ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2022 NFL Free Agency (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140812)

Hoopsdoc 04-06-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 228293)
QB and pass rush were significantly upgraded

We’re already better we’ve only lost role players or special teams depth guys none of the players that signed elsewhere are game changers

Wide receiver, left tackle, cornerback, and tight end are all significantly worse than they were last year. And Ballard has done absolutely nothing in any of those areas, except for Facsyon, who is likely only depth.

Quarterback might be vastly better but I’d argue the team as a whole is worse.

apballin 04-06-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 228301)
Wide receiver, left tackle, cornerback, and tight end are all significantly worse than they were last year. And Ballard has done absolutely nothing in any of those areas, except for Facsyon, who is likely only depth.

Quarterback might be vastly better but I’d argue the team as a whole is worse.

Totally disagree, pass rush helps CB so ngakwe for ya sin was a huge improvement and Pryor maybe better then a half injured over age Fischer and Doyle barely played last year and he was primarily a blocker when he did play so again I love Jack but no huge loss

ChaosTheory 04-06-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 228293)
QB and pass rush were significantly upgraded

Part of the reason I'm not panicked about WR and DB quite yet is because of this. Clearly both areas could (will?) be upgraded. But both are directly impacted by QB and pass rush which should help.

If Dayo and especially Paye make a leap to go along with Buckner and Ngakoue, it'll make a lesser DB look better. Obviously that applies to QB-WR. We saw in that JAX breakdown video that guys got open. We'll see how confident they are in the WR's and Granson.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 228297)
Stephen Holder
@HolderStephen
I will say this: There are a growing number of agents out there who have told me the Colts are being way too stingy on spending. I can't speak to why that is, though some have theories. But regardless of the why, it is what it is at this point.

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...00710886367234

I mean, what do you expect agents to say? Especially for WR's looking at Adams and Hill. I thought a guy like Jarvis Landry might be interesting to consider... then I read that he wants $20m/yr. For Jarvis Landry? Sorry, but get fucked.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
I think folks on this board are severely underestimating the quality effect of a top notch QB on an NFL team.

How many teams do we honestly think would've handled losing their 29-year-old top-5 QB two weeks before the season starts any better than the Colts did? The league is so disproportionately affected by QB (by design) that you either have a good one or you almost cannot compete.

The two losing seasons we've had under Ballard were Pagano's farewell tour and the Andrew Luck surprise from hell, both of which had Brissett at QB. With Ryan I expect a season more inline with what we saw with Luck and Rivers. And as sour as we all ended up on Wentz... it's worth noting how close 9-8 was to 12-5. Even with him.

rm1369 04-06-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
I think folks on this board are severely underestimating the quality effect of a top notch QB on an NFL team.

I think Ryan will make a huge difference. They will likely be a playoff team. But I personally don’t think Ballard gave Rivers enough support and I suspect he’ll do the same with Ryan. Be as good as he thinks he can without affecting the future. It just has a ceiling that’s lower than I want. If you are happy with it, good for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
Guys like to toss out that Ballard = Grigson because of their similar record. The huge difference is that Grigson had Andrew Luck to cover his weak roster and Ballard has not.

I’ve not seen anyone say that. I certainly don’t agree. But if I could combine Ballard’s talent evaluation with Grigson’s aggressiveness I would. Ballard is clearly a better GM though regardless of record. That doesn’t make Ballard above questioning though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
Ballard has built a roster than is in the playoff hunt even though we have been weak at QB for the past 4 years. Yes, I know Phillip Rivers was one of those years and we got to the playoffs and I think that supports my point that having a top QB helps in all things in the NFL.

Ballard has admittedly succeeded in building a decent roster overall. Unfortunately his success so far has not included filling what I consider the most important positions. Hopefully Paye is the long term solution at DE, but that is still a huge question mark. It’s a good roster overall, I’m not trying to knock it. Seriously. But let’s be honest, if he was GM of the Bears or Vikings and built a decent team minus a QB, pass rusher, or LT none of you would worship him like you are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
Boo hoo. Waaaaahhh! Ballard has not signed MY favorite free agents. Ballard does not play that game, has not played that game in any season he has been here but yet continues to put out rosters that are fiscally responsible (which, regardless of other people's opinions, still matters), is loyal to HIS players and now has a QB that, hopefully, can make the offense hum.

