ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If I’m Chris Ballard, I’ve got to decide if this year’s squad… (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211629)

Puck 05-08-2026 04:53 PM

On the outside. It certainly looks like the coaches have failed AR. But I don't believe that.

I was big on the AR pick and very happy we got him. Obviously I'm not a scout. I DO think it was forced by Jim.

I just think AR has arguably the best physical traits as a QB ever. (Lamar too)

But AR doesn't have QB smarts. I didn't think Lamar did either but he has proven me wrong. AR is still young. Maybe he can turn it around

AR may someday become a good QB. But how long should we wait?

1st test. Beat out Riley for #2. Then lets see where we are at.

Kray007 05-08-2026 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 347693)
On the outside. It certainly looks like the coaches have failed AR. But I don't believe that.

I was big on the AR pick and very happy we got him. Obviously I'm not a scout. I DO think it was forced by Jim.

I just think AR has arguably the best physical traits as a QB ever. (Lamar too)

But AR doesn't have QB smarts. I didn't think Lamar did either but he has proven me wrong. AR is still young. Maybe he can turn it around

AR may someday become a good QB. But how long should we wait?

1st test. Beat out Riley for #2. Then lets see where we are at.

I wonder how much of a factor all of the injuries have been? The rationale behind starting any QB you draft is the premise that the best way to learn the position is to play it.

His first season saw him throw 99 passes. In year two, it was 299. He might have picked up a couple of hundred more, might have had a chance to prove that he had licked the accuracy issues that plague him, if he hadn’t been injured when Jones went down.

I hope that he’s given a chance to truly compete against Leonard this offseason. He’s been working on accuracy, and it isn’t impossible for a Quarterback to overcome that. The between the ears issues might be the thing that holds him back, but we can only hope that, as he’s matured, he’s become more dedicated to that part of the game.

YDFL Commish 05-08-2026 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 347693)
On the outside. It certainly looks like the coaches have failed AR. But I don't believe that.

I was big on the AR pick and very happy we got him. Obviously I'm not a scout. I DO think it was forced by Jim.

I just think AR has arguably the best physical traits as a QB ever. (Lamar too)

But AR doesn't have QB smarts. I didn't think Lamar did either but he has proven me wrong. AR is still young. Maybe he can turn it around

AR may someday become a good QB. But how long should we wait?

1st test. Beat out Riley for #2. Then lets see where we are at.

I have no doubt in my mind that AR, was in essence an Irsay decision. Let's just say that Irsay used some very strong persuasion techniques to convince Ballard and Steichen that AR was the guy at #4.

Oldcolt 05-08-2026 06:59 PM

I am not trying to be difficult but I hear a ton of people on this board who are convinced that Ballard/Steichen were forced to take Richardson at 4 by Irsay. I have not heard anyone who is a covers the team say this. Nobody nationally. It confounds me because if there ever was a player that fits the incredible athlete profile that Ballard has used his entire time here as a GM it is AR but somehow everyone is sure it was forced on him. Look I know Jim was nuts about the guy but Jim was nuts about almost every Colt player. With AR such a huge failure, people getting fired for taking him supposedly (Morocco Brown) nobody leak anything to take responsibility off of them? Not really human nature or what others have done when they are blamed for something they didn't do.

IndyNorm 05-08-2026 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 347704)
I am not trying to be difficult but I hear a ton of people on this board who are convinced that Ballard/Steichen were forced to take Richardson at 4 by Irsay. I have not heard anyone who is a covers the team say this. Nobody nationally. It confounds me because if there ever was a player that fits the incredible athlete profile that Ballard has used his entire time here as a GM it is AR but somehow everyone is sure it was forced on him. Look I know Jim was nuts about the guy but Jim was nuts about almost every Colt player. With AR such a huge failure, people getting fired for taking him supposedly (Morocco Brown) nobody leak anything to take responsibility off of them? Not really human nature or what others have done when they are blamed for something they didn't do.

I agree. We've all seen the video where Ballard is literally jumping for joy when he finds out we'll be drafting AR at #4. I'm sorry, but that's just not a reaction someone makes when their boss is forcing them to make what they believe is a bad decision. Not saying that Irsay wasn't a big proponent of drafting AR, but it's pretty obvious Ballard was as well.

And the it's Morocco Brown's and not Ballard's fault statements are absolutely ridiculous. Unless Ballard doesn't have the balls to tell one of his top guys no, which I really doubt is the case.

ChoppedWood 05-08-2026 07:33 PM

Ballard made the pick, Ballard owns the results, just like every other fucking player he has inked over his 10 years of futility.

Puck 05-08-2026 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 347705)
I agree. We've all seen the video where Ballard is literally jumping for joy when he finds out we'll be drafting AR at #4. I'm sorry, but that's just not a reaction someone makes when their boss is forcing them to make what they believe is a bad decision. Not saying that Irsay wasn't a big proponent of drafting AR, but it's pretty obvious Ballard was as well.

And the it's Morocco Brown's and not Ballard's fault statements are absolutely ridiculous. Unless Ballard doesn't have the balls to tell one of his top guys no, which I really doubt is the case.

Maybe. I'm not saying. Jim forced him. But Jim did have a lot of input IMO. Ballards reaction was probably happy that he got the guy they were after. And he was able to please the boss as well.

Look at this past season. Ballards approach to me seemed different. Even to the point of trading for Sauce.

No facts just my guy feeling

Puck 05-08-2026 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 347706)
Ballard made the pick, Ballard owns the results, just like every other fucking player he has inked over his 10 years of futility.


Yep Ballard is the final say.

Kray007 05-08-2026 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 347706)
Ballard made the pick, Ballard owns the results, just like every other fucking player he has inked over his 10 years of futility.

Has he ever suggested anything else?

ChoppedWood 05-08-2026 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kray007 (Post 347715)
Has he ever suggested anything else?

Did I say he had / has? My response is more around the innuendo that Ballard doesn't fully hold the cards for the AR debacle because he was highly influenced by Jim to select him. I could care less if Jim literally held a gun to his head and forced him to select him, he is ultimately the GM of the team and as such responsible for the performance of the players he drafts. Nothing more, nothing less.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.