ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Draft Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397)

VeveJones007 04-21-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10288)
The way I kind of picture him is inside for two downs and outside for passing downs. But he would give you the option of blitzing him from virtually anywhere. But him out there with a dedicated EDGE and then you really start causing problems. Will he cover the TE or RB and do it very well? Or is he coming on a blitz? But as a dedicated EDGE, I don't know. He has great bend, but he will have problems with long armed tackles, he is just so short for that position. I would rather combine him with a Harris, Rivers, Watt, or Bowser. That could be a deadly combo.

Also, Foster is an excellent blitzer from between the tackles.

I do think Reddick is smart and has great character and that will play a role. Ballard is reading about the Cubs build by Epstein and this quote seemed to have an impact on Ballard.

"Theo -- baseball was getting flat in terms of the analytics and the edge that they were getting from the numbers -- so he kind of took a different approach with character," Ballard said, via ESPN's Mike Wells. "We want high-character guys that love football, that will hold each other accountable, that will be good teammates. It stuck out like a beacon light.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-cubs-example

I would be very happy with either Foster or Reddick at 15. Otherwise, I definitely want them to move down.

Chromeburn 04-21-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 10268)
As a Florida guy, do you have any take on Jarrad Davis? He also strikes me as a guy that would be a safe 1st round pick, albeit that he might be a bit of a reach at #15 (though perhaps maybe not, as there's some recent rumblings that he could go ahead of Reuben Foster in the top 15).

My take, Davis is talented and can play in just about any system. If you ignore his injuries he should be a very good player. I think he would be best suited for a 4-3 Mike or Sam role. He is best attacking in a one gap system rather than a sit and read 3-4. You want to point him in a direction and let him go. I think he would thrive in that role, but he is talented and athletic enough to play in any system.

VeveJones007 04-21-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 10303)
Trade from 1-15 to 1-19 and then from 1-19 to about 1-24 or 1-25 nets you 2 3rd round choices with trading nothing away.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Somewhat reasonable scenario off the top of my head:

Broncos move up from 1.20 for McCaffrey or OL, then Texans move up from 1.25 for a QB.

Net result = 2 extra 3rds and a similar player at 1.25 that they could have had at 1.15

Spike 04-21-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 10284)
Ok, we have all talked about our desire to trade down and pick up additional picks. Which I'm all for BTW!

But how many would be in favor of trading up to get the once in a lifetime talent of Myles Garrett?

What would it take to do so? At least this years 1st and next years 1st at a minimum, I would expect. But how much more?

How many would be in favor of such a move?

Nope! Done trading with the fucking Browns. Plus, way too many holes to fill. If we were an edge rusher away from the SB, then sure, but we are far from being in that position. Need DB's, linebackers, Oline, running backs, and a competent head coach.

Spike 04-21-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 10311)
Somewhat reasonable scenario off the top of my head:

Broncos move up from 1.20 for McCaffrey or OL, then Texans move up from 1.25 for a QB.

Net result = 2 extra 3rds and a similar player at 1.25 that they could have had at 1.15

The only problem with the Texans moving up from 25 to 20 is that the 4 teams in front of them don't need a QB. Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Giants.

VeveJones007 04-21-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 10320)
The only problem with the Texans moving up from 25 to 20 is that the 4 teams in front of them don't need a QB. Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Giants.

Yeah, but they have to worry about QB-needy teams behind them leapfrogging them, such as SF, CHI, NYJ, KC. They were one pick away from Bridgewater falling to them a couple years back until the Vikings moved up.

Spike 04-21-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 10326)
Yeah, but they have to worry about QB-needy teams behind them leapfrogging them, such as SF, CHI, NYJ, KC. They were one pick away from Bridgewater falling to them a couple years back until the Vikings moved up.

Great point!

VeveJones007 04-21-2017 03:39 PM

Matt Miller‏ @nfldraftscout 16m16 minutes ago

Latest buzz:

- Foster falls to "Myles Jack" range
- Ross, Mixon, Cook Rd2
- 2 QBs going top 10 (Trubisky, Mahomes?)

YDFL Commish 04-21-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 10336)
Matt Miller‏ @nfldraftscout 16m16 minutes ago

Latest buzz:

- Foster falls to "Myles Jack" range
- Ross, Mixon, Cook Rd2
- 2 QBs going top 10 (Trubisky, Mahomes?)

I can definitely see that scenario playing out.

Butter 04-21-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 10352)
I can definitely see that scenario playing out.

