ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Official 2018 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41057)

Dam8610 04-23-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63888)
Not sure many would agree with me, but I believe Roquan Smith would make a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

Literally any other player in Top 15 consideration that isn't a QB would have a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

VeveJones007 04-23-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63890)
Literally any other player in Top 15 consideration that isn't a QB would have a bigger impact on this team than Nelson.

I wouldn't go this far. Here are some guys considered top 15 talents that I wouldn't take over Nelson:

Fitzpatrick
James
Vea

Dam8610 04-23-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63892)
I wouldn't go this far. Here are some guys considered top 15 talents that I wouldn't take over Nelson:

Fitzpatrick
James
Vea

I'd absolutely take Fitzpatrick or James over Nelson.

VeveJones007 04-23-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63897)
I'd absolutely take Fitzpatrick or James over Nelson.

I see both as slot corners, which I value less than a dominant guard.

smitty46953 04-23-2018 12:11 PM

I hope they take Nelson if for no better reason than to watch Dammy have a complete mental meltdown ....

Want to see us protect our QB and improve running game, Nelson can do that. I won't be upset with Chubb if there at six or even if they trade back and fill more spots. Just want OL addressed early ... :cool:

VeveJones007 04-23-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 63910)
I hope they take Nelson if for no better reason than to watch Dammy have a complete mental meltdown ....

Want to see us protect our QB and improve running game, Nelson can do that. I won't be upset with Chubb if there at six or even if they trade back and fill more spots. Just want OL addressed early ... :cool:

If Chubb is off the board, I wouldn't be upset with Nelson as the pick. It's absolutely defensible--just not the route I would go.

rcubed 04-23-2018 12:53 PM

I think ballard stays at 6 unless some really crazy deal comes up.

He needs/wants a premier player and 6 is a great spot for it. The trade from 3 to 6 was excellent and we are sitting pretty.

I dont think he will take nelson at 6, I think its his highest rated D player and he takes best available OL with a 2nd round pick.

Dam8610 04-23-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63899)
I see both as slot corners, which I value less than a dominant guard.

The best role for both is safety. I'd draft either as a safety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 63910)
I hope they take Nelson if for no better reason than to watch Dammy have a complete mental meltdown ....

Want to see us protect our QB and improve running game, Nelson can do that. I won't be upset with Chubb if there at six or even if they trade back and fill more spots. Just want OL addressed early ... :cool:

OL is a much lesser need than pretty much every defensive position, and guard isn't an impact position. Pretty much any defender the Colts could get at 6 has a chance to be a difference maker. I just don't see Nelson moving the needle all that much.

Dam8610 04-23-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 63916)
I think ballard stays at 6 unless some really crazy deal comes up.

He needs/wants a premier player and 6 is a great spot for it. The trade from 3 to 6 was excellent and we are sitting pretty.

I dont think he will take nelson at 6, I think its his highest rated D player and he takes best available OL with a 2nd round pick.

Depending on how the board falls, I could see a desperate Bills team moving up for the last QB (giving the Colts 12 & 22 for 6) or the Bears moving up for Nelson (giving up 8 & 39 for 6). If I'm Ballard, those are two trades I make (though I make damn sure the Bears are drafting Nelson before trading with them because their needs are too similar to the Colts' needs), and if I'm making the second trade, I'm looking for a way back into the late 20s with that 39th overall pick, or maybe even the 37th pick. I'd like to see the Colts come away with 4 or more new defensive players that I'm confident can be starters out of this draft. There are a lot of good defenders in the top 50, hopefully Ballard brings a few of them in.

smitty46953 04-23-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63934)
The best role for both is safety. I'd draft either as a safety.



OL is a much lesser need than pretty much every defensive position, and guard isn't an impact position. Pretty much any defender the Colts could get at 6 has a chance to be a difference maker. I just don't see Nelson moving the needle all that much.

Still want Nelson just to watch you implode if for no other reason.... LOL :cool:

VeveJones007 04-23-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63945)
Depending on how the board falls, I could see a desperate Bills team moving up for the last QB (giving the Colts 12 & 22 for 6) or the Bears moving up for Nelson (giving up 8 & 39 for 6). If I'm Ballard, those are two trades I make (though I make damn sure the Bears are drafting Nelson before trading with them because their needs are too similar to the Colts' needs), and if I'm making the second trade, I'm looking for a way back into the late 20s with that 39th overall pick, or maybe even the 37th pick. I'd like to see the Colts come away with 4 or more new defensive players that I'm confident can be starters out of this draft. There are a lot of good defenders in the top 50, hopefully Ballard brings a few of them in.

