ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   With the third pick.... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31652)

Racehorse 01-05-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50214)
Elway may be looking for a short term fix in Denver, as the window is closing on that roster to compete for another championship.

Yes, that is for sure.

VeveJones007 01-05-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50214)
Elway may be looking for a short term fix in Denver, as the window is closing on that roster to compete for another championship.

They’ve been scouting Josh Allen a lot.

GoBigBlue88 01-05-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50264)
They’ve been scouting Josh Allen a lot.

And I don't follow CFB closely, but I do know some NFL scouts are super high on Josh Allen despite CFB fans not understanding the hype about him. Like, top 3 pick high on him.

Hey, it only takes one team... Let's hope it's the Broncos. If QBs go first three picks and CLE is up next, I doubt CLE needs another EDGE, so they probably go Barkley. Which means Colts could grab Chubb at 5 in the trade down AND still be able to add starting caliber OL/RB/ILB/whatever with two high picks in the second. (Not to mention future picks acquired.)

Coltsalr 01-05-2018 03:18 PM

I wonder if Denver would be willing to toss in one of their defenders along with their 1st round pick to get their coveted QB.

If they'd start out with offering us the #5 overall pick and Shaq Barrett, I'm sure we could work something out.

VeveJones007 01-05-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 50272)
And I don't follow CFB closely, but I do know some NFL scouts are super high on Josh Allen despite CFB fans not understanding the hype about him. Like, top 3 pick high on him.

Hey, it only takes one team... Let's hope it's the Broncos. If QBs go first three picks and CLE is up next, I doubt CLE needs another EDGE, so they probably go Barkley. Which means Colts could grab Chubb at 5 in the trade down AND still be able to add starting caliber OL/RB/ILB/whatever with two high picks in the second. (Not to mention future picks acquired.)

Yep, 5 or 6 are good spots to target in a trade down. You get more picks and still get a premium talent. We just have to hope someone falls in love with one of the QBs at 3.

Oldcolt 01-05-2018 05:58 PM

What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

Coltsalr 01-05-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 50301)
What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

I'd love it, so long as it's not reckless (Luck has an indisputably clean bill of health).

It'd be even better if we could package Brissett with our #3 overall pick. Like, if Denver (again), believes they can win with Brissett and then drafting Saquon Barkley (which, hell, they might be able to) and will trade us a king's ransom for both, then yes, rape Elway right then and there.

Dam8610 01-05-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50273)
I wonder if Denver would be willing to toss in one of their defenders along with their 1st round pick to get their coveted QB.

If they'd start out with offering us the #5 overall pick and Shaq Barrett, I'm sure we could work something out.

I'd want Ray and their 2018 1.

rcubed 01-05-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 50301)
What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

Trade if we can get something decent for him or include him in some trade containing our pics.

omahacolt 01-05-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 50301)
What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

haha

nobody is trading a 2nd for fucking brissett

Coltsalr 01-05-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50304)
I'd want Ray and their 2018 1.

He had a pretty underwhelming 2017.

VeveJones007 01-05-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50343)
He had a pretty underwhelming 2017.

Well he did spend half the year on IR.

FatDT 01-06-2018 12:19 AM

Brisset will not command much in a trade right now. 5th at best. I'd rather keep him.

DrSpaceman 01-06-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 50335)
haha

nobody is trading a 2nd for fucking brissett

Yes that is wishful thinking

ANd I would keep him because he is a solid back up, though not a great option as a long term starter.

You are not going to get back in value in a trade what he is worth to the team. I still think Luck will be back and will be OK next year, but he has been injury prone and you never know with the bad OL if he will survive the season

YDFL Commish 01-06-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50363)
Brisset will not command much in a trade right now. 5th at best. I'd rather keep him.

I disagree. He was a late 3rd rd pick. Isn't his value higher now, than when he was drafted?

So I can easily see him being worth an early 3rd rd. pick.

GoBigBlue88 01-06-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 50364)
Yes that is wishful thinking

ANd I would keep him because he is a solid back up, though not a great option as a long term starter.

You are not going to get back in value in a trade what he is worth to the team. I still think Luck will be back and will be OK next year, but he has been injury prone and you never know with the bad OL if he will survive the season

Amen. Just wanted to add some redundancy here given my criticism of Brissett over the season to get on record that, while I don't think Brissett is a QB1, I think with an offseason of actual coaching in an actual system, he's about as good as it gets if Luck has to miss 2-3 weeks at any point or isn't ready to go at the start of the season.

indycolts2 01-06-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50385)
I disagree. He was a late 3rd rd pick. Isn't his value higher now, than when he was drafted?

