ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   quick thoughts on the fucking bullshit raiders game (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83731)

omahacolt 09-29-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 134612)
Al Woods is 32 years old and coming off a torn ACL. Resigning him wouldn’t have made much difference.

I don’t recall his torn acl

Maniac 09-29-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 134622)
I'm afraid what teams like the Chiefs or Patriots will do to this defense.

Oh it's going to be bad, and Ballard better see it and realize that he fucked up.

njcoltfan 09-29-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 134622)
What bothers me is that the Colts defense went backwards big time. Not only did Ballard fail to improve the defensive needs. He let guys go that were contributing to stopping the run. The Dline got very light and less depth. I'm afraid what teams like the Chiefs or Patriots will do to this defense.

We’ll find out next Sunday nite !!

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 09-29-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 134612)
Al Woods is 32 years old and coming off a torn ACL. Resigning him wouldn’t have made much difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 134623)
I don’t recall his torn acl


Al was IR'ed last season with a foot injury, not a torn ACL.

Here was an article from Seattle at the beginning of this year which discussed his recovery:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...eed-suspended/

Quote:

To anyone nervous about a 32-year old coming off a foot injury, though, Woods says don’t be. “The foot’s healed up and ready to go,’’ he said. “It’s feeling good, really good.’’

Pez 09-30-2019 08:55 AM

I for one did not realize how fragile our receiving corps was. Two people and were suddenly losing to the raiders, in a game that wasnt as close as the score would indicate.

Take away Hilton for injury, take away Ebron for having a bad game and you are down to:
Rookie Paris Campbell
Rookie* Deion Cain
3rd year guy Chester Rogers
2 year guy Zach Pascal
Ashton Dulin (activated 2 days ago)
Our options after that are Jack Doyle.

They know we are not going to threaten them with the pass so it's easy to stop the run, especially when the OL has an uninspired day.

This is only the first or second time I have seen Reich field a team that looked completely unprepared.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 09-30-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 134652)
I for one did not realize how fragile our receiving corps was. Two people and were suddenly losing to the raiders, in a game that wasnt as close as the score would indicate.

Take away Hilton for injury, take away Ebron for having a bad game and you are down to:
Rookie Paris Campbell
Rookie* Deion Cain
3rd year guy Chester Rogers
2 year guy Zach Pascal
Ashton Dulin (activated 2 days ago)


I think if you take away the WR1 and WR2 of most team's receiving corps, it would be a similar dropoff.

Ballard and Reich tried to thread the needle here - keeping guys that had upside as well as less talented guys that had some game experience.

When Inman left to sign elsewhere - no one cared because the Colts had Cain and Campbell. Sure Cain and Campbell have more upside vs Inman, but they are young and there are going to be growing pains. Cain is coming off a torn ACL - he obviously put in a lot of work to be back for this season, however, I doubt he will regain his full speed until next year - similar to Malik Hooker. Before Malik went down this year, he looked really good - that he had regained his "top gear." I expect Cain will be a step slow this year and may have trouble with separation all season.

VeveJones007 09-30-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 134601)
Some questions about Ballard's strategy of building through the draft:
  1. How many players are actually long term difference makers from each draft?
  2. How many areas of concern are there currently?
  3. How many areas of concern were there going into this past offseason?
  4. How many holes were created by letting players walk who weren't too bad, all things considered?

To me, the math doesn't add up to anything other than always being several players short of a well-stocked roster. It's a long-con to fall back on saying "be patient, we have a plan" since instead of dabbling in free agency a GM can buy an additional 2+ years because in order to evaluate his work, the youth has to properly grow into their envisioned roles on the team.

You have unrealistic expectations. Every good team has quality players who aren't difference makers. If you can get 2 difference makers from each draft, you're ahead of the curve. Hooker & Mack were two great picks in 2017, Nelson & Leonard in 2018, and four games is too soon to tell for 2019.

The real problem is that they're getting nothing from three 2nd round defensive linemen. It's still early in their careers, but they need to start showing some things by the end of this year.

HoosierinFL 09-30-2019 10:42 AM

I hope Pascal can get better with routes and getting open. He has good hands, he plays hard, he's physical and willing to block downfield, all good attributes, but he just doesn't get open much. The TD vs Atlanta got him open schematically with trickery, he didn't beat his guy. I rarely see him beat his guy, but I also don't watch the all-22.

I'm starting to worry that, as omaha said, Brissett has slow timing. He doesn't anticipate where the open guy will be, he waits to see the wide open guy and when that isn't there, he checks it down.

There's a lot of comments on not opening up the passing game and the coaches not trusting him. I think neither of those are true, I think they are calling plenty of deep passing plays, but JB seems unwilling to make the throw and takes the check down for 7 yards.

indycolts2 09-30-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 134552)
I didn't get to see a lot of the game today. What I did see:

D-Line, that is some garbage, period, no one at all holds the LOS- at all, just getting trucked like fuck.

That helps to expose Walker's completely out of his lane play---- ALL THE FUCKING TIME! Dude needs to be a backup. When DL gets back- DL, Speed, Okereke- period end of discussion.

CB's / Safeties- I have no idea what the Fuck this scheme is- none? Is the design- "let them catch the ball with plenty of space in between you and them, that way they can easily make you miss on the tackle" because that's what the fuck I see! I hate it, fucking hate it, hate fucking it!

Yeah Oline got rocked today. Looked like the Dline- constantly moving backward.

WR position- what seemed like a huge area of strength, looks like a mash unit and JB's throws across the middle are just setting these up for Safety smashing- that shit is gonna find us having to go searching for FA help at the position real soon!

Same shit we watched week in and week out under Pagano for years. Supposedly they were attempting to get cornerbacks who were more physical and could win off LOS in trying to disrupt timing/patterns. I don't have a very deep background in football other than being a lifelong fan but I do not understand the acceptance of a coaching staff to slowly bleed to death. It's death by a thousand cuts and it sucks. Doesn't make any difference the down/distance but when the first move of your CB is to backpedal regardless of whether they are 3 yards off or 7 yards off is maddening.

As for Quincy Wilson...holy shit dude, you have the receiver essentially penned in where there is no move he's going to put on you and you don't turn your head looking for the ball? What good is your size and athleticism if you're going to play blind out there?

Pez 09-30-2019 11:38 AM

The Quincy Wilson TD was just nuts. If you cant turn your head and play the ball, it would have been better if he just tackled him and drew the PI. They would still socre the TD as our DL was playing like sh**, but at least you dont get completely embarrassed by Derek Carr.

Parris Campbell and Dieon Cain are crap without TY Hilton drawing the opponent's best coverage. One is a true rookie and the other may as well be.

Zach Pascal is doing his job. He's theoretically out 3rd guy, and he was the best receiver on the field yesterday.

I thought Khari Willis played well. I think Geathers is going to be our 3rd string guy as soon as hooker gets back, that's good news all around.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.