ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Free Agents Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597)

smitty46953 03-13-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 6428)
Been a successful backup, and better than Turbin.

Pretty sure opinions will vary on that statement... To me Michael has shown plenty of raw ability, just doesn't know how to play football. :cool:

apballin 03-13-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 6425)
I read a couple of articles about Hunt. Most were saying that they saw "improvement" and that he was good on Special Teams.

But, he now has to bulk up to be a 3-4 DE or slim down to be a 3-4 OLB; neither position has he played before.

I see this as a Special Teams signing.

Cheers,

Why does a guy that is that strong need to bulk up?

6ft 8 290 he doesn't need to do shit but get on the field

Puck 03-13-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 6373)
Depends on how you define "Fixing". It appears that every crucial position as far as needling upgraded is being addressed on defense. NT CB and S are the areas that are left.

Think Jones is staying to help the new Guys learn this D

OT and OG and TE offense is in prey good shape.

Next yr there will be more needs that open up and the cycle continues


Ballard has adept on more moves Tami ever expected and is still working on things



Ballard has spent more on FA moves than I ever expected and he is still working on it is what I meant

Puck 03-13-2017 09:18 PM

Per ESPN’s Field Yates, the Colts hosted Hunt and Titans center Brian Schwenke on free agent visits Monday.

Indiana V2 03-13-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 6445)
Per ESPN’s Field Yates, the Colts hosted Hunt and Titans center Brian Schwenke on free agent visits Monday.

Little late to the party, Puck. :cool:

Puck 03-13-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 6448)
Little late to the party, Puck. :cool:


Sorry didn't see anything posted about Schwenke

smitty46953 03-13-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6409)
Report: Colts hosted DL Margus Hunt, C Brian Schwenke on visits

:cool:

Not sure I understand either of these guys getting signed ??? Both sucked IMHO hopefully can turn it around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

smitty46953 03-13-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 6448)
Little late to the party, Puck. :cool:

He busy guy ...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Puck 03-13-2017 09:48 PM

Pagano got ahold of the checkbook when Ballard was in the shitter

Butter 03-13-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6458)
Not sure I understand either of these guys getting signed ??? Both sucked IMHO hopefully can turn it around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Depth/Camp bodies?. It does seem a bit early for that, but whatever.

GoBigBlue88 03-13-2017 10:16 PM

Don't know anything about Schwenke so I won't comment, but between watching a lot of Bengals and following a lot of Bengals analysts ... Hunt is garbage. Like, worse than Bjoern Werner garbage.

If he turns that around, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

Was kinda hoping the "just sign 30-year-old guys" thing would stop with Grigson...

smitty46953 03-13-2017 10:37 PM

Anything on how Kevin Minter interview went with Colts? :cool:

natagu23 03-13-2017 10:46 PM

We need to fire our whole damn scouting department.

FatDT 03-13-2017 10:53 PM

I don't think there's any reason to panic. I doubt Hunt and Schwenke got much money. I'm good with the punter and Sheard and Simon. I'm ok but unimpressed with Mingo. As long as these new guys also did not get paid then they're in the same category.

I still think the only misstep by Ballard was not signing one of the two top guards. FA this year has been pretty weak. I really don't want to overpay/oversign Poe and it seems like we refused to do so. I do think signing a NT and ILB is probably worth doing. That may still happen. But there are no sure fire options. And that's the issue in general. Ballard has to fill out the roster, he can't draft enough players to do that. He has to use FA. But FA kinda sucks this year.

smitty46953 03-13-2017 11:25 PM

Around The NFL‏Verified account @AroundTheNFL · 12s12 seconds ago

Around The NFL Retweeted OAKLAND RAIDERS

It's official: Cordarelle Patterson is a Raider

:cool:

smitty46953 03-13-2017 11:26 PM

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora · 24s25 seconds ago

Dontari Poe is in Atlanta and will meet with the Falcons in the AM

:cool:

ukcolt 03-14-2017 07:48 AM

The Colts surely have to do something in free agency with regards the defensive backfield? We currently have 5 guys that i think might make the roster and only 2 of those are what i would actually consider to be at a reasonable NFL standard those two being Davis and Geathers. The other 3 are Melvin, who only started by default and wasn't all that great, and should be our 5th or 6th corner, then T.J. Green who looked lost when he played last year, but lets hope that with another training camp that he pulls his head out of his arse and plays to the level that he was drafted, and finally Farley who is borderline NFL talent.

