ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Free Agents Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597)

ukcolt 03-17-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 7177)
Isn't Aiken a KR guy, too? Maybe Quan Bray isn't long for the team.

Looking at his stats he has never returned a punt or kickoff in the NFL, so i would say no he isn't going to be challenging Bray for this gig. Going to be competition for Rogers and maybe Dorsett. I would actually like to see us let Dorsett lose as a returner and see what he can do.

omahacolt 03-17-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 7188)
His game speed is much slower than his 40. Doesn't create enough separation. Doesn't run crisp enough routes. Doesn't always catch cleanly. Doesn't attack the ball aggressively.

If there was anything special there, we would have seen it by now. I don't care what routes he's been running.

I generally give wr's 3 years. I agree that I would have hoped to see more by now but I am still willing to give home this year.

smitty46953 03-17-2017 01:37 PM

Chicago Bears‏Verified account
@ChicagoBears

We have signed DL John Jenkins to a one-year contract.

Welcome to Chicago, @jenkinsjohn6!

:cool:

smitty46953 03-17-2017 01:39 PM

Reggie Wayne‏Verified account @ReggieWayne_17 · 1h1 hour ago

Reggie Wayne Retweeted Indianapolis Colts

Congrats @DariusJButler! That's a good move @Colts. Always made me work @ practice. Arguably best athlete/hands on the team. Now anyways ������

:cool:

Brylok 03-17-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 7194)
Chicago Bears‏Verified account
@ChicagoBears

We have signed DL John Jenkins to a one-year contract.

Welcome to Chicago, @jenkinsjohn6!

:cool:

That is a very large man.

smitty46953 03-17-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 7199)
That is a very large man.

Yes he is ... :cool:

sherck 03-17-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 7194)
Chicago Bears‏Verified account
@ChicagoBears

We have signed DL John Jenkins to a one-year contract.

Welcome to Chicago, @jenkinsjohn6!

:cool:

Darn, he never got out of Chicago.

Of course, I never get out of Chicago.......O'Hare airport. I hate that place.

Cheers,

Wyatt 03-17-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7193)
I generally give wr's 3 years. I agree that I would have hoped to see more by now but I am still willing to give home this year.

except for Griff Whalen

ukcolt 03-17-2017 01:54 PM

Do we know what our current cap situation is now?
We have signed:-

C Brian Schwenke
DE Margus Hunt
DT Al Woods
OLB Jabaal Sheard
OLB John Simon
OLB Barkevious Mingo
and P Jeff Locke

A total of 7 guys so far, which makes it highly unlikely that we will get any sort of draft compensation come next year, as only 4 of our own free agents have currently signed with other teams, although obviously there is still time for some of the guys released to offset what we sign. We may not have finished with free agency ourselves so could end up adding another 1 or 2 names to the list.

omahacolt 03-17-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 7202)
except for Griff Whalen

Never heard of her

sherck 03-17-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 7203)
Do we know what our current cap situation is now?
We have signed:-

C Brian Schwenke
DE Margus Hunt
DT Al Woods
OLB Jabaal Sheard
OLB John Simon
OLB Barkevious Mingo
and P Jeff Locke

I did an update this morning in the "cap update" thread.

Roughly, we have $19m to spend on free agents left.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

njcoltfan 03-17-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 7187)
Oh heck yes!

Sherman is a man-to-man stud who is not afraid to line up across from anyone and stay with them until the play is done.

Played in every game over his entire 6 season career and has started all of them since game 7 of his rookie year.

97 Passes Defended in 6 years. Average of 5 INTs per year and a really good run support tackler.

He is Vontae Davis....only 1 year younger. Would it not be great to have two of them?

A really nice page isolating him on some of his better plays from 2013 (located here).

Another one from 2014 that is more fact and data driven (located here).

Now, contracts.

Vontae is only signed through 2017 and is a free agent at the end of the season. He is our CB1 and would probably expect a top dollar offer from Ballard to remain here.

