this country that fight against something just to fight. Trump recently started somewhat supporting masks because he saw his poll numbers plummeting. Trump cares about getting reelected, nothing else.

HoosierinFL 08-13-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 165779)
Science changes when new facts emerge. Europe also was told no mask initially. When evidence that masks worked became obvious they changed their policy without any political issues. We have issues because the guy running the country needs division and doesn't put his full weight behind the wearing of masks.

Also at the time, medical masks were in very short supply, and they were worried that people hoarding them would cause a shortage for front-line personnel.

HoosierinFL 08-13-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 165784)
While scientists are learning more about the virus itself everyday, masks have been around for centuries if not millennia. You would think epidemiologists would have had data on the uses of masks in similar types of virus outbreaks to make a better recommendation than urging people not to wear them. At the very least they should have been able to put together Asia=masks=minimal outbreak, Europe=no masks=shit hitting the fan.

Anyway, I agree that Trump is part of the problem and that anti-maskers are ricockulous. I was just answering the question as to how mask wearing became politicized in the first place.

Partly the issue was that in the beginning they had no idea there was symptom-free transmission, meaning people could be positive with the virus, not experience symptoms, and still transmit this virus.
The advise originally was "if you are sick, quarantine yourself and wear a mask if you have to go out" which was before they discovered symptomless transmission.

Oh and you're wrong about the history of masks. Up until the early 1900s, doctors did not wear masks nor did they wash their hands, and were offended when it was suggested that they should do both.

The closest things to masks before then were those weird bird masks they wore during the plague, but that was just based on the "bad air" myth (the masks contained perfumes and incense thought to cleanse the air) and the plague was bloodborne anyway (fleas) so those didn't work at all.

Oldcolt 08-13-2020 01:15 PM

Brand new diseases take time to understand. I think the scientific community 'thought' masks would be effective IF this was transmitted mostly thru airborne routes (remember wiping down groceries before we realized it was so much harder to get from surfaces) and (I believe this is key) there were a shortage of PPE for health care providers. Once it was proven to be mostly airborne it had to be proven that masks could prevent transmission before you ask a population to all wear masks. Once epidemiological studies showed benefit we changed. One positive thing about wearing masks is that it should really tamp down the flu season. It is a mess. I wish our government would just trust the scientific community and do what they say.

Maniac 08-13-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 165778)
Masks became politicized b/c the experts in the US (and by experts I mean Dr. Adams, Dr. Fauchi, etc.; not Trump) royally fucked up by initially telling us that masks wouldn't really help and in some cases (Dr. Adams) urged the population not to purchase them. Then a ~month into it they pulled a 180 and started telling everyone to wear them. There should have been enough data between Asian countries that handled the outbreak well (Japan, Taiwan) and European countries that didn't (Italy, France) for our experts to have known that wearing masks were a good idea.

With that being said, wearing a mask and keeping your distance from people outside your home are pretty easy asks (although I have yet to find a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses; fortunately I can get by pretty well without them), and we should all be following those recommendations/mandates until this is over with.

Fauci stated that the reason they didn't initially recommend masks was because an even higher public run on buying them would have made it a dire situation for medical professionals. So they did it to keep things under control until enough were produced that they could handle the surge in demand. People don't seem to understand that Fauci is not a policy maker. He doesn't do that. He is an advisor. He gives information and recommendations and then the administration makes decisions based on those. When we heard him at press conferences and such, it was him supporting and explaining the decision the administration made.

That's not what politicized the masks though. Trump politicized them. He made fun of people wearing them. He encouraged people to revolt against governors who were trying to get their residents to wear masks and take it seriously. He said the virus would "go away" and that we would be at zero cases soon. His ridiculously poor leadership was what caused the politicization of masks and of the virus itself. He demonized medical experts and thought he knew more than they did. He found out otherwise and is now lying to try to cover up his ineptitude by trying to deflect it onto others. He is a con man.

Maniac 08-13-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 165796)
Partly the issue was that in the beginning they had no idea there was symptom-free transmission, meaning people could be positive with the virus, not experience symptoms, and still transmit this virus.
The advise originally was "if you are sick, quarantine yourself and wear a mask if you have to go out" which was before they discovered symptomless transmission.

Oh and you're wrong about the history of masks. Up until the early 1900s, doctors did not wear masks nor did they wash their hands, and were offended when it was suggested that they should do both.

The closest things to masks before then were those weird bird masks they wore during the plague, but that was just based on the "bad air" myth (the masks contained perfumes and incense thought to cleanse the air) and the plague was bloodborne anyway (fleas) so those didn't work at all.

They knew that there was asymptomatic transmission. Listen to the Joe Rogan interview with Dr. Michael Osterholm from March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts

He mentions it at around 1:20 in.

They just didn't have the supply of masks to handle a huge public demand at that time.

Dr. Osterholm is a great person to listen to and learn from. He is not political. He only wants to find out the truth, the data, and let the public know what that data and truth is.

He did a good interview about the effectiveness of masks a little while ago as well.

Oldcolt 08-14-2020 08:39 AM

Osterholm is one guy I really like. Straight shooter just gives facts that you can rely on. His views and predictions have been spot on. I agree completely with Maniacs assessment of what went wrong so far.

Spike 08-14-2020 07:36 PM

I don't really give a shit if we have a season or not. I stopped watching
MLB and the NBA because of their political bullshit. Same goes with the NFL. I cancelled my Sunday NFL ticket for the same reasons. All of the leftist on this board are probably gonna be pissed off at me, but I really don't give a damn.

rm1369 08-14-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 165902)
I don't really give a shit if we have a season or not. I stopped watching
MLB and the NBA because of their political bullshit. Same goes with the NFL. I cancelled my Sunday NFL ticket for the same reasons. All of the leftist on this board are probably gonna be pissed off at me, but I really don't give a damn.

As a “leftist” I fully support your decision. Personally I’m proud of you for standing up for your belief that players should just shut up and entertain you. I’m sure you’ll be sorely missed.

Spike 08-15-2020 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 165915)
As a “leftist” I fully support your decision. Personally I’m proud of you for standing up for your belief that players should just shut up and entertain you. I’m sure you’ll be sorely missed.

Thanks, but I seriously doubt I will be missed. There are a lot of posters who left that were way better posters than me. I use to love sports, not anymore.

Having said that, I'm not going anywhere unless the moderators ban me. I just hope sports gets back to entertaining us and they quit using sports for their political agenda.

IndyNorm 08-15-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 165827)
Fauci stated that the reason they didn't initially recommend masks was because an even higher public run on buying them would have made it a dire situation for medical professionals. So they did it to keep things under control until enough were produced that they could handle the surge in demand. People don't seem to understand that Fauci is not a policy maker. He doesn't do that. He is an advisor. He gives information and recommendations and then the administration makes decisions based on those. When we heard him at press conferences and such, it was him supporting and explaining the decision the administration made.

That's not what politicized the masks though. Trump politicized them. He made fun of people wearing them. He encouraged people to revolt against governors who were trying to get their residents to wear masks and take it seriously. He said the virus would "go away" and that we would be at zero cases soon. His ridiculously poor leadership was what caused the politicization of masks and of the virus itself. He demonized medical experts and thought he knew more than they did. He found out otherwise and is now lying to try to cover up his ineptitude by trying to deflect it onto others. He is a con man.

Agree on Trump. He's certainly a big part of the problem and could and should have mostly put an end to the anti-maskers months ago. My point was that the experts initially saying masks weren't effective has given the anti-maskers a lot of fuel to put on their fire. I can't say that I know any anti-maskers (or have spent time with any since this all started), but that's typically one of the first things brought up on any social media "debate" that I've seen.

I saw that statement from Fauci on the concerns over mask shortages. It'd be interesting to see if there's any data on how many hospital grade masks were being stock and sold by places like Walmart and CVS. If that number is significant then fair enough. Although in hindsight it would have been better IMO to have issued an executive order that distributors could only sell them to medical facilities (which would be their largest customers anyway) and if necessary pull any stock from big box and drug stores. Then have the experts issue a statement saying that we should be wearing masks but cloth masks will do so leave the hospital grade masks for our medical professionals, and had a video showing how to make one since cloth masks were few and far between on the shelves.

Of course to your point the experts don't set policies, so maybe they tried to do that and the Trump administration balked at it and we ended up with what we got.

IndyNorm 08-15-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 165796)
Partly the issue was that in the beginning they had no idea there was symptom-free transmission, meaning people could be positive with the virus, not experience symptoms, and still transmit this virus.
The advise originally was "if you are sick, quarantine yourself and wear a mask if you have to go out" which was before they discovered symptomless transmission.

