ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rivers! (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109581)

Spike 10-13-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 171984)
I thought you weren’t going to watch football because black people

Really, black people? I never said that.

Brylok 10-13-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 172005)
Hopefully there's another Russell Wilson out there..

Russell Wilson is so good. MVP right now for me anyway. He would have been destroyed behind that o-line back then, but if it had been fixed, yeah I'd much rather have had him than Luck. So would everyone else probably though in hindsight. I'm just dreading the QB abyss. Depressing. Rage-inducing whenever I think back to August 2019.

Chromeburn 10-13-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 172051)
Russell Wilson is so good. MVP right now for me anyway. He would have been destroyed behind that o-line back then, but if it had been fixed, yeah I'd much rather have had him than Luck. So would everyone else probably though in hindsight. I'm just dreading the QB abyss. Depressing. Rage-inducing whenever I think back to August 2019.

In hindsight of course. But if Luck was healthy and still playing he was on a historic pace himself and I think he would be considered just as good.

Dam8610 10-13-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 172042)
The money? I'm thinking you should get what you paid for. Rivers is getting top 5 QB money, and the only thing he's in the top 5 for QBs is INTs. I didn't expect that he was going to lead us to the Super Bowl, but in that last game, he looked done. Another performance like that and it becomes the norm and not just a bad game.

$25 million per year is not Top 5 QB money in today's NFL. Mahomes just signed a half a billion dollar contract that comes in at slightly more than $40 million AAV and Watson just signed a 4 year deal at $40 million AAV. To me, that puts the floor of Top 5 at $35 million AAV, so 1 year at $25 million should buy something like Rivers, a guy on the downswing of his career that could provide a top 10 QB season or could flame out badly.

Dam8610 10-13-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 172051)
Russell Wilson is so good. MVP right now for me anyway. He would have been destroyed behind that o-line back then, but if it had been fixed, yeah I'd much rather have had him than Luck. So would everyone else probably though in hindsight. I'm just dreading the QB abyss. Depressing. Rage-inducing whenever I think back to August 2019.

With the benefit of hindsight, it's a very easy call to make. It's probably better in the end that the Colts didn't get all that draft capital from trading the #1 pick, Grigson likely would've squandered it.

albany ed 10-13-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 172057)
$25 million per year is not Top 5 QB money in today's NFL. Mahomes just signed a half a billion dollar contract that comes in at slightly more than $40 million AAV and Watson just signed a 4 year deal at $40 million AAV. To me, that puts the floor of Top 5 at $35 million AAV, so 1 year at $25 million should buy something like Rivers, a guy on the downswing of his career that could provide a top 10 QB season or could flame out badly.

I'm going strictly by salary in the current year and not by what a contract breaks down to if divided by the number of years in it. Those contracts get back loaded. Here's a quick break down of salaries only for the 2020 season.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

I realize that some contracts got signed after this was originally posted, but Rivers is certainly not worth 25 million dollars.

rcubed 10-13-2020 04:23 PM

Rivers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 172063)
I'm going strictly by salary in the current year and not by what a contract breaks down to if divided by the number of years in it. Those contracts get back loaded. Here's a quick break down of salaries only for the 2020 season.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

I realize that some contracts got signed after this was originally posted, but Rivers is certainly not worth 25 million dollars.


Top 5 QBs have big bonuses and long term contracts. Rivers has a 1 year deal to stop gap us, not a fair comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kray007 10-13-2020 05:21 PM

When he signed up, I think that the assumption was that you were handing Rivers a great OL, a top 5 running attack, one elite WR and two others with high upside.

On Sunday, he didn't have any of those things. On Sunday, he had Leraven Clark, who was doing his best imitation of a turnstile; a RB who's having a hard time exploiting holes; a TY Hilton who's a shadow of his old self; and a WR corps behind him made up of, mostly, scrubs.

In addition, Jack Doyle, somehow seems to have aged badly.

That doesn't excuse the interceptions or the safety. But, going into 2020, any reasonable fan had to know that you weren't getting Rivers at his 25 year old best. You were getting a game manager who wasn't afraid to take chances.

That having been said, you can't really be surprised by what happened against the Browns.

albany ed 10-13-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 172066)
Top 5 QBs have big bonuses and long term contracts. Rivers has a 1 year deal to stop gap us, not a fair comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, how about this. The Colts could have signed Bridgewater, Dalton AND Cam Newton and still had 7 million to sign some OL depth.

I really have no problem with paying good money for a quality player, but before I lay down money on a car with a solid history, but I'd still want to test drive it and be sure it still was a great car. Otherwise, I think I make a much lower counter offer. When Rivers signed for 25 million, I was convinced that the buyers were sure of him. I'm not convinced of that any longer, are you?

YDFL Commish 10-13-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 172042)
The money? I'm thinking you should get what you paid for. Rivers is getting top 5 QB money, and the only thing he's in the top 5 for QBs is INTs. I didn't expect that he was going to lead us to the Super Bowl, but in that last game, he looked done. Another performance like that and it becomes the norm and not just a bad game.

River's is not getting top 5 QB money. In average salary per season, his $25 million ranks 17th.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.