Oh shut the fuck up. Seriously, this is nothing but a bunch of BS. Nobody is crying, they are expressing their opinions. Just as you are when you are sucking Ballard’s dick. Don’t think you do? Yeah probably not, just like nobody is fucking crying. He never plays that game? Yeah you are right - its exactly what some of us are fucking saying while you guys tell us there is plenty of time, a lot of chances, etc. WE KNOW BALLARD ISNT LIKELY TO SIGN ANY ONE. It’s exactly what we are saying. He will put out a mediocre to decently good team that doesn’t risk anything in the future. I know and you seem to agree. But I’m crying because I think that won’t win a SB and it’s wasting the couple years they will have with a good QB (the position you keep saying is key)? Fuck off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
Do I have confidence in Pryor at left tackle? Nope, but apparently team management does and I am good with that.

Do I wish I knew who was WR2, CB1, Safety3, OG3 and OT3 (the 5 positions I am most concerned about)? Yes, I do but team management is being patient. I sort of hate patient but I have trust in them that by week 1, we will have a quality plan and roster in place.

Good for you. I don’t trust any of that. I don’t trust it because of their words and previous actions. They’ve been perfectly fine waiting to solve an issue next year. But guess how much my lack of confidence affects the team and my life? The exact same amount your confidence does - zero. So you keep sucking Ballard’s dick and I’ll keep crying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 228300)
The question is, since you are all Colts fans and have seen how Ballard operations, why are you not being patient?

Because I’ve seen the results of Ballard’s methods. Look at DE last year. WR for a couple years. LT last year after knowing it was coming. But when you have a 2 year window with, what you seem to agree is the most important ingredient (QB), you don’t have the luxury of waiting until next year. Not if you want to win a SB.

Puck 04-06-2022 11:31 PM

Wanna know why I am not as worried about wr as the rest of you???? Franks offense doesn't rely on big play WR.

He is a possession coach. Use the clock and keep the d off of the field.


Give me a TE like Ebron with the weapons already here and I'm fine

The top WR's in FA want big bucks because of the contracts they are seeing. Yet they are not worth it

Ballard told them what they are worth TO THE COLTS. Take it or leave it

I'd look for WR in the draft and not put a "round" on it. Take BPA at any pick and upgrade the team. Not the position.



For the record. I want Cine. Otherwise i hope that Ridder falls to us. That kid could be a star especially behind Ryan for a few yrs

Also Like Skye Moore

Oldcolt 04-06-2022 11:32 PM

Would just like to point out that we do not have a team yet. It is being put together as we bitch.

Discflinger 04-07-2022 04:20 AM

I know that jostling is why we are here, but…

In Ballard I trust.

JAFF 04-07-2022 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 228303)
Totally disagree, pass rush helps CB so ngakwe for ya sin was a huge improvement and Pryor maybe better then a half injured over age Fischer and Doyle barely played last year and he was primarily a blocker when he did play so again I love Jack but no huge loss

Miss doyle in the locker room, some needs to step up and fill that huge hole

Racehorse 04-07-2022 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 228308)


I’ve not seen anyone say that. I certainly don’t agree. But if I could combine Ballard’s talent evaluation with Grigson’s aggressiveness I would. Ballard is clearly a better GM though regardless of record. That doesn’t make Ballard above questioning though.


Most do not think he is above questioning, but some of you refuse to acknowledge anything good. Maybe there is a middle ground we could all agree on if we weren't so hard-headed.

rm1369 04-07-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 228318)
Most do not think he is above questioning, but some of you refuse to acknowledge anything good. Maybe there is a middle ground we could all agree on if we weren't so hard-headed.

I freely acknowledge Ballard’s strengths, I just don’t see any acknowledgment of his weaknesses by those constantly jumping to his defense. Only straw men, blue colored glasses, and gratefulness he isn’t Grigson.