So I can easily see him being worth an early 3rd rd. pick.

Yeah I don't understand the thinking that Brissett isn't worth much more than a late round pick. Rushed into a new system, learning on the fly with an admittedly weak o-line and some skill position players without much skill or desire I think he did pretty well all things considered.

VeveJones007 01-06-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 50394)
Amen. Just wanted to add some redundancy here given my criticism of Brissett over the season to get on record that, while I don't think Brissett is a QB1, I think with an offseason of actual coaching in an actual system, he's about as good as it gets if Luck has to miss 2-3 weeks at any point or isn't ready to go at the start of the season.

Agreed. He has a lot of tools. He just made so many misreads that a better coach might be able to correct them or simplify the scheme (or both).

FatDT 01-06-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indycolts2 (Post 50395)
Yeah I don't understand the thinking that Brissett isn't worth much more than a late round pick. Rushed into a new system, learning on the fly with an admittedly weak o-line and some skill position players without much skill or desire I think he did pretty well all things considered.

I don't think he sucks. I like Brisset. I just don't think he has much trade value.

Maniac 01-07-2018 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indycolts2 (Post 50395)
Yeah I don't understand the thinking that Brissett isn't worth much more than a late round pick. Rushed into a new system, learning on the fly with an admittedly weak o-line and some skill position players without much skill or desire I think he did pretty well all things considered.

It's pretty simple. From what he showed so far, he looks to be a backup qb. Didn't see open guys, held onto the ball too long, etc. Can he correct those things? Possibly, but at this point, I don't see a team being willing to give up a decent draft pick to acquire him.

DrSpaceman 01-07-2018 05:52 PM

Brissett has a strong arm and can make all the needed throws in this league.

When his first read was not open though and he had to read the field, decide what to do, he struggled mightily.

now yes, granted, the coaching did him no favors. And he was basically a rookie. But still, he has not yet shown he can be a starter on a consistent basis and win. Maybe he will develop into that, but no team would count on that based on what was seen so far

Maniac 01-09-2018 09:44 AM

I hadn't seen Georgia play before, but after watching last night, it would be awesome if the Colts could trade back some and get Roquan Smith.

YDFL Commish 01-09-2018 10:01 AM

I was thinking the same thing. That guy has some serious game speed.

FatDT 01-09-2018 10:23 AM

Isn't he tiny though? Like 5'11 and 215?

Maniac 01-09-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50871)
Isn't he tiny though? Like 5'11 and 215?

wikipedia has him at 6'1", 225 lbs

FatDT 01-09-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50873)
wikipedia has him at 6'1", 225 lbs

I may be misinformed then. I'm still wary of spending a high pick on a LB like him unless he's on a level with Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50867)
I hadn't seen Georgia play before, but after watching last night, it would be awesome if the Colts could trade back some and get Roquan Smith.

He's currently ranked higher than Chubb on Matt Miller's big board (#5 overall), so you wouldn't be able to trade back very far. Miller also sees him as more of a WLB in a 4-3 due to his size.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50874)
I may be misinformed then. I'm still wary of spending a high pick on a LB like him unless he's on a level with Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley.

Regardless of where they draft a player like him, that sideline to sideline playmaking ability is something they desperately need at LB.

Maniac 01-09-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50900)
He's currently ranked higher than Chubb on Matt Miller's big board (#5 overall), so you wouldn't be able to trade back very far. Miller also sees him as more of a WLB in a 4-3 due to his size.

I believe it. He looks like a better playmaker than Chubb does.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50908)
I believe it. He looks like a better playmaker than Chubb does.

But he doesn't rush the passer or set the edge like Chubb, either.

It looks like Allen and Mayfield are starting to creep up some draft boards. If we could get the Broncos or Jets to move up to #3, that would be pretty ideal. Get something like #6, #38, a 4th, and still get a very good player like Chubb, Smith, OL. That would give you multiple early 2nds to augment the defense or OL.

Dam8610 01-09-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50910)
But he doesn't rush the passer or set the edge like Chubb, either.

It looks like Allen and Mayfield are starting to creep up some draft boards. If we could get the Broncos or Jets to move up to #3, that would be pretty ideal. Get something like #6, #38, a 4th, and still get a very good player like Chubb, Smith, OL. That would give you multiple early 2nds to augment the defense or OL.