We likely will carry 10 defensive backs on the final roster. That means we need to find 5/6 guys who are better than Farley and Melvin, we might draft 2/3, but that means we need to pickup at least 2 guys, more realistically 3 and possibly 4 via free agency. Although we are trying to get younger, i agree with a lot of people that we should resign Darius Butler, who would fill 2 slots, both the nickle and the main backup at safety.

The other guys currently on the roster include, Andrew Williamson, Stefan McClure, Chris Milton and Charles James II.

This to me is now by far the biggest area of need for the Colts, sure we need a pass rusher and inside linebackers as an upgrade to what we have already signed in free agency.....but we literally have no talent at corner, nor any depth.

sherck 03-14-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6504)
The Colts surely have to do something in free agency with regards the defensive backfield? We currently have 5 guys that i think might make the roster and only 2 of those are what i would actually consider to be at a reasonable NFL standard those two being Davis and Geathers. The other 3 are Melvin, who only started by default and wasn't all that great, and should be our 5th or 6th corner, then T.J. Green who looked lost when he played last year, but lets hope that with another training camp that he pulls his head out of his arse and plays to the level that he was drafted, and finally Farley who is borderline NFL talent.

We likely will carry 10 defensive backs on the final roster. That means we need to find 5/6 guys who are better than Farley and Melvin, we might draft 2/3, but that means we need to pickup at least 2 guys, more realistically 3 and possibly 4 via free agency. Although we are trying to get younger, i agree with a lot of people that we should resign Darius Butler, who would fill 2 slots, both the nickle and the main backup at safety.

The other guys currently on the roster include, Andrew Williamson, Stefan McClure, Chris Milton and Charles James II.

This to me is now by far the biggest area of need for the Colts, sure we need a pass rusher and inside linebackers as an upgrade to what we have already signed in free agency.....but we literally have no talent at corner, nor any depth.

I don't disagree with you, but there is not much available anymore at CB that fit a "man up" defensive system. Most of the guys left under 30 years old (Morris Clairborne, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Alterraun Verner, Sterling Moore, Marcus Williams) are either no better than NFL average or are zone CBs who don't fit the system here in Indy.

Now, there are a couple of safety options that I would like to see the Colts kick the tires on (Lardarius Webb who is 31 but the best left, J.J. Wilcox, Bradley McDougald, T.J. McDonald, Daimion Stafford) to add some safety valve / depth along with Green and Geathers.

They may be waiting for the camp cuts to try and fill the CB slots as well after drafting 1 or 2.

Anyway, Ballard talked about building the trenches and that is what he has done so far; defensive front-7 and offensive line (and punter). The secondary is just going to have to wait, apparently.

Cheers,

Wyatt 03-14-2017 09:16 AM

FWIW
None of Ballard's signings/re-signings have been over 29 years old.

Johanvil 03-14-2017 09:19 AM

Kevin Patra‏@kpatra
.@RapSheet says on @gmfb Dontari Poe now likely to sign 1-yr ‘prove-it’ deal wherever he signs
Smart for the team that lands the up-down DT

Wyatt 03-14-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6473)
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora · 24s25 seconds ago

Dontari Poe is in Atlanta and will meet with the Falcons in the AM

:cool:

@JosinaAnderson
I'm told DT Dontari Poe is in Atlanta already. Was greeted by number of fans. He's having dinner tonight with the HC & #Falcons brass. (last night)

Puck 03-14-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 6517)
@JosinaAnderson
I'm told DT Dontari Poe is in Atlanta already. Was greeted by number of fans. He's having dinner tonight with the HC & #Falcons brass. (last night)

If it's not a numbers thing. He is going to sign with Atlanta. He wants a prove it deal and with that D he will make himself look a lot better.