Point out something as simple as free agents have no reason to take less here to win because Ballard’s teams haven’t really won anything and people jump to Ballard’s defense and start telling me the grass isn’t always greener as if I’m asking for him to be fired. What I said was fact - the Colts don’t have any recent history of winning to make that argument. And I didn’t bring it up out of the blue, I was responding to someone suggesting that’s what free agents should do if they want to win. Hell, his penny pinching with Autry could makes the case this isn’t even a good long term free agent landing spot.

rm1369 04-07-2022 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 228311)
Wanna know why I am not as worried about wr as the rest of you???? Franks offense doesn't rely on big play WR.

He is a possession coach. Use the clock and keep the d off of the field.


Give me a TE like Ebron with the weapons already here and I'm fine

The top WR's in FA want big bucks because of the contracts they are seeing. Yet they are not worth it

Ballard told them what they are worth TO THE COLTS. Take it or leave it

I'd look for WR in the draft and not put a "round" on it. Take BPA at any pick and upgrade the team. Not the position.



For the record. I want Cine. Otherwise i hope that Ridder falls to us. That kid could be a star especially behind Ryan for a few yrs

Also Like Skye Moore

All I can say is I apparently have a different memory of the end of the 2020 season than you do. I also wonder if Rivers agrees that WRs don’t matter.

If Campbell can stay healthy adding a 2nd or 3rd round rookie to the existing guys may be sufficient. I just am tired of depending on Campbell’s health. But if you plan to solve WR in the draft you need to solve something else in free agency - if you are trying to win a SB this year. I don’t think that’s Ballard’s goal though.

Puck 04-07-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 228321)
All I can say is I apparently have a different memory of the end of the 2020 season than you do. I also wonder if Rivers agrees that WRs don’t matter.

If Campbell can stay healthy adding a 2nd or 3rd round rookie to the existing guys may be sufficient. I just am tired of depending on Campbell’s health. But if you plan to solve WR in the draft you need to solve something else in free agency - if you are trying to win a SB this year. I don’t think that’s Ballard’s goal though.

That had a lot to do with the QB not doing what was asked of him. Ryan would have had us in the playoffs. Just like Rivers would with that exact same team.

rm1369 04-07-2022 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 228332)
That had a lot to do with the QB not doing what was asked of him. Ryan would have had us in the playoffs. Just like Rivers would with that exact same team.

I’m specifically referencing the Rivers year, 2020 season. The year their leading Pass catcher was a RB, their leading WR had only 762 yds, and Marcus Johnson started 3 games. My memory is the lack of WRs hurt that team.

If your goal is just to make the playoffs, you are probably right - they are good enough, draft and start the season. I’m hoping they want more. Otherwise they should have just taken their lumps with Ehlinger so they can draft a QB that will allow the to set their sights higher than just making the playoffs.

IndyNorm 04-07-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 228318)
Most do not think he is above questioning, but some of you refuse to acknowledge anything good. Maybe there is a middle ground we could all agree on if we weren't so hard-headed.

Maybe it gets overshadowed with our complaints, but for the most part those of us on here who have been critical of Ballard acknowledge that he is at least a decent GM. That he drafts well, makes good trades, and is a huge upgrade of Grigson.

The point we're trying to make is that Ballard should be more flexible in his approach, which due to him strictly sticking to it has led to some large pressing needs not being filled in the past (pass rush the last couple of years for example). And since we now have an established 37 year old QB the time to become more flexible in his approach is now as we have a ton of gaps in the roster and in all likelihood a 2-3 year window to win it all with Ryan under center.

IndyNorm 04-07-2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 228311)
Wanna know why I am not as worried about wr as the rest of you???? Franks offense doesn't rely on big play WR.

He is a possession coach. Use the clock and keep the d off of the field.


Give me a TE like Ebron with the weapons already here and I'm fine

The top WR's in FA want big bucks because of the contracts they are seeing. Yet they are not worth it

Ballard told them what they are worth TO THE COLTS. Take it or leave it

I'd look for WR in the draft and not put a "round" on it. Take BPA at any pick and upgrade the team. Not the position.



