ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Daniel Jones has signed 2 yr 88m contract (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209770)

Colts And Orioles 10-05-2026 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 355966)



We wouldn't if Jones had led us to 3 Super Bowl wins. Even one buys a truckload of grace.




o


First of all, Jones has not even been with the Colts for one full season yet ...... and before that, he was surrounded by awful Giants team on both sides of the ball before being traded to the Colts.

Secondly and more significantly, it's all the more surprising that Mahomes, who has 5 Super Bowl appearances and 9 full years of NFL experience while playing with great teams on both sides of the ball would make such a brainless mistake with the game on the line that one wouldn't expect a junior college quarterback to make.


You said that you were bewildered at the vitriol that Anthony Richardson receives here on ColtFreaks ....... somebody in the game thread actually was calling to bench Jones in the second quarter and to bring Richardson in when Jones had an awful 1 and-a-half quarters, which would have been a bad, panicky decision to make at that point.

You have the inclination to defend Anthony Richardson, whose passing accuracy was very bad when he played for the Colts ...... Jones has played better for the Colts when healthy than Richardson did for the Colts when Richardson was healthy.

o

Hoopsdoc 10-05-2026 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 355921)
It's obvious that Jones cannot handle pressure, but it's also obvious that Steichen has not designed plays to help him. Since halfway through last season, teams have pressed him on the majority of plays. Steichen needs to design plays that can succeed against that kind of defense. Plays that can give Jones confidence and get him in a rhythm. He's going to see this press defense almost exclusively until he proves he can deal with it. Quick crossing routes, draw plays,, etc. Steichen should be capable of coming up with ways to defeat this pressure. If you're short on WRs, use multiple TEs.

A lot of it is on Jones though. That first fumble was inexcusable, the type of mistake a high school quarterback shouldn’t make.

albany ed 10-05-2026 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 355975)
A lot of it is on Jones though. That first fumble was inexcusable, the type of mistake a high school quarterback shouldn’t make.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of Jones, but he is our QB so the team needs to make the best of it. The biggest problem I see is that teams feel him unable to handle a pressure defense. That's not going to change until the Colts AS A TEAM, can overcome it. Use multiple TEs, develop fast opening pass routes for at least one or two WRs, and there must be many other ways to defeat the pressure defense. I'm no genius of football, so I'm just adding my two cents here. It's a fact that DJ is our QB so our coaches need to work with what they have. It does no good to develop brilliant pass routes if they take longer to develop than the pressure gets to DJ. You need to make the defense pay for rushing more players than your OL can handle.

Bottom line, you can shake your head and watch your QB come apart as the pressure gets to him, or help him overcome it by developing and giving him the tools he can use. I remember reading about Belichick saying you get players to play to their strengths and help them avoid their weaknesses. DJs weaknesses are well known, by the coaches, the fans and the defenses of all of our opponents. Winning coaches work with what they have, losing coaches try to fit square pegs in their round holes.

Colts And Orioles 10-05-2026 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 355978)



Winning coaches work with what they have, losing coaches try to fit square pegs in their round holes.




o


As much as I agree with everything that you said, one of Daniel Jones' biggest weakness is doing this to himself (trying to fit square pegs in their round holes) ...... his inclination to not accept a sack or an incomplete pass on 3rd down and force the situation by throwing the ball to a well-covered receiver has resulted in INT's on multiple occasions in his tenure with the Colts over the last 2 seasons.

So yes, the Colts need to work with and around Daniel Jones and his weaknesses ...... but Daniel Jones himself also needs to minimize one of his own major weaknesses by either taking a sack or throwing an incomplete pass to live to fight another day when he is under pressure and/or his receivers are well-covered.

o

Hoopsdoc 10-05-2026 09:12 AM

Teams have figured out what Jones does well in Steichens offense and they’ve taken those things away. The league figured him out in Indy just like they did in New York. He is who he is.

I agree the coaches could do a better job of setting him up for success but that only goes so far. At a certain point, he just is who he is. Except for brief stretches, he’s been a bad quarterback his entire career.

Dam8610 10-05-2026 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 355983)
Teams have figured out what Jones does well in Steichens offense and they’ve taken those things away. The league figured him out in Indy just like they did in New York. He is who he is.

I agree the coaches could do a better job of setting him up for success but that only goes so far. At a certain point, he just is who he is. Except for brief stretches, he’s been a bad quarterback his entire career.

I don't think it's this simple. Pierce is out and Keenan Allen missed the last game. I think with those two playing, Jones does better, especially since their replacements were Laquon Treadwell and Ashton Dulin. There's a lot of season ahead, and I think this offense can perform better than it has to this point.

