ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Desir (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67509)

smitty46953 02-22-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 110336)
Desir was on Sirius and sounds like he really wants to be back.

I keep hoping to see Colts have signed him to an extension :cool:

FatDT 02-22-2019 05:11 PM

Seems best for both team and player if he re-signs.

JAFF 02-22-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 110353)
Seems best for both team and player if he re-signs.

He can go out and test the market. He is going to get paid. And all that he and his family have been through, he should go and see what is available.

Dam8610 02-22-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110354)
He can go out and test the market. He is going to get paid. And all that he and his family have been through, he should go and see what is available.

Why? Why not give him something like 2/$16 and be done with it? He's earned it, and then CB is not a concern heading into free agency.

omahacolt 02-22-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110354)
He can go out and test the market. He is going to get paid. And all that he and his family have been through, he should go and see what is available.

Or you don’t let good players test the market

JAFF 02-22-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 110357)
Why? Why not give him something like 2/$16 and be done with it? He's earned it, and then CB is not a concern heading into free agency.

That's NOT the point. He has this chance to make life changing money, where his kids will not face what he and his wife have face. Ballard can make the offer you suggested, but he doesn't owe the Colts a thing. He has played well and hard and he's earned his chance to see what he is worth on the NFL landscape.

I want to see him stay, but if he gets stupid money up front, I get it.

JAFF 02-22-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 110379)
Or you don’t let good players test the market

NOT the point. You don't know what you are worth until you get an offer from outside the Colts

Puck 02-22-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110384)
NOT the point. You don't know what you are worth until you get an offer from outside the Colts

What Dam posted is a pretty good offer. Ballard is holding onto money and IMO it’s to sign their own. He deserves it. Maybe even a little more that 2/16

omahacolt 02-23-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110384)
NOT the point. You don't know what you are worth until you get an offer from outside the Colts

He has an agent. He knows his options.

Racehorse 02-23-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110383)
That's NOT the point. He has this chance to make life changing money, where his kids will not face what he and his wife have face. Ballard can make the offer you suggested, but he doesn't owe the Colts a thing. He has played well and hard and he's earned his chance to see what he is worth on the NFL landscape.

I want to see him stay, but if he gets stupid money up front, I get it.

2/$16M would be considered life changing money to most.

JAFF 02-23-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 110405)
What Dam posted is a pretty good offer. Ballard is holding onto money and IMO it’s to sign their own. He deserves it. Maybe even a little more that 2/16

You don't think another team could top that?

JAFF 02-23-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 110430)
2/$16M would be considered life changing money to most.

You think this is no other team who wants him other than the Colts? Its' good money, but this is free agency and dumb teams make dumb offers. Why take less until you find out what others want to spend?

Dam8610 02-23-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110457)
You think this is no other team who wants him other than the Colts? Its' good money, but this is free agency and dumb teams make dumb offers. Why take less until you find out what others want to spend?

You seem to be obsessed with him testing the market for some reason. That doesn't make a lot of sense for a player when the team he's on extends him a good offer. I doubt he'd see more than 3/27 on the open market, with most of that being funny money. I could see the Colts going 3/24 with 12 guaranteed (1st year salary, 2nd year roster bonus) to get it done without going to free agency. His agent would probably tell him to sign that deal, though not sure you would.

JAFF 02-23-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 110469)
You seem to be obsessed with him testing the market for some reason. That doesn't make a lot of sense for a player when the team he's on extends him a good offer. I doubt he'd see more than 3/27 on the open market, with most of that being funny money. I could see the Colts going 3/24 with 12 guaranteed (1st year salary, 2nd year roster bonus) to get it done without going to free agency. His agent would probably tell him to sign that deal, though not sure you would.

Ok, lets look at this without a fans bias.

1. He has an agent. While they should not be able to talk to other teams until a certain time, lets face it, it happens.

2. IF the Colts have made him a better offer than what his agent has heard, why wouldn't he sign?

3. Maybe he's playing poker. He has played well and has physical abilities that others don't have.

4. This isn't about me wanting him to leave. This about him getting the best deal. He's one injury away from being out of the league. He's nuts if he doesn't explore every avenue to maximize his income.

5. He doesn't owe the Colts a damn thing. He came in and has played his ass off for two years. This may be the only time where he has the advantage in free agency over a team. His job is to take care of his wife and kids, and to get the best deal he can get.

I want him back. I love guys like this. They defy the odds and make it and make a difference. I'm hoping Ballard has asked for the chance to counter any offer. The kid deserves that.

Racehorse 02-23-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110457)
You think this is no other team who wants him other than the Colts? Its' good money, but this is free agency and dumb teams make dumb offers. Why take less until you find out what others want to spend?

But that was not the point.

Dam8610 02-23-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 110474)
Ok, lets look at this without a fans bias.

1. He has an agent. While they should not be able to talk to other teams until a certain time, lets face it, it happens.

2. IF the Colts have made him a better offer than what his agent has heard, why wouldn't he sign?

3. Maybe he's playing poker. He has played well and has physical abilities that others don't have.

4. This isn't about me wanting him to leave. This about him getting the best deal. He's one injury away from being out of the league. He's nuts if he doesn't explore every avenue to maximize his income.

5. He doesn't owe the Colts a damn thing. He came in and has played his ass off for two years. This may be the only time where he has the advantage in free agency over a team. His job is to take care of his wife and kids, and to get the best deal he can get.

I want him back. I love guys like this. They defy the odds and make it and make a difference. I'm hoping Ballard has asked for the chance to counter any offer. The kid deserves that.

Why do you assume I'm looking at it with fan bias? Vontae Davis got 4/36 when he was 25 and looked like one of the top ten CBs in the NFL. Desir is 28 and not even arguably a top ten CB in the NFL. No team will want to go 4 years with him, and I can't see him going $9 million AAV. So 3/27 is the max deal I can see. That's why I think he signs if Ballard offers 3/24. Chasing $3 million in the market that you might not even get is not something players like to do.

FatDT 02-23-2019 11:02 PM

I gotta say I don’t care enough about Desir to get this deep into a conversation about his contract.

JAFF 02-24-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 110484)
Why do you assume I'm looking at it with fan bias? Vontae Davis got 4/36 when he was 25 and looked like one of the top ten CBs in the NFL. Desir is 28 and not even arguably a top ten CB in the NFL. No team will want to go 4 years with him, and I can't see him going $9 million AAV. So 3/27 is the max deal I can see. That's why I think he signs if Ballard offers 3/24. Chasing $3 million in the market that you might not even get is not something players like to do.

Thats what you think. We will see what happens in the real world

Coltsalr 02-27-2019 10:37 PM

Looks like JAFF gets his burning wish:

@gmbremer
Looks likely Clayton Geathers, Pierre Desir and Dontrelle Inman will be allowed to test the market. #Colts would like to have all three back and are talking with agents but they’ll see how things play out

sherck 02-27-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 110825)
Looks like JAFF gets his burning wish:



@gmbremer

Looks likely Clayton Geathers, Pierre Desir and Dontrelle Inman will be allowed to test the market. #Colts would like to have all three back and are talking with agents but they’ll see how things play out

Dang. I was hoping to keep Desir onboard.

I think there is zero chance he is not signed by someone early. He played too well and there are never enough quality CBs floating around.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JAFF 02-28-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 110825)
Looks like JAFF gets his burning wish:

@gmbremer
Looks likely Clayton Geathers, Pierre Desir and Dontrelle Inman will be allowed to test the market. #Colts would like to have all three back and are talking with agents but they’ll see how things play out

It's not my desire. I'm looking at it like a 28 year old who may have only one shot at a big contract. I would like for him to stay, that's not up to me or you.

Racehorse 02-28-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 110825)
Looks like JAFF gets his burning wish:

@gmbremer
Looks likely Clayton Geathers, Pierre Desir and Dontrelle Inman will be allowed to test the market. #Colts would like to have all three back and are talking with agents but they’ll see how things play out

If he goes elsewhere, we can all blame JAFF.

omahacolt 02-28-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 110846)
If he goes elsewhere, we can all blame JAFF.

That was my plan all along.

Pez 02-28-2019 11:25 AM

Dammit man, we should pick him up again... known quantity and getting better.

Discflinger 02-28-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 110825)
Looks like JAFF gets his burning wish:

@gmbremer
Looks likely Clayton Geathers, Pierre Desir and Dontrelle Inman will be allowed to test the market. #Colts would like to have all three back and are talking with agents but they’ll see how things play out

Well, they started talks with Geathers. I guess they know more about the injury than us.

Coltsalr 02-28-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discflinger (Post 110881)
Well, they started talks with Geathers. I guess they know more about the injury than us.

I do think we could upgrade on Geathers moreso than Desir, so this sort of annoys me.