I'd bet he signs with Atlanta today

njcoltfan 03-14-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 6522)
If it's not a numbers thing. He is going to sign with Atlanta. He wants a prove it deal and with that D he will make himself look a lot better.

I'd bet he signs with Atlanta today

I guess it's going to be either Poe, or a draft pick playing NT for the Colts this year.

sherck 03-14-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 6524)
I guess it's going to be either Poe, or a draft pick playing NT for the Colts this year.

I would not count Parry out yet. It will depend on how the legal proceedings go.

But, honestly, I would like the Colts to get two "true" NTs and let Parry (if we retain him) move out to 5-tech DE as I think he has the burst to be effective out there. He is not the proto-typical body type for it but he has given very good service over his first two years in the league.

But, if I am rubbing my crystal ball, I think Parry is gone.

Chees,

ukcolt 03-14-2017 09:54 AM

I disagree regarding Claiborne, i think that he could excel in a man cover system, and that might be exactly what he needs to fulfill his potential. He is actually a fairly aggressive tackler in run support. His biggest issue is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy. He has speed to burn, and his best days could well be ahead of him if he could put together an injury free season.

Alterraun Verner i think would be another nice pickup as the third corner, not as a starter, although i suspect that he would hold his own as well as any No. 2 that we have had in the last few years, but that isn't saying too much.

The rest i do agree that there are meager pickings, but we have to bring in someone to compete and we do still have plenty of cap space left. Claiborne signed a 1 year $3m contract last year and hopefully could be had for something slightly more than this once again. I would also imagine that Verner isn't likely to break the bank in the $3m range. This would still leave us with enough money to compete to sign Poe, assuming we are still interested in him.

njcoltfan 03-14-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 6526)
I would not count Parry out yet. It will depend on how the legal proceedings go.

But, honestly, I would like the Colts to get two "true" NTs and let Parry (if we retain him) move out to 5-tech DE as I think he has the burst to be effective out there. He is not the proto-typical body type for it but he has given very good service over his first two years in the league.

But, if I am rubbing my crystal ball, I think Parry is gone.

Chees,

If Parry escapes ( no pun intended) jail time, I think he will be jettisoned.

Wyatt 03-14-2017 10:33 AM

@pfrumors 5m5 minutes ago
Saints To Sign LB Alex Okafor http://www.profootballrumors.com/201...lb-alex-okafor …

omahacolt 03-14-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 6527)
I disagree regarding Claiborne, i think that he could excel in a man cover system, and that might be exactly what he needs to fulfill his potential. He is actually a fairly aggressive tackler in run support. His biggest issue is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy. He has speed to burn, and his best days could well be ahead of him if he could put together an injury free season.

Alterraun Verner i think would be another nice pickup as the third corner, not as a starter, although i suspect that he would hold his own as well as any No. 2 that we have had in the last few years, but that isn't saying too much.

The rest i do agree that there are meager pickings, but we have to bring in someone to compete and we do still have plenty of cap space left. Claiborne signed a 1 year $3m contract last year and hopefully could be had for something slightly more than this once again. I would also imagine that Verner isn't likely to break the bank in the $3m range. This would still leave us with enough money to compete to sign Poe, assuming we are still interested in him.