Why would the Bears do this?

1) If you make them commit to taking Nelson, you tip that you aren't interested in taking Nelson.
2) If you tell them you're considering trading with a team moving up for a QB, they would stand pat and get Nelson at 8.

Dam8610 04-23-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63947)
Why would the Bears do this?

1) If you make them commit to taking Nelson, you tip that you aren't interested in taking Nelson.
2) If you tell them you're considering trading with a team moving up for a QB, they would stand pat and get Nelson at 8.

1) You don't think teams figure out who the team trading up is picking? I know if they say "Edmunds" or "Smith", I'm probably less likely to do the trade than if they say "Nelson". And of course if Chubb is on the board, I wouldn't trade down.

2) I'm talking about two different scenarios. In the first scenario, at least one of the QBs is available. In the second scenario, all four QBs are taken. Obviously if a QB is there, the best offer will likely come from a QB needy team.

YDFL Commish 04-23-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63978)
1) You don't think teams figure out who the team trading up is picking? I know if they say "Edmunds" or "Smith", I'm probably less likely to do the trade than if they say "Nelson". And of course if Chubb is on the board, I wouldn't trade down.

2) I'm talking about two different scenarios. In the first scenario, at least one of the QBs is available. In the second scenario, all four QBs are taken. Obviously if a QB is there, the best offer will likely come from a QB needy team.

Please go back in history, and show me the last time a team traded up for a Guard, in the 1st round?

Puck 04-23-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63934)
The best role for both is safety. I'd draft either as a safety.



OL is a much lesser need than pretty much every defensive position, and guard isn't an impact position. Pretty much any defender the Colts could get at 6 has a chance to be a difference maker. I just don't see Nelson moving the needle all that much.


I think its funny you are all about drafting for need and you would take a safety.... Maybe our most set position on the team

Puck 04-23-2018 08:27 PM

Bill Belichick on drafting for need

http://www.theherdnow.com/video-bill...-presser-rant/

I am 99.9999999% sure this is the same as all the GM's in the league and especially Ballard since he has said it over and over....

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/C...9-5a40a08055a3

Puck 04-23-2018 08:41 PM

Ballard doesnt expect 4 QB taken before we draft. He said he would be surprised if more than 2 are taken.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/...018-nfl-draft/


That would be my guess also unless someone trades with Browns or Giants.

I dont think this QB class is as great as everyone else... Mayfield has Manziel written all over him IMO

VeveJones007 04-23-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63986)
Ballard doesnt expect 4 QB taken before we draft. He said he would be surprised if more than 2 are taken.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/...018-nfl-draft/


That would be my guess also unless someone trades with Browns or Giants.

I dont think this QB class is as great as everyone else... Mayfield has Manziel written all over him IMO

That’s a poor, lazy comp. I didn’t realize you could tell someone was an alcoholic merely by looking at them.

Mayfield is a significantly better prospect and doesn’t have anywhere near the off-field concerns.

Dam8610 04-23-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63984)
I think its funny you are all about drafting for need and you would take a safety.... Maybe our most set position on the team

I'd rather have a safety duo that compares favorably to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry than have Kevin Zeitler at guard. One will make more of an overall impact on the team.

Puck 04-23-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63990)
That’s a poor, lazy comp. I didn’t realize you could tell someone was an alcoholic merely by looking at them.

Mayfield is a significantly better prospect and doesn’t have anywhere near the off-field concerns.

I didn't say anything about being an alcoholic....

Maybe I should have said Ryan Leaf ......


https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/video/1217403971834

Puck 04-23-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63991)
I'd rather have a safety duo that compares favorably to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry than have Kevin Zeitler at guard. One will make more of an overall impact on the team.