QBs will always move up the board.

FatDT 04-21-2017 09:18 PM

The more the merrier. Take all the QBs and RBs and WRs and TEs and OTs. Push talent down to us, please.

Butter 04-21-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 10361)
The more the merrier. Take all the QBs and RBs and WRs and TEs and OTs. Push talent down to us, please.

Amen brother.

natagu23 04-22-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 10336)
Matt Miller‏ @nfldraftscout 16m16 minutes ago

Latest buzz:

- Foster falls to "Myles Jack" range
- Ross, Mixon, Cook Rd2
- 2 QBs going top 10 (Trubisky, Mahomes?)

Im in favor of trading down at this point, but you have to pull the trigger on Foster if he's there. I don't give a f**k.

Imagine Foster playing behind Hankins and those long-armed freaks in Anderson and Langford?

The run defense instantly jumps into the top half of the league.

natagu23 04-22-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 10268)
As a Florida guy, do you have any take on Jarrad Davis? He also strikes me as a guy that would be a safe 1st round pick, albeit that he might be a bit of a reach at #15 (though perhaps maybe not, as there's some recent rumblings that he could go ahead of Reuben Foster in the top 15).

The guy is a leader. Played through injuries pretty much his whole collegiate career which showed what kind of competitor he is.

I see him more as a 43 sam. However, he has a thumper's mentally, so you can easily stick him inside in a 34 scheme.

He honestly can play 34 or 43 because he has good speed, covers well and is explosive. Some people knock his size 6'1 238, I honestly could give a f**k as long as he passes the eye test. He could put on a little more bulk perhaps.

njcoltfan 04-22-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 10320)
The only problem with the Texans moving up from 25 to 20 is that the 4 teams in front of them don't need a QB. Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Giants.

There's no way in hell that I would trade with the Texans so they could possibly move up to get their " Franchise " QB. They already have the best defense in the division, I don't ever want them to get even a competent QB, let alone a " Franchise" one.

natagu23 04-22-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 10373)
There's no way in hell that I would trade with the Texans so they could possibly move up to get their " Franchise " QB. They already have the best defense in the division, I don't ever want them to get even a competent QB, let alone a " Franchise" one.

No GM would make that trade....not even sorry ass Grigson.

Racehorse 04-22-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10263)
Barnett has to be a no no.

I am not sure why Barnett is acquiring so many haters. I think he is going to be very good.

Racehorse 04-22-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 10294)
@ShouldntBragBut 6m6 minutes ago
Colts continue to show DB Obi Melifonwu, UConn steady levels of interest

What does that even mean, "steady levels of interest"?

Chromeburn 04-22-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 10379)
I am not sure why Barnett is acquiring so many haters. I think he is going to be very good.

He's a moderatly athletic snap jumper who benefitted from a 100k screaming home crowd. He has the most off-sides penalties in college last year. He tested poorly twice because he was 'sick' at the combine and some hammy issue at his pro day. He should be slotted in the 2nd round. You can get away with being less of an athlete at EDGE in college, but not in the pros. If the guy is coachable you can teach them technique, can't teach athletism.

FatDT 04-22-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10383)
He's a moderatly athletic snap jumper who benefitted from a 100k screaming home crowd. He has the most off-sides penalties in college last year. He tested poorly twice because he was 'sick' at the combine and some hammy issue at his pro day. He should be slotted in the 2nd round. You can get away with being less of an athlete at EDGE in college, but not in the pros. If the guy is coachable you can teach them technique, can't teach athletism.

Your argument doesn't hold up since he got 14 of his career sacks during away games. Timing the snap is a skill pros use. And the NFL is full of twitchy athletes that can't or won't learn technique and never progress. His 40 time wasn't very good, it's true. But there is a lot more to bring an edge rusher than running fast in a straight line. Barnett can already fight off blockers at a level plenty of pros never get to.

Coltsalr 04-22-2017 11:10 AM

Mayock says that teams supposedly don't care about Foster's diluted urine sample:

Quote:

With concern mounting about Reuben Foster's viability as a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft (April 27-29 in Philadelphia), NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock threw cold water on the notion that the Alabama linebacker will fall far down draft boards.

"There are some red flags there. I think the combine incident has been wiped clean by almost every team. I think that was way overdone and the kid should not have been sent home. That's my opinion and most people in the league believe that," Mayock told reporters during a conference call Friday. "As far as the diluted sample at the combine, that's always really disappointing and has to be taken into consideration. I think the shoulder is apparently going to be OK from a re-check perspective, I don't see him sliding all that far. I think he's a top-20 pick all day long in any draft. Could he have been a top-10 pick? He still might be a top-10 pick.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-a-top10-pick

Chromeburn 04-22-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 10393)
Your argument doesn't hold up since he got 14 of his career sacks during away games. Timing the snap is a skill pros use. And the NFL is full of twitchy athletes that can't or won't learn technique and never progress. His 40 time wasn't very good, it's true. But there is a lot more to bring an edge rusher than running fast in a straight line. Barnett can already fight off blockers at a level plenty of pros never get to.

It holds up just fine. Timing the snap is ok, not having a quick step and having to jump the snap gets you penalized. Which he was the most in college ball. He needs every bit of that. I never said anything about his 40 time. I could care less about his 40 time. His 1st step is slow. His hand use is great, but it's an uphill battle for him. I think he has hit his peak. I would rather take one of the athletic freaks and teach him technique. It's a safer play. Players are always training technique in the off season. Check out the sack whisperer article on cbs sports. NFL is a year round job, if they are not working on their technique they won't last long.

natagu23 04-22-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10405)
It holds up just fine. Timing the snap is ok, not having a quick step and having to jump the snap gets you penalized. Which he was the most in college ball. He needs every bit of that. I never said anything about his 40 time. I could care less about his 40 time. His 1st step is slow. His hand use is great, but it's an uphill battle for him. I think he has hit his peak. I would rather take one of the athletic freaks and teach him technique. It's a safer play. Players are always training technique in the off season. Check out the sack whisperer article on cbs sports. NFL is a year round job, if they are not working on their technique they won't last long.

Although poor (4.9 at pro day), i could care less about Barnett's 40 as long as he can make up for it with explosiveness which is something he clearly doesnt have.

He doesnt have the explosiveness you want as your primary pass rusher and it was confirmed with his weak broad jump and vertical.

I dont understand why people want to make him into something that he's not. He's a 43 DE with average to below average athleticism.

If you want to stand him up in a 34, then you asking for a bust. I'll gladly eat crow if im wrong but i doubt it.

YDFL Commish 04-23-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10411)
Although poor (4.9 at pro day), i could care less about Barnett's 40 as long as he can make up for it with explosiveness which is something he clearly doesnt have.

He doesnt have the explosiveness you want as your primary pass rusher and it was confirmed with his weak broad jump and vertical.

I dont understand why people want to make him into something that he's not. He's a 43 DE with average to below average athleticism.

If you want to stand him up in a 34, then you asking for a bust. I'll gladly eat crow if im wrong but i doubt it.

I'll trust Bill Polian on which drills are most important for a pass rusher. BP 3-cone is the telling drill, and in the 3-cone Barnett knocked it out of the park with a 6.96.

I don't think that Barnett will be either a bust or a star. His lack of pass rush moves is what's most disturbing. That can be coached, but it doesn't mean that he can develop those moves either.

Bottom line, give me Harris over Barnett, but I won't be pissed with a Barnett pick either.

njcoltfan 04-23-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 10419)
I'll trust Bill Polian on which drills are most important for a pass rusher. BP 3-cone is the telling drill, and in the 3-cone Barnett knocked it out of the park with a 6.96.

I don't think that Barnett will be either a bust or a star. His lack of pass rush moves is what's most disturbing. That can be coached, but it doesn't mean that he can develop those moves either.

Bottom line, give me Harris over Barnett, but I won't be pissed with a Barnett pick either.

For what it's worth, Bucky Brooks on the NFL network said he thinks Barnett will get double digit sacks before Garrett.

Blue Thunder 04-23-2017 12:00 PM

I'm not a big fan of Barnett being the pick. A healthy Maggitt seems like the same guy.

FatDT 04-23-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 10426)
I'm not a big fan of Barnett being the pick. A healthy Maggitt seems like the same guy.

Lol ok.

VeveJones007 04-24-2017 09:22 AM

Per Mayock in MMQB:

Quote:

I won’t be surprised if the Giants (seeking a tackle), scheduled to pick 23rd, or the Texans (seeking a quarterback), scheduled to pick 25th, move up into the teens. Baltimore (16) and Tennessee (18) would be happy to move down.
Going from 15 to 25 would be worth Houston's 2nd rounder (#57) according to the chart. That would be a great spot to target Sidney Jones.

