ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Draft Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397)

Coltsalr 04-08-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 9068)
You cant go wrong with a guy that has a decent floor when you have Pags as a coach.

We cant mess around with projects or players with a lot of potential with questionable floor.

Agreed, I don't think either guy (Barnett or Harris) has the high bust potential of a Bjoern Werner.

I do worry about a guy like Takk McKninley who's so raw in so many areas and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into Werner under our coaching staff.

apballin 04-08-2017 02:27 PM

Draft Lamp

Put him in there with Kelley, Mewhort and Castanzo and that's a solid line

Mr. Session 04-08-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 9089)
Draft Lamp

Put him in there with Kelley, Mewhort and Castanzo and that's a solid line

Even if Castanzo retires/moves on, The interior of the line is set for years.

The pass rusher or Middle Linebacker has to be lights out that's available at 15 : has to be a beast to match that impact imo.

Coltsalr 04-08-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

the indianapolis colts are one of several nfl teams reported to be hosting alabama linebacker reuben foster on a visit in the days ahead, per josh norris of rotoworld.

"on top of visiting kc and jax this week, i'm told lb reuben foster will also visit the colts, bengals, saints, lions, titans & ravens," norris tweeted friday evening.
don't let him leave

rcubed 04-08-2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 9098)
don't let him leave

Dont think it works that way

natagu23 04-09-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 9089)
Draft Lamp

Put him in there with Kelley, Mewhort and Castanzo and that's a solid line

Lamp is starting to make a lot of sense.

The interior of the oline could potentially be the strong suit of this team which is something we have desired for a long time.

Not to mention you can still draft a decent LB or pass rusher in the 2nd.

Lets not kid ourselves because after Solomon Thomas and Garrett, the pass rushing talent falls off a f**king cliff.

Is Lamp a better linemen than what we'll draft at 15 in either a lber or pass rusher? Most likely

The kid is solid all around. He's a notch below Kelly imo.

Nice safe pick.

Puck 04-11-2017 07:24 AM

I think once the pick is made everyone on here is going to be mad, puzzled, and a few will threaten to boycott the season...

He is taking BPA regardless of need.

VeveJones007 04-11-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 9263)
I think once the pick is made everyone on here is going to be mad, puzzled, and a few will threaten to boycott the season...

He is taking BPA regardless of need.

There will be so many good players available and so many needs that it will be hard to be mad at the pick. Even if they take Lamp like you want, it still fills a need, unlike the Dorsett pick in 2015. I think a lot of us were legitimately upset at that one.

Butter 04-11-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 9263)
I think once the pick is made everyone on here is going to be mad, puzzled, and a few will threaten to boycott the season...

He is taking BPA regardless of need.

Sounds about right.

Coltsalr 04-11-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 9263)
I think once the pick is made everyone on here is going to be mad, puzzled, and a few will threaten to boycott the season...

He is taking BPA regardless of need.

If it's TE or WR (or QB, obviously) I hit the roof.

Otherwise, I'l live, assuming that the guy is actually good.

The guy being some bizarre reach that sends Mel Kiper screaming is the wildcard, but I'm assuming/hoping that with Ballard being a rookie GM, that he'll probably go chalk with his first ever pick (and the Chiefs, as I recall, don't seem to tend to just reach for players weirdly like say the Dolphins), so as long as the guy actually IS reasonably considered the best player available and not at one of those positions, then fine.

rcubed 04-11-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 9272)
There will be so many good players available and so many needs that it will be hard to be mad at the pick. Even if they take Lamp like you want, it still fills a need, unlike the Dorsett pick in 2015. I think a lot of us were legitimately upset at that one.

this board will still find something to bitch about, even if the pick is perfect.

sherck 04-11-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 9285)
this board will still find something to bitch about, even if the pick is perfect.

I seem to remember a few folks were not happy with the selection of Kelly last year even though he was a "perfect" pick.

Some folks will never be happy.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Coltsalr 04-11-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 9302)
I seem to remember a few folks were not happy with the selection of Kelly last year even though he was a "perfect" pick.

Some folks will never be happy.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good ol' Nate Douchelevy:

Nate Dunlevy ‏@NateDunlevy
Indy hasn't even been competitive against top passers. Center won't keep them in games. Still going to get run out of dodge over and over.

Dam8610 04-11-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 9305)
Good ol' Nate Douchelevy:

Nate Dunlevy ‏@NateDunlevy
Indy hasn't even been competitive against top passers. Center won't keep them in games. Still going to get run out of dodge over and over.

To be fair, he wasn't wrong, but the value at pass rusher just wasn't there.

omahacolt 04-11-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 9305)
Good ol' Nate Douchelevy:

Nate Dunlevy ‏@NateDunlevy
Indy hasn't even been competitive against top passers. Center won't keep them in games. Still going to get run out of dodge over and over.

Fucking dunleavy

That pissface is so butthurt about manning it is embarrassing. The dude has lost it

Coltsalr 04-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 9314)
To be fair, he wasn't wrong, but the value at pass rusher just wasn't there.