You still dont understand that the ONE thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will make the biggest impact is Luck being on the field and not getting sacked hit and injured yr after yr,

We can win without Chubb or the best safety duo in the NFL or the best MLB... we aren't winning without Luck

rcubed 04-23-2018 09:07 PM

Bears are not trading up two spots to get a guard

Dam8610 04-23-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63993)
You still dont understand that the ONE thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will make the biggest impact is Luck being on the field and not getting sacked hit and injured yr after yr,

We can win without Chubb or the best safety duo in the NFL or the best MLB... we aren't winning without Luck

I guess I just have more confidence in the coaching staff's offensive design than you do. If Reich can't design an offense that doesn't need 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick (or possibly two) along the OL to be effective at getting the ball out quickly and protecting Luck, both of which are among Reich's stated goals, the Colts are going to have problems going forward no matter who is picked at 6 overall (or possibly later). Meanwhile, the Colts have probably the worst defensive talent in the league, and desperately need to improve their talent there. 4 top 50 picks would do just that.

Dam8610 04-23-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 63994)
Bears are not trading up two spots to get a guard

As long as they wouldn't be taking the player I wanted to draft, I'd make the trade provided Chubb is off the board. But that poses the question: if Nelson isn't worth trading up for, why is he worth drafting at 6?

rcubed 04-23-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63997)
As long as they wouldn't be taking the player I wanted to draft, I'd make the trade provided Chubb is off the board. But that poses the question: if Nelson isn't worth trading up for, why is he worth drafting at 6?

He's not imo. I don't think Chi gives up picks to move up two spots for him. Wait and see if he falls to 8.

If Ballard were to take nelson at 6 I hope he solidifies an OL spot for a decade. But I would rather he take a difference maker on D.

ZiaColt 04-23-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 63915)
If Chubb is off the board, I wouldn't be upset with Nelson as the pick. It's absolutely defensible--just not the route I would go.

that's sorta where I am too; if Chubb's gone I could live with Nelson (or maybe Smith or Edmunds, for that matter) at 6. Even Barkley, if he somehow dropped that far, although I fear he might struggle behind the Colts OL.

I still feel some may be over-valuing the 6th position (and some of the QBs) in this draft. I expect the most Ballard might be able to get for it would be something like what I mentioned earlier--#12, #53 or #56, and maybe #65.

Not that those picks would make it a "bad" trade for Indy--I'd definitely give it consideration if I were Ballard. I think a lot of scouts feel that this year's 2nd round compares more favorably to previous 2nd rounds than this year's 1st round compares to previous 1st rounds.

So there should still be quality OLs, RBs and CBs in Round Two, maybe even Round Three. Which is why I wouldn't be upset if Ballard did make a trade like the one above with Buffalo--still get a core player at #12, and overall have 7 of the first 67 picks.

Puck 04-24-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63995)
I guess I just have more confidence in the coaching staff's offensive design than you do. If Reich can't design an offense that doesn't need 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick (or possibly two) along the OL to be effective at getting the ball out quickly and protecting Luck, both of which are among Reich's stated goals, the Colts are going to have problems going forward no matter who is picked at 6 overall (or possibly later). Meanwhile, the Colts have probably the worst defensive talent in the league, and desperately need to improve their talent there. 4 top 50 picks would do just that.


You were also confident in Pagshit too... so no one is taking much value in this line of thought.

Although you are right no one can be as dumb as Pagano/Chud were

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63992)
I didn't say anything about being an alcoholic....

Maybe I should have said Ryan Leaf ......


https://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/video/1217403971834

Once again, you compared Mayfield to someone with drug and alcohol abuse problems.

When you paint with a broad brush, there's collateral damage. Thus, avoid over-generalizations when trying to evaluate any situation.

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 09:13 AM

Shefty says that Mayfield is still in consideration for the Browns at #1.

Quote:

Just to add a bit more murkiness to top of draft: one NFL executive said this morning that Baker Mayfield is “definitely” in Cleveland’s conversation to become the No. 1 overall pick.

FatDT 04-24-2018 09:34 AM

No way the Browns don't know who they're picking. Just more BS.

Puck 04-24-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 64031)
Once again, you compared Mayfield to someone with drug and alcohol abuse problems.

When you paint with a broad brush, there's collateral damage. Thus, avoid over-generalizations when trying to evaluate any situation.


I guess you didnt listen to Leaf... HE COMPARED him to himself

rm1369 04-24-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63993)
You still dont understand that the ONE thing. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will make the biggest impact is Luck being on the field and not getting sacked hit and injured yr after yr,

We can win without Chubb or the best safety duo in the NFL or the best MLB... we aren't winning without Luck

My only issue with this is that if Ballard agrees with that (and he should) then why the hell would you not spend any of the huge amounts of cap space they had available to protect Luck? It’s either vitally important or it’s not. Up till this point, thru 2 free agent periods and 1 draft, Ballard has said its not that important. Using a #6 pick on a guard just compounds the stupidity.

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 64039)
I guess you didnt listen to Leaf... HE COMPARED him to himself

I heard it last week and it was bullshit last week, too. Leaf comparing himself to Mayfield is just as wrong as you comparing them.

Let's try this another way. Please list the similarities and the differences. Show your work.

Dam8610 04-24-2018 10:31 AM

Honestly the QB Mayfield compares best to for me is Russell Wilson. I'd want to watch a little more film on him before definitively making that comparison, but both are short for the position, both use their legs and speed to extend plays, and both had/have character questions coming out.

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 64050)
Honestly the QB Mayfield compares best to for me is Russell Wilson. I'd want to watch a little more film on him before definitively making that comparison, but both are short for the position, both use their legs and speed to extend plays, and both had/have character questions coming out.

Comp I heard recently that I really liked was Jeff Garcia, but Wilson is another good one. Not sure Mayfield has quite the same top-end arm strength as Wilson, which is why I prefer Garcia.

njcoltfan 04-24-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiaColt (Post 64004)
that's sorta where I am too; if Chubb's gone I could live with Nelson (or maybe Smith or Edmunds, for that matter) at 6. Even Barkley, if he somehow dropped that far, although I fear he might struggle behind the Colts OL.

I still feel some may be over-valuing the 6th position (and some of the QBs) in this draft. I expect the most Ballard might be able to get for it would be something like what I mentioned earlier--#12, #53 or #56, and maybe #65.

Not that those picks would make it a "bad" trade for Indy--I'd definitely give it consideration if I were Ballard. I think a lot of scouts feel that this year's 2nd round compares more favorably to previous 2nd rounds than this year's 1st round compares to previous 1st rounds.

So there should still be quality OLs, RBs and CBs in Round Two, maybe even Round Three. Which is why I wouldn't be upset if Ballard did make a trade like the one above with Buffalo--still get a core player at #12, and overall have 7 of the first 67 picks.

I would’nt start a conversation with the Bills if #12 AND #22 are not in play!!!

ukcolt 04-24-2018 11:35 AM

An offensive line with 2 first round picks and 1 second rounder...yeah, that is fine, but the 2nd rounder has had big issues staying healthy, and one of the 1st rounders has also struggled a little with health, the other 2 spots have been in a constant state of flux for the last 3 or 4 years and something needs to be done to address it.

Dam you say you have more faith in the new coaches, Philbin was renowned as being a really good offensive line coach in his prior stints. I am not so convinced that a new OL coach is suddenly going to make them a huge amount better. They may improve from one year to another due to the additional year of experience, but i don't want to bet everything that that is going to happen, and would want to put some serious draft capital into the OL this year.

ukcolt 04-24-2018 11:37 AM

The defense needs an infusion of talent as well not denying that, but can't just go all defense. The DL generally isn't too bad, and the safety position looks to be in reasonably stable condition. We do need CB depth/starter and several LB's though, but the OL is at least on a par with the CB position in terms of need.

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

@HolderStephen
Listening to Ryan Kelly, there's definitely going to be a lot of zone blocking in the Colts' new offensive scheme.
This factors in to possible OL fits in the draft.

A guy like Brian O'Neill from Pitt could be a good OT option late 2/3.

VeveJones007 04-24-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 64057)
I would’nt start a conversation with the Bills if #12 AND #22 are not in play!!!

I agree with this, but Ballard might not. As an example, there are going to be a lot of OL options in rounds 2-3, so he might prefer getting an extra 1-2 players.

Though, you could always look to trade back from #22 if you don't like the board at that point. #22 could be a hot commodity for teams trying to move in front of the Patriots for one of the QBs.

Maniac 04-24-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 64061)
This factors in to possible OL fits in the draft.

This is a list from sportsline for zone blocking rankings for interior OL:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-interior-ols/

Quote:

Zone Scheme

1. Daniels
2. Wynn
3. Price
4. Nelson
5. Ragnow
6. Hernandez
and OT's :

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...now-about-ots/

Quote:

Zone Scheme

1. Crosby
2. Miller
3. Williams
4. McGlinchey
5. Okorafor
6. Brown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.