No to both corners

sherck 03-14-2017 11:32 AM

Okay, after having gotten (rightly) spanked by posting a bad list of NT draft prospects, I did a little more research.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a pretty bad draft class for 3-4 NT prospects. Combining NFL.com, ESPN, CBSportsline and Walter Football, I come up only three guys whom somebody out there thinks are draftable:

Stevie Tu’ikolovatu, USC...........6’1”, 331 lbs, 5th / 6th projection
Josh Tupou, Colorado...............6’3”, 362 lbs, 7th / UDFA projection
Grover Stewart, Albany State....6’4”, 347 lbs, 7th / UDFA projection

The hit on Tu'ikolovatu as the crčme of the crop, besides his name, is that he is 26 years old due to having injury issues and taking 2 years off for mission (I assume he is Mormon).

All three are pretty limited as pass rushers so they are pretty much all two down players. All three are said that they can "anchor" and pile up a double team block which is their primary role. However, they need to INVITE the double team as if you only single block them they rag doll the OC and then go disrupt the play. I don't know that any of these guys can do that.

The rest of the 3-4 NT prospects are all projected to be picked up as UDFA:

Eli Ankou, UCLA................................6’3”, 331 lbs
Josh Augusta, Missouri.......................6’4”, 360 lbs
Isaiah Golden, McNeese St.................6’2”, 325 lbs
Roderick Henderson, Alabama St.........6’0”, 354 lbs
Nick James, Mississippi St..................6’4”, 325 lbs
Tyrique Jarrett, Pittsburgh..................6’3”, 335 lbs
Justin Shanks, Florida State................6’2”, 344 lbs
Jon Taylor, Southeastern Louisiana......6’5”, 348 lbs

Signing Poe and drafting someone as the backup is BY FAR the best option. Having to start two low round draft picks is not ideal.

Cheers,

smitty46953 03-14-2017 03:11 PM

My Wish List from remaining Free Agents ... :cool:

Johnathan Hankins DT
Zack Brown LB
Kevin Minter LB
Darius Butler S/CB
Morris Claiborne CB

smitty46953 03-14-2017 03:32 PM

NFL Network‏Verified account @nflnetwork · 5m5 minutes ago
LB Jarvis Jones is expected to sign with the @AZCardinals.


:cool:

smitty46953 03-14-2017 03:35 PM

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet · 3h3 hours ago

For the #Seahawks and RB Eddie Lacy, it's: 1 year, $5.55M with $3M fully guaranteed.

:cool:

omahacolt 03-14-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6586)
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet · 3h3 hours ago

For the #Seahawks and RB Eddie Lacy, it's: 1 year, $5.55M with $3M fully guaranteed.

:cool:

I heard the dude weighed in at 267 lbs

smitty46953 03-14-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6589)
I heard the dude weighed in at 267 lbs

Yes I heard same thing. Also heard Pete Carroll said he wants him big with playing weight of 240+ ... :cool:

Maniac 03-14-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6589)
I heard the dude weighed in at 267 lbs

He is on the Jamarcus Russell diet.

Brylok 03-14-2017 06:54 PM

Simon seems like the best addition so far. Filling holes and creating competition is good, but I'd like to see at least one established defensive playmaker added. They have/had $50 million available.

apballin 03-14-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 6627)
Simon seems like the best addition so far. Filling holes and creating competition is good, but I'd like to see at least one established defensive playmaker added. They have/had $50 million available.

Name 1 specific guy because otherthan Poe or Berry there wasn't any playmakers available

Puck 03-14-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 6632)
Name 1 specific guy because otherthan Poe or Berry there wasn't any playmakers available


Bouye
Gilmore
Williams
Campbell

VeveJones007 03-14-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 6627)
Simon seems like the best addition so far. Filling holes and creating competition is good, but I'd like to see at least one established defensive playmaker added. They have/had $50 million available.

This has been my biggest complaint of the last five years. When you have that much cap space and Mike Adams is the biggest playmaker you bring in, you've failed.

Dam8610 03-15-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 6636)
Bouye
Gilmore
Williams
Campbell

50% correct. Bouye and Campbell fit the bill.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.