Chromeburn 04-24-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 10424)
For what it's worth, Bucky Brooks on the NFL network said he thinks Barnett will get double digit sacks before Garrett.

No offense to Bucky, but I think he was 1 out of 32 in last year's draft. Guy doesn't know much when it comes to the draft.

natagu23 04-24-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 10483)
Per Mayock in MMQB:



Going from 15 to 25 would be worth Houston's 2nd rounder (#57) according to the chart. That would be a great spot to target Sidney Jones.

I dont know about targeting Jones but getting a 2nd would be nice if it were any other team but the Texans.

Not helping those f**kers.

natagu23 04-24-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10495)
No offense to Bucky, but I think he was 1 out of 32 in last year's draft. Guy doesn't know much when it comes to the draft.

I was going mention something along those lines.

Chromeburn 04-24-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 10419)
I'll trust Bill Polian on which drills are most important for a pass rusher. BP 3-cone is the telling drill, and in the 3-cone Barnett knocked it out of the park with a 6.96.

I don't think that Barnett will be either a bust or a star. His lack of pass rush moves is what's most disturbing. That can be coached, but it doesn't mean that he can develop those moves either.

Bottom line, give me Harris over Barnett, but I won't be pissed with a Barnett pick either.

That is true, and Polian has forgotten more about evaluating talent than many draft guru's combined. I would consider the 3-cone much more important than the 40. But you don't take that in a vacuum. You also work in the other drills and see how he does. They measure length, speed, burst, bend. Barnett just is not as athletic as some of the other guys. Now could he overcome that? Sure. But you are playing an odds game and the odds are against him. Rookies have a lot to overcome. I will say one thing in his favor is he has impeccable character. You will never have to worry about him off the field and he will always give you 100% in game and on the practice field.

Chromeburn 04-24-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10497)
I was going mention something along those lines.

Yeah, he is pretty bad. He might get more sacks, but he is also likely going to a better team. Garett will be doubled from day one.

YDFL Commish 04-24-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10498)
That is true, and Polian has forgotten more about evaluating talent than many draft guru's combined. I would consider the 3-cone much more important than the 40. But you don't take that in a vacuum. You also work in the other drills and see how he does. They measure length, speed, burst, bend. Barnett just is not as athletic as some of the other guys. Now could he overcome that? Sure. But you are playing an odds game and the odds are against him. Rookies have a lot to overcome. I will say one thing in his favor is he has impeccable character. You will never have to worry about him off the field and he will always give you 100% in game and on the practice field.

I'll fully admit that he's not as athletic as some of the other guys. But he didn't embarrass himself in any of the drills, and I believe in everything but the 40 was probably in the top 50 percentile for his position.

Chromeburn 04-24-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 10501)
I'll fully admit that he's not as athletic as some of the other guys. But he didn't embarrass himself in any of the drills, and I believe in everything but the 40 was probably in the top 50 percentile for his position.

Is it where you feel a 1st rounder should be? I think he is a 2nd to 3rd, but will be drafted higher than that. Certainly not at 15.

Its that initial quickness where I see the biggest flag. That initial burst off the line is very important in the pros. You see a guy like Tim Williams who explodes off the line, I don't see it with Barnett. It's what made Mathis and Freenet so dangerous at the beginning of the careers.

VeveJones007 04-24-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10496)
I dont know about targeting Jones but getting a 2nd would be nice if it were any other team but the Texans.

Not helping those f**kers.

I would gladly take a 2nd from them to help them get one of these sorry QBs in this class.

Wyatt 04-25-2017 07:00 AM

@SportsCenter
Breaking: Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers tested positive for a diluted sample at the NFL scouting combine. (via @AdamSchefter)

Wyatt 04-25-2017 10:15 AM

Gareon Conley Hype Video
 
Put together by a reddit user, I wouldn't be dissapointed to see us get him at 1-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFc9pnatlyM

Wyatt 04-25-2017 10:23 AM

Jarrad Davis anyone?

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/04/2...-jarrad-davis/

Coltsalr 04-25-2017 12:02 PM

In that regard, ESPN’s Todd McShay today wrote that the Colts could be the team that takes Alabama inside linebacker Reuben Foster.

One person I spoke to said the Indianapolis Colts could end up being the parachute pick for Foster at No. 15 overall, given how they're trying to overhaul the defensive side of the ball. If he doesn't go there, the Redskins two picks later could be in play.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.