Oh and you're wrong about the history of masks. Up until the early 1900s, doctors did not wear masks nor did they wash their hands, and were offended when it was suggested that they should do both.

The closest things to masks before then were those weird bird masks they wore during the plague, but that was just based on the "bad air" myth (the masks contained perfumes and incense thought to cleanse the air) and the plague was bloodborne anyway (fleas) so those didn't work at all.

Maniac beat me to it, but when the shut downs and social distancing measures were put in place we were told that ~80% of people who contract COVID would either be asymptomatic or have minor cold like symptoms. We were also told that people who were asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic were contagious which was a big reason as to why we had to social distance. But maybe you were referring to Jan-Feb timeframe.

Thanks for clarifying on the masks. Technically the technology was there, but sounds like it wasn't be utilized. At any rate masks still have been in use for over a century and were used during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Our medical experts had plenty of data on social distancing from 1918 that they used. You would think there would have been data on the effects of mask usage as well.

JAFF 08-15-2020 06:59 PM

Has anyone here ever had a surgical procedure? They wheel you in to surgery and EVERYBODY is wearing a mask, except you. Are they worried they will get something from you or is it that YOU could catch something from them because a hospital is a giant petri dish.

If everyone in this country would put on a mask for 90 days, we could bring covid under control

Brylok 08-16-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 165743)
100% there’s a season I’ll bet whatever you want since you work so much you should have some extra change to lose

Again with the douchebag, thick as a brick response. Yaknowwut...I'm done. Strike 300. Welcome to my ignore list: Population: 1 (you). Congratulations. I won't miss reading your nonsense.

apballin 09-11-2020 04:00 PM

Well we started the season and they showed a stat during the game they have administered 6000 tests and 6 players have tested positive doesn’t sound alarming to me. NBA, mlb, ihsaa football is all going along so I guess we’ll see......

Chromeburn 09-12-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 168097)
Well we started the season and they showed a stat during the game they have administered 6000 tests and 6 players have tested positive doesn’t sound alarming to me. NBA, mlb, ihsaa football is all going along so I guess we’ll see......

High school near me shut down bc of positive tests. The nba has the bubble and mlb had quite a few problems. We will see, a lot more players and personnel to account for with football unfortunately.

TheMugwump 09-12-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 168097)
Well we started the season and they showed a stat during the game they have administered 6000 tests and 6 players have tested positive doesn’t sound alarming to me. NBA, mlb, ihsaa football is all going along so I guess we’ll see......

Starting a season and having a season are not the same thing. I hope you're right. I doubt it, but I hope you are correct.

Now, on to Sunday.

apballin 09-13-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 168153)
Starting a season and having a season are not the same thing. I hope you're right. I doubt it, but I hope you are correct.

Now, on to Sunday.

As of kickoff Sunday zero players are out because of COVID

Colts And Orioles 09-29-2020 01:47 PM

o



In related news ......

8 people in the Titans organization (3 players and 5 team personnel members) received positive tests.



Titans Suspend Activities After Positive Covid-19 Tests

(By Ben Shpigel)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/s...ronavirus.html


o

njcoltfan 09-29-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 170281)
o



In related news ......

8 people in the Titans organization (3 players and 5 team personnel members) received positive tests.



Titans Suspend Activities After Positive Covid-19 Tests

(By Ben Shpigel)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/s...ronavirus.html


o

Hopefully this isn’t the start of something bigger.

Colts And Orioles 09-29-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 170281)
o



In related news ......

8 people in the Titans organization (3 players and 5 team personnel members) received positive tests.



Titans Suspend Activities After Positive Covid-19 Tests

(By Ben Shpigel)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/s...ronavirus.html


o



Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 170283)



Hopefully, this isn’t the start of something bigger.




o


Perhaps the best-case scenario would be if the upcoming game between the Titans and the Steelers is postponed, and made up in later in the season ...... but they have different Bye weeks, so it might be difficult to fit it in. Plus, the Vikings-Texans game also includes 2 teams which have different Bye weeks.


Unless those games are played this week, it may force the league to push the entire season back for one week for everybody ...... unlike baseball, basketball, and hockey, football cannot be played 3 or 4 times in the same week by a team, so the prospect of any team(s) "shutting down" for any period of time is more alarming/distressing.


o


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.