Oldcolt 10-05-2026 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 355970)
o


First of all, Jones has not even been with the Colts for one full season yet ...... and before that, he was surrounded by awful Giants team on both sides of the ball before being traded to the Colts.

Secondly and more significantly, it's all the more surprising that Mahomes, who has 5 Super Bowl appearances and 9 full years of NFL experience while playing with great teams on both sides of the ball would make such a brainless mistake with the game on the line that one wouldn't expect a junior college quarterback to make.


You said that you were bewildered at the vitriol that Anthony Richardson receives here on ColtFreaks ....... somebody in the game thread actually was calling to bench Jones in the second quarter and to bring Richardson in when Jones had an awful 1 and-a-half quarters, which would have been a bad, panicky decision to make at that point.

You have the inclination to defend Anthony Richardson, whose passing accuracy was very bad when he played for the Colts ...... Jones has played better for the Colts when healthy than Richardson did for the Colts when Richardson was healthy.

o


What the fuck are you blabbing about? All i was saying is they give players a break who have already done great things for your team. That was it. Period. You made up some stupid ass story about this being about AR and my hate for DJ when all i was saying was why Jones doesn't get the slack Mahomes gets and it isn't because KC has such wonderful fans and the Colts don't as you insinuated

Oldcolt 10-05-2026 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 355984)
I don't think it's this simple. Pierce is out and Keenan Allen missed the last game. I think with those two playing, Jones does better, especially since their replacements were Laquon Treadwell and Ashton Dulin. There's a lot of season ahead, and I think this offense can perform better than it has to this point.

Both can be true. Defenses were bound to figure us out (no team was going to stay that hot offensively) and it certainly hurts to lose your top two receivers and only legitimate deep threat.

Hoopsdoc 10-05-2026 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 355984)
I don't think it's this simple. Pierce is out and Keenan Allen missed the last game. I think with those two playing, Jones does better, especially since their replacements were Laquon Treadwell and Ashton Dulin. There's a lot of season ahead, and I think this offense can perform better than it has to this point.

I would be more inclined to believe this had we not had both Pierce and Allen against the Ravens and Jones was just as bad.

He’s been bad all year regardless of who he’s playing with.

CletusPyle 10-05-2026 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 355986)
Both can be true. Defenses were bound to figure us out (no team was going to stay that hot offensively) and it certainly hurts to lose your top two receivers and only legitimate deep threat.

Why do we only have one deep threat? You cannot tell me that there were not players available (maybe there still are) that could be a deep threat for the Colts. Other teams seem to always find players we can't or won't.

albany ed 10-05-2026 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CletusPyle (Post 355988)
Why do we only have one deep threat? You cannot tell me that there were not players available (maybe there still are) that could be a deep threat for the Colts. Other teams seem to always find players we can't or won't.


Anthony Gould runs a 4.39 40. Seems like he could go deep.

apballin 10-05-2026 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 355992)
Anthony Gould runs a 4.39 40. Seems like he could go deep.

We drafted a guy that runs a 4.3 flat

Colts And Orioles 10-05-2026 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 355985)



I was saying was why Jones doesn't get the slack Mahomes gets and it isn't because KC has such wonderful fans and the Colts don't as you insinuated.




o

I was not saying or insinuating anything about Chiefs fans. I said that Colts fans would lose their minds if Daniel Jones did the same thing that one of the greatest quarterback ever did in a very basic situation in the closing moments of a game.

I apologize if I inappropriately extrapolated regarding your feelings about Richardson and Jones.

o

Oldcolt 10-05-2026 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 355998)
o

I was not saying or insinuating anything about Chiefs fans. I said that Colts fans would lose their minds if Daniel Jones did the same thing that one of the greatest quarterback ever did in a very basic situation in the closing moments of a game.

I apologize if I inappropriately extrapolated regarding your feelings about Richardson and Jones.

o

Its having conversations when we are not face to face. Makes anything suble impossible. Both things are true. I would prefer AR over DJ but that is only because right now i would have faith in neither but feel AR still has possibilities and DJ is who DJ is. Not great, not bad just an average NFL QB. I also think once you have success with a team it buys greater forgiveness of mistakes. Every QB does stupid shit occasionally and fans react differently to the exact same mistakes. Human nature and in that you are correct. I'm happy that you interact with me and occasionally give me shit. All my friends do.

apballin 10-05-2026 03:50 PM

If Jones isn’t being clean and consistent with the offense I’d rather see AR in there, he may turn it over but he scares the defense and any play can be a TD


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.