The ideal scenario is that the Broncos get so enamored with Allen or Mayfield that they send the #5 pick, the #38 pick, and their 2019 1 for the #3 pick. Browns will likely take Barkley, Williams, or Fitzpatrick at 4 (who cares) which means the Colts could stay put and grab Chubb at 5 if they believe in him, or potentially find another trade in the top 10 and pick up another 2019 1 and STILL grab a playmaker like Smith. I'd be thrilled if the latter happened.

YDFL Commish 01-09-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50900)
He's currently ranked higher than Chubb on Matt Miller's big board (#5 overall), so you wouldn't be able to trade back very far. Miller also sees him as more of a WLB in a 4-3 due to his size.

He's the same height and approximately 10 lbs. lighter than Timmons and Shazier. Didn't they both play ILB for the Stillers?

He'll put on 10 lbs. easily as pro. Besides, as has been mentioned previously, we desperately need to improve the defensive team speed.

Dam8610 01-09-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50913)
He's the same height and approximately 10 lbs. lighter than Timmons and Shazier. Didn't they both play ILB for the Stillers?

He'll put on 10 lbs. easily as pro. Besides, as has been mentioned previously, we desperately need to improve the defensive team speed.

I'd be shocked if he isn't listed at something around 6'1" 240 on whatever roster he's on on opening day next year.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50913)
He's the same height and approximately 10 lbs. lighter than Timmons and Shazier. Didn't they both play ILB for the Stillers?

He'll put on 10 lbs. easily as pro. Besides, as has been mentioned previously, we desperately need to improve the defensive team speed.

Too early to say until he weighs in at the combine (or pro day). I don't trust listed height and weight provided by the colleges.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50912)
The ideal scenario is that the Broncos get so enamored with Allen or Mayfield that they send the #5 pick, the #38 pick, and their 2019 1 for the #3 pick. Browns will likely take Barkley, Williams, or Fitzpatrick at 4 (who cares) which means the Colts could stay put and grab Chubb at 5 if they believe in him, or potentially find another trade in the top 10 and pick up another 2019 1 and STILL grab a playmaker like Smith. I'd be thrilled if the latter happened.

FWIW, the draft value chart shows roughly equal value for #3 and #5 + #37. You'd need to move down closer to #10 to warrant a 2019 1st according to the chart.

Realistically, the only way to drive up the value of #3 for the Broncos is to get multiple teams bidding. If the Browns go QB, then the Broncos don't have to worry about QBs being taken at 3 or 4 unless there's the possibility of a trade with another team.

Dam8610 01-09-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50916)
FWIW, the draft value chart shows roughly equal value for #3 and #5 + #37. You'd need to move down closer to #10 to warrant a 2019 1st according to the chart.

Realistically, the only way to drive up the value of #3 for the Broncos is to get multiple teams bidding. If the Browns go QB, then the Broncos don't have to worry about QBs being taken at 3 or 4 unless there's the possibility of a trade with another team.

Draft value charts aren't gospel. By the draft value chart, the Redskins NEVER should've given up what they did for RGIII, but they thought he was a franchise QB, so they pulled the trigger. Like I said, it would require Elway becoming heavily enamored with Allen or Mayfield, or one of Rosen or Darnold falling out of the Top 2, but if he wanted an available QB enough, he'd pull the trigger.

YDFL Commish 01-10-2018 12:54 AM

I've already stated my preference to just take Barkely at #3. But, after watching Sony Michel for 2 games, I wouldn't mind him at RB, in whatever round he's graded at ( probably 2nd or 3rd).

I actually like him better than Chubb.

FatDT 01-10-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 51021)
I've already stated my preference to just take Barkely at #3. But, after watching Sony Michel for 2 games, I wouldn't mind him at RB, in whatever round he's graded at ( probably 2nd or 3rd).

I actually like him better than Chubb.

I do too. I think there might be some others in this class that would be worth taking somewhere in the first three rounds.

sherck 01-10-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 51028)
I do too. I think there might be some others in this class that would be worth taking somewhere in the first three rounds.

Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Fix the O-Line FIRST before getting a high-pick RB.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 01-10-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 51033)
Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Fix the O-Line FIRST before getting a high-pick RB.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

Getting a RB in the 3rd round is a great idea. No reason they can’t sign two quality OL and draft two more to go with that RB.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.