I would definitely love to sign Landon Collins to replace Geathers. I also don't think it'd be overly difficult to draft a guy with more upside in the 2nd round than Geathers.

FatDT 02-28-2019 01:35 PM

DAMMIT JAFF. This is all your fault.

VeveJones007 02-28-2019 02:12 PM

This is probably Desir’s only chance for a lucrative contract for the rest of his career. It serves him to test the market rather than take a Glowinski-type deal.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 03-11-2019 12:33 AM

First Gettleman giveth, then Gettleman taketh away??


After Gettleman decided to not franchise tag Landon Collins and allow him to hit the free agent market, one name that Gettleman IS following is Pierre Desir.

The whole Giants secondary is a mess and they need help everywhere.

Maybe Gettleman thinks this is a "value" play - the Giants don't have a ton of cap room and they have more holes on their roster than just secondary.

Be interesting to see what kind of contract that Desir signs.


https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/03/nf....html#comments

FatDT 03-11-2019 10:02 AM

Maybe I am crazy but I just don't think Desir is THAT good. I'd like him back but I don't see him as some jewel in free agency.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 03-11-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112131)
Maybe I am crazy but I just don't think Desir is THAT good. I'd like him back but I don't see him as some jewel in free agency.


I think Ballard would agree with that. Which is why (barring a last minute change of heart) that he told Desir / his agent to go out and see what he can get on the open market. If the price is not too high, I'm sure Ballard would love to bring him back. But if it is too high, Ballard will look elsewhere.

The only issue is that the CB market doesn't have as deep a pool of free agents compared to the Safety market - some team may overpay.

Coltsalr 03-11-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112131)
Maybe I am crazy but I just don't think Desir is THAT good. I'd like him back but I don't see him as some jewel in free agency.

Agreed. Particularly with Quincy Wilson coming on late in the year and with Kenny Moore becoming a pretty decent nickel CB. If Nate Hairston could return to 2017 form they might be set at CB with a respectable group without any need to seek outside help.

Big IF on Hairston, though. I think the Colts draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round (preferably 2nd for sure) but I agree with you and hardly see Desir as some must-keep (and I agree that if Ballard felt that way that he would do so (in much the same way that he did Hunt/Glowstick).

Chaka 03-11-2019 10:55 AM

While we're talking about CBs in their late 20's, anyone see a chance for a reunion with Rashaan Melvin? Colts made an effort to keep him last offseason, but he wanted crazy money.

I recall lots of people here being upset with Ballard when he left last offseason on a one year deal with the Raiders, but he didn't perform well there and I'm guessing he could now be had for a much more acceptable rate - assuming he didn't burn his bridges here.

VeveJones007 03-11-2019 10:57 AM

Holder says that Desir will test the market and that both he and Colts are in agreement on that. Sounds like they have interest, but that there is difference on contract and they’ll see what the market is. Could be a “here’s what this team is offering, will you match” type situation.

rcubed 03-11-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112149)
Holder says that Desir will test the market and that both he and Colts are in agreement on that. Sounds like they have interest, but that there is difference on contract and they’ll see what the market is. Could be a “here’s what this team is offering, will you match” type situation.

thats my take as well. this is desir's chance at a big-ish contract and he wants to see what he can get. ballard gave desir a number, if he doesnt get what he is looking for he will come back at ballard's number.

JAFF 03-11-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 112188)
thats my take as well. this is desir's chance at a big-ish contract and he wants to see what he can get. ballard gave desir a number, if he doesnt get what he is looking for he will come back at ballard's number.

Good for both of them. I hope ballard can match or do better

Chromeburn 03-11-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 112148)
While we're talking about CBs in their late 20's, anyone see a chance for a reunion with Rashaan Melvin? Colts made an effort to keep him last offseason, but he wanted crazy money.

I recall lots of people here being upset with Ballard when he left last offseason on a one year deal with the Raiders, but he didn't perform well there and I'm guessing he could now be had for a much more acceptable rate - assuming he didn't burn his bridges here.

Melvin is better as a press corner. Rather bring back Desir who fits this defense better.

omahacolt 03-11-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112336)
Melvin is better as a press corner. Rather bring back Desir who fits this defense better.

Personally I like desir across the board over melvin

Coltsalr 03-11-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 112461)
Personally I like desir across the board over melvin

Desir also appears to like the Colts across the board more than Melvin did.

omahacolt 03-11-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 112464)
Desir also appears to like the Colts across the board more than Melvin did.

Yes he does


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.