They're completely out of games when Luck is getting flattened behind a suckass Center like Satele or Khaled Holmes.

Getting a Center like Ryan Kelly was a necessity to even begin to talk about improving other areas of the team.

Coltsalr 04-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 9330)
Fucking dunleavy

That pissface is so butthurt about manning it is embarrassing. The dude has lost it

He makes Brad Wells tolerable by comparison.

Dam8610 04-12-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 9355)
They're completely out of games when Luck is getting flattened behind a suckass Center like Satele or Khaled Holmes.

Getting a Center like Ryan Kelly was a necessity to even begin to talk about improving other areas of the team.

Pass rush was the most glaring need on this team last year, despite the FO's complete lack of addressing it. That said, the value wasn't there to take a pass rusher at 18 last year.

Coltsalr 04-12-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 9383)
Pass rush was the most glaring need on this team last year, despite the FO's complete lack of addressing it. That said, the value wasn't there to take a pass rusher at 18 last year.

Pass rush absolutely was the biggest issue on the team this past year, however, had the Colts not drafted interior OL and had Luck gotten seriously injured yet again, that would've stood out as the bigger issue, even over the pass rush which would've been crappy, no doubt.

But yes, you're also correct that pass rush wasn't there at 1.18 last year, which makes Nate Douchelevy's comment bashing the pick all the more retarded.

YDFL Commish 04-12-2017 07:51 PM

From Mike Freeman's 10 point stance
 
Here's what a long time NFC scout has to say about each teams possible draft strategy:

Quote:

15. Colts: This is where (Stanford RB Christian) McCaffrey goes. Perfect fit there. I (also) have one sleeper there: (Oklahoma RB) Joe Mixon. Longest of long shots, but I can tell you the Colts are taking a hard look at him. A lot of teams are infatuated with Mixon, but so far no team seems crazy enough to take him in the first. But I think that owner (Jim Irsay) is crazy enough to do it.
I don't expect either of these scenarios to play out...but if either did this board would explode!

Alas...Jim Irsay doesn't call the shots in these situations, although, I could easily see the Colts taking Mixon in round 2.

VeveJones007 04-12-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 9396)
Here's what a long time NFC scout has to say about each teams possible draft strategy:



I don't expect either of these scenarios to play out...but if either did this board would explode!

Alas...Jim Irsay doesn't call the shots in these situations, although, I could easily see the Colts taking Mixon in round 2.

A lot of out-of-town-stupid there. Agree that Mixon may be a target...in Rd 2.

Puck 04-13-2017 12:31 PM

Everyone knows I am a in the draft Lamp camp

But what are your thoughts on Good at RG in place of Haeg. Haeg is probably a better tackle than guard in the long run. He just doesn't have the strength to play guard yet

Could you live with. AC Mewhort RK Good and Clark and not have to watch Luck and hold your breath that he doesn't get killed. And we have a running game?

FatDT 04-13-2017 01:57 PM

I'll take Haeg over Good. Haeg was a rookie, and the offseason is when you get stronger physically. As a low round rookie he proved he could play and maybe start long-term in the NFL. He has all the motivation he'll need to prove himself and earn a 2nd contract. Maybe one day he'll play tackle but I think he is more talented than Good.

sherck 04-13-2017 02:11 PM

I like Clark at RT for 2017 and will feel about whoever of Haeg, Good or Schewenke wins the RG spot.

That is not a bad competition to have. They all have talent.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smitty46953 04-13-2017 05:46 PM

If Foster is there i take him, doubt he is though.
I personally would not be upset to hear Ryan Ramczyk or Forrest Lamps name called. After those two I like Haason Riddick I will probably throw a hissy fit if it is any RB short of Fournette.

:cool:

VeveJones007 04-13-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 9499)
If Foster is there i take him, doubt he is though.
I personally would not be upset to hear Ryan Ramczyk or Forrest Lamps name called. After those two I like Haason Riddick I will probably throw a hissy fit if it is any RB short of Fournette.

:cool:

Foster
Reddick
Harris
McKinley

If Foster isn't there, I hope they find a good partner to trade down.

natagu23 04-13-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 9438)
Everyone knows I am a in the draft Lamp camp

But what are your thoughts on Good at RG in place of Haeg. Haeg is probably a better tackle than guard in the long run. He just doesn't have the strength to play guard yet

Could you live with. AC Mewhort RK Good and Clark and not have to watch Luck and hold your breath that he doesn't get killed. And we have a running game?

Draft Lamp in the 1st.

Raekwon McMillan in the 2nd

Teez Tabor in the 3rd and another corner in the 4th

sherck 04-13-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 9527)
Draft Lamp in the 1st.

Raekwon McMillan in the 2nd

Teez Tabor in the 3rd and another corner in the 4th

If that, then sign one of the veteran CBs on the market to a 1 year contract to force the rookie CBs to seize the CB2 spot if they deserve it instead of just having it handed to them.

Add RB and OLB in the 4th round and a TE in the 5th and call it a draft.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

apballin 04-13-2017 10:29 PM

After the Hankins signing I don't see them going any position other than OL

Lamp or the Wisconsin guy

2 options at this point

either will be bpa so it doesn't matter

VeveJones007 04-13-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 9543)
After the Hankins signing I don't see them going any position other than OL

Lamp or the Wisconsin guy

2 options at this point

either will be bpa so it doesn't matter

Read this: http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapoli...ig-as-it-looks

Listen to this: https://twitter.com/kentsterling/sta...09298530226176

The Colts need to take 2017 to play the O linemen they have to gauge them. No reason to spend a valuable high pick on G/T when you may already have what you need in Clark, Harg, and/or Good.

GoBigBlue88 04-14-2017 10:43 AM

After Hankins signing, I am 100 percent in favor of, at 15...

1. Game-changing LB (ILB or EDGE, but you have to determine this is a consistent playmaker and not just rotation player)

2. Game-changing boundary CB.

3. RB

In that order of decision-making. So if whoever Ballard determines to be a game-changing EDGE, or Reuben Foster, or an evaluated-as-long-term-starter Raekwon McMillan is available, or a true "can't get this talent anywhere near the 2nd round" system-friendly boundary CB is available at 15, I think you absolutely have to go there.

But if Ballard doesn't feel like any of those positions have real playmakers present at 15, I think this puts RB back in play.

apballin 04-14-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 9547)
Read this: http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapoli...ig-as-it-looks

Listen to this: https://twitter.com/kentsterling/sta...09298530226176

The Colts need to take 2017 to play the O linemen they have to gauge them. No reason to spend a valuable high pick on G/T when you may already have what you need in Clark, Harg, and/or Good.

Only problem is if you pass on OL in the 1st your not getting NFL starter talent let alone giving the guys on the right side of the line any competition

If it's an impact guy like Foster. . ok but you can get a RB, CB, LB later in the draft

At this point he's got to solidify the line

Spike 04-14-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 9616)
Only problem is if you pass on OL in the 1st your not getting NFL starter talent let alone giving the guys on the right side of the line any competition

If it's an impact guy like Foster. . ok but you can get a RB, CB, LB later in the draft

At this point he's got to solidify the line

BPA at 15 at a position of real need should still be there. Whether it be OL, or on the defensive side of the ball. Not in favor of taking a RB or WR in the 1st round.

VeveJones007 04-14-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 9589)
After Hankins signing, I am 100 percent in favor of, at 15...

1. Game-changing LB (ILB or EDGE, but you have to determine this is a consistent playmaker and not just rotation player)

2. Game-changing boundary CB.

3. RB

In that order of decision-making. So if whoever Ballard determines to be a game-changing EDGE, or Reuben Foster, or an evaluated-as-long-term-starter Raekwon McMillan is available, or a true "can't get this talent anywhere near the 2nd round" system-friendly boundary CB is available at 15, I think you absolutely have to go there.

But if Ballard doesn't feel like any of those positions have real playmakers present at 15, I think this puts RB back in play.

I really hope that Foster makes it to 15. If they get him and one of the EDGE guys at 2.14, it will already be a hell of a draft.

VeveJones007 04-14-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 9616)
Only problem is if you pass on OL in the 1st your not getting NFL starter talent let alone giving the guys on the right side of the line any competition

If it's an impact guy like Foster. . ok but you can get a RB, CB, LB later in the draft

At this point he's got to solidify the line

I believe more in the upside of Clark/Haeg/Good than I do Morrison/Jackson/Simon.

Puck 04-14-2017 04:05 PM

It's all fun to wish, but it will be BPA and not drafting for need. Ballard has said it a million times.

Be prepared for a RB or TE if they are the BPA

Oldcolt 04-14-2017 04:08 PM

The offensive line can wait for another draft. At some point you have to believe that what you have can develop into something good. I thing the last half of last season gives a person reason for hope, for the offensive line. Is it perfect, hell no, but compared to the defense we put on the field it was. We need defense. If the best player is an OL or rb I am hoping we trade down and pick defense. Find a way to put some pressure on the qb. It would be incredible to root for a team with balance. I think

Spike 04-14-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 9639)
The offensive line can wait for another draft. At some point you have to believe that what you have can develop into something good. I thing the last half of last season gives a person reason for hope, for the offensive line. Is it perfect, hell no, but compared to the defense we put on the field it was. We need defense. If the best player is an OL or rb I am hoping we trade down and pick defense. Find a way to put some pressure on the qb. It would be incredible to root for a team with balance. I think

I wouldn't be upset with a guy like Lamp, but hell no to a RB or WR, too many other pressing needs.

apballin 04-15-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 9638)
It's all fun to wish, but it will be BPA and not drafting for need. Ballard has said it a million times.

Be prepared for a RB or TE if they are the BPA

I call BS what if trubisky is bpa

apballin 04-15-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 9626)
I believe more in the upside of Clark/Haeg/Good than I do Morrison/Jackson/Simon.

Yeah but waiting on Haeg and Good at the expense of Luck is what I don't wanna deal with.

And I believe we can make do with Spence/Jackson/Simon Hankins just made all of our LBs job easier


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.