Sherman would cost the Colts $11.431m of cap space in 2017 and $11.000m in 2018. He would be great insurance against "needing" to overpay Vontae to stay. Those cap hits are not terrible when compared to what other top CBs are getting.

The rub comes down to what the Seahawks would want in return. I would pay a 3rd round pick in a heartbeat for him. I would think hard about paying our 2nd round pick since there was a solid chance we were going to use one of our 1st or 2nd round picks on CB anyway.

I would not trade our 1st round pick for him nor would I send multiple picks unless it was our 3rd round and one of our bottom 4th round picks.

Sherman would make our entire defense better. Add a OLB[RUSH] and ILB in the top rounds of the draft and our defensive makeover would be well underway.

Cheers,

I don't understand why you are willing to pay 11M for a 28 yr old corner, but not 10M for a 24yr old NT that would instantly make the front 7 a team strength.

sherck 03-17-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 7212)
I don't understand why you are willing to pay 11M for a 28 yr old corner, but not 10M for a 24yr old NT that would instantly make the front 7 a team strength.

Because I am not as convinced as everyone else that Poe is still the difference maker he was 3 years ago.

I am convinced that Sherman is as good now as he has ever been.

You pay for uptrending or level excellence and not for declining performance.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

njcoltfan 03-17-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 7213)
Because I am not as convinced as everyone else that Poe is still the difference maker he was 3 years ago.

I am convinced that Sherman is as good now as he has ever been.

You pay for uptrending or level excellence and not for declining performance.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wasn't talking about Poe he's signed, I was talking about Hankins. I would never sign Sherman, to me he's all about Richard Sherman, and not the team, and I absolutely would not give up any draft picks to acquire him, never.

Coltsalr 03-17-2017 04:15 PM

I would be beyond thrilled if we signed both Hankins and Zach Brown.

sherck 03-17-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 7219)
I wasn't talking about Poe he's signed, I was talking about Hankins. I would never sign Sherman, to me he's all about Richard Sherman, and not the team, and I absolutely would not give up any draft picks to acquire him, never.

Hankins might be worth a ton as a pass rushing 4-3 NT.

I am not positive why folks want to pay him a ton as a 3-4 NT. He is not that.

He might grow into the role, but paying $8m + a year to find out would be foolish.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

njcoltfan 03-17-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 7222)
Hankins might be worth a ton as a pass rushing 4-3 NT.

I am not positive why folks want to pay him a ton as a 3-4 NT. He is not that.

He might grow into the role, but paying $8m + a year to find out would be foolish.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok, I can respect that point of view, but I still wouldn't give Sherman over 11m, and give up a high draft pick to get him, especially since the Colts can't pressure the QB.

YDFL Commish 03-17-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 7222)
Hankins might be worth a ton as a pass rushing 4-3 NT.

I am not positive why folks want to pay him a ton as a 3-4 NT. He is not that.

He might grow into the role, but paying $8m + a year to find out would be foolish.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's too much for Hankins.

natagu23 03-18-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 7234)
Yeah, that's too much for Hankins.

Not really but what do i know.

Dam8610 03-18-2017 12:12 PM

Any news on Zach Brown? A bunch of articles from March 15 said the Colts were in contact with him, and that he left Oakland without signing, but not much beyond that. Hopefully the Colts are pursuing. Speed at the ILB position would be such a refreshing change.

omahacolt 03-18-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 7269)
Any news on Zach Brown? A bunch of articles from March 15 said the Colts were in contact with him, and that he left Oakland without signing, but not much beyond that. Hopefully the Colts are pursuing. Speed at the ILB position would be such a refreshing change.

what did you think of e jackson

Dam8610 03-18-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7271)
what did you think of e jackson

Capable backup forced into a starter role. Could do well as a rotational player.

indycolts2 03-18-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7271)
what did you think of e jackson

Besides playing out of control at times I love the energy he is bringing to the field. Lot of fun to watch and has good speed IMO, there are tools to work with regarding E Jackson.

Spike 03-18-2017 07:02 PM

Minter is gone, signed with the Bungles.

YDFL Commish 03-18-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indycolts2 (Post 7282)
Besides playing out of control at times I love the energy he is bringing to the field. Lot of fun to watch and has good speed IMO, there are tools to work with regarding E Jackson.

I agree. He certainly outplayed Morrison. But he is undersized for the position, so unless he earns it by beating out whoever Ballard drafts at ILB, then he's best a reserve.

smitty46953 03-18-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7271)
what did you think of e jackson

Midget who tries real hard ... :cool:

smitty46953 03-18-2017 08:42 PM

Bengals signed ILB Kevin Minter to a one-year contract. :cool:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8443/kevin-minter

Oldcolt 03-19-2017 12:41 PM

It looks like Ballard saw this roster and thought it needed an almost complete remake. If you look at the roster as divided up into thirds he seem to think that you can fill out the middle third pretty effectively and with free agents. No real stars, but hopefully solid pieces. The top third already has a few players but desperately needs play makers. Play makers rarely make free agency and tend to break the bank. I'm hoping for pass rusher, pass rusher and more pass rushers. Throw in a cb if you can and we are on our way.

Dam8610 03-19-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 7332)
It looks like Ballard saw this roster and thought it needed an almost complete remake. If you look at the roster as divided up into thirds he seem to think that you can fill out the middle third pretty effectively and with free agents. No real stars, but hopefully solid pieces. The top third already has a few players but desperately needs play makers. Play makers rarely make free agency and tend to break the bank. I'm hoping for pass rusher, pass rusher and more pass rushers. Throw in a cb if you can and we are on our way.

It's a sound strategy. Hopefully it pays off.

sherck 03-19-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 7332)
It looks like Ballard saw this roster and thought it needed an almost complete remake. If you look at the roster as divided up into thirds he seem to think that you can fill out the middle third pretty effectively and with free agents. No real stars, but hopefully solid pieces. The top third already has a few players but desperately needs play makers. Play makers rarely make free agency and tend to break the bank. I'm hoping for pass rusher, pass rusher and more pass rushers. Throw in a cb if you can and we are on our way.

I feel similiar.

I keep using the word "stabilize" to describe our free agency model. Get each position up to NFL average and get your difference makers from the draft.

Hope it works.

Cheers,


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smitty46953 03-19-2017 05:39 PM

Free agent TE Brandon Williams will visit the Colts.

Williams logged 149 snaps as the Seahawks' third-string tight end last season. The Colts are looking for depth behind Jack Doyle after trading Dwayne Allen to the Patriots. The 29-year-old has caught just six passes over four NFL seasons.

Related: Colts
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Mar 19 - 1:00 PM

:cool:

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Brylok 03-19-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 7358)
Free agent TE Brandon Williams will visit the Colts.

Williams logged 149 snaps as the Seahawks' third-string tight end last season. The Colts are looking for depth behind Jack Doyle after trading Dwayne Allen to the Patriots. The 29-year-old has caught just six passes over four NFL seasons.

Related: Colts
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Mar 19 - 1:00 PM

:cool:

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Veteran depth @ TE would be a good thing if the money is right (cheap).

bertjones 03-19-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7271)
what did you think of e jackson

Like him as a backup. He's a high energy guy that you're glad to have on the team.

VeveJones007 03-20-2017 12:21 AM

The Colts can get out of all these UFA signings next year. This tells me that Pagano is all but done. Ballard is just filling out the roster while he focuses on the draft.

They'll have a similar amount of cap space next offseason to spend more freely in UFA after the new coaches and schemes are in place.

Oldcolt 03-20-2017 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 7379)
The Colts can get out of all these UFA signings next year. This tells me that Pagano is all but done. Ballard is just filling out the roster while he focuses on the draft.

They'll have a similar amount of cap space next offseason to spend more freely in UFA after the new coaches and schemes are in place.

I don't get the logic. I agree that Ballard is filling out the roster and focused on the draft but how does that mean Pagano is gone. What would Ballard be doing differently if Pagano was going to stay?

Wyatt 03-20-2017 07:12 AM

Ballard vs Grigs
 
@MyColtsAccount
Since March 9, Chris Ballard has signed 10 Free Agents for a total of $83.85M; about the same amount as Grigson gave Landry, RJF + Cherilus.

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
(Apologies, should be 11 Free Agents: Schwenke, Turbin, Doyle, Hunt, Woods, Simon, Sheard, Mingo, Spence, Butler, Locke).

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
Also worth noting that Chris Ballard has not guaranteed a single dollar to any of this year's Free Agents beyond 2017. Zero cap hit if cut.

Wyatt 03-20-2017 07:21 AM

@MyColtsAccount Mar 13
Colts Average Age in 2016: 26.52
(29th in NFL)Colts Average Age Today: 25.33*
(Would have ranked 3rd)
*Before adding younger draft picks.

@MyColtsAccount Mar 13
My Colts Account Retweeted Noah Rollings
Removing Vinatieri (age 44) from the current 63 players, Colts average age is 25.03, which would have been 2nd-youngest (Rams) in 2016.

sherck 03-20-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 7391)
@MyColtsAccount Mar 13
Colts Average Age in 2016: 26.52
(29th in NFL)Colts Average Age Today: 25.33*
(Would have ranked 3rd)
*Before adding younger draft picks.

@MyColtsAccount Mar 13
My Colts Account Retweeted Noah Rollings
Removing Vinatieri (age 44) from the current 63 players, Colts average age is 25.03, which would have been 2nd-youngest (Rams) in 2016.

Hmmmm, of course it makes us younger to remove guys like Mathis, Cole, Adams and Walden.

I think moving the average age by under 18 months is a bit to do about nothing. Yeah, we had some older players. Getting younger in its own right does not make us better, specifically. They still have to be the "right" younger players.

Cheers,

sherck 03-20-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 7389)
@MyColtsAccount
Since March 9, Chris Ballard has signed 10 Free Agents for a total of $83.85M; about the same amount as Grigson gave Landry, RJF + Cherilus.

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
(Apologies, should be 11 Free Agents: Schwenke, Turbin, Doyle, Hunt, Woods, Simon, Sheard, Mingo, Spence, Butler, Locke).

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
Also worth noting that Chris Ballard has not guaranteed a single dollar to any of this year's Free Agents beyond 2017. Zero cap hit if cut.

That certainly puts things into perspective.

When none of those three "high priced" free agents of Grigson's panned out, he had nothing to show for his free agency class.

A few of the guys whom Ballard signed are going to suck or not make the final 53 man roster (my money is on Mingo and Hunt). However, he might still have a "successful" free agency class because at least a couple of those other guys are going to be starters and contribute greatly in 2017.

On one hand, I can completely understand the folks who wanted "at least ONE" splash signing of a sure-fire, clear cut superior player in free agency. Doyle, Sheard or Simon are as close as we get to that and it would not surprise me if Schwenke ends up being a 16 game starter at right OG in 2017.

However, I also think that having filled many of our glaring needs with NFL "serviceable" veteran talent and still having $14m in free cap space to spend this off-season on veteran "surprise" cuts later in free agency is pretty brilliant.

While the "surprise" cuts will not be young like most of Ballard's free agents have been, many of them are still talented, can give a couple of years of stop-gap service to develop draftees and could end up doing a lot for our team.

I see both sides of the equation. I am so very interested to see what Ballard does in the draft and with the rest of free agency.

Cheers,

Puck 03-20-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 7389)
@MyColtsAccount
Since March 9, Chris Ballard has signed 10 Free Agents for a total of $83.85M; about the same amount as Grigson gave Landry, RJF + Cherilus.

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
(Apologies, should be 11 Free Agents: Schwenke, Turbin, Doyle, Hunt, Woods, Simon, Sheard, Mingo, Spence, Butler, Locke).

@MyColtsAccount 11h11 hours ago
Also worth noting that Chris Ballard has not guaranteed a single dollar to any of this year's Free Agents beyond 2017. Zero cap hit if cut.


How is this possible when we only had 53 million or so available?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.