For the record. I want Cine. Otherwise i hope that Ridder falls to us. That kid could be a star especially behind Ryan for a few yrs

Also Like Skye Moore

Agree that a good pass catching TE like Ebron in '18 will go a long way, but I still think we need to add a veteran WR opposite MPJ to at least keep defenses honest. Maybe Dulin will be able to make that leap, but he only had 13 catches for 173 yards last season so probably too much to ask of him.

ChaosTheory 04-07-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 228339)
I’m specifically referencing the Rivers year, 2020 season. The year their leading Pass catcher was a RB, their leading WR had only 762 yds, and Marcus Johnson started 3 games. My memory is the lack of WRs hurt that team.

Fun stat... In 2017, the Eagles' leading wide receiver had 768yds. A TE led the team in receiving yards. I'm not going to argue that we don't need another receiver. I even said last year it'd be great if Pittman was our A+ #2WR. Maybe he goes from good to great #1 this year. I'm just not panicked over it.

In 2020, as far as our receivers at the end... in the playoff game against BUF for example: Rivers had 300+yds. The team overall had nearly 500yds and held the ball for almost 35mins. It's hard for me to believe that we didn't have enough on offense to win. The kind of thing I remember hurting us is a 96yd TD drive with a 1:45 left in the first half.

I think I might actually be more concerned with TE than WR. MAC has improved as a blocker, but not as good as Doyle, and he's decent as a receiver. Granson is more the wildcard and I'm very curious how confident they are that he'll produce. And I like the idea of our RB's catching a shitload of balls.

rm1369 04-07-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory (Post 228353)
Fun stat... In 2017, the Eagles' leading wide receiver had 768yds. A TE led the team in receiving yards. I'm not going to argue that we don't need another receiver. I even said last year it'd be great if Pittman was our A+ #2WR. Maybe he goes from good to great #1 this year. I'm just not panicked over it.

In 2020, as far as our receivers at the end... in the playoff game against BUF for example: Rivers had 300+yds. The team overall had nearly 500yds and held the ball for almost 35mins. It's hard for me to believe that we didn't have enough on offense to win. The kind of thing I remember hurting us is a 96yd TD drive with a 1:45 left in the first half.

I think I might actually be more concerned with TE than WR. MAC has improved as a blocker, but not as good as Doyle, and he's decent as a receiver. Granson is more the wildcard and I'm very curious how confident they are that he'll produce. And I like the idea of our RB's catching a shitload of balls.

All valid points. Maybe my memory is off, but I remember the team having to start Marcus Johnson and remember there being issues with lack of experience and separation at points as they searched for WR help.

I definitely like the idea of Hines getting more touches in the passing game. And I agree that help at TE is a concern as well. Hopefully Granson makes a big jump, because rookie TE aren’t typically major contributors. Overall I’m underwhelmed with the receiving experience the team has. An injury to MPJ and it gets very, very thin. Look at the experience of the guys on the roster. I’d much prefer a veteran be added at either WR or TE. But I admittedly put more value on experience than most here do.

Racehorse 04-08-2022 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 228348)
Maybe it gets overshadowed with our complaints, but for the most part those of us on here who have been critical of Ballard acknowledge that he is at least a decent GM. That he drafts well, makes good trades, and is a huge upgrade of Grigson.

The point we're trying to make is that Ballard should be more flexible in his approach, which due to him strictly sticking to it has led to some large pressing needs not being filled in the past (pass rush the last couple of years for example). And since we now have an established 37 year old QB the time to become more flexible in his approach is now as we have a ton of gaps in the roster and in all likelihood a 2-3 year window to win it all with Ryan under center.

And that is a fair assessment. With a Matt Ryan, you know the window isn't very long, so you get a little more aggressive.

On a side note, the number of free agents signed after the initial cluster of big names has been mostly silent everywhere. It seems the players not signed anywhere yet may be overvaluing themselves league-wide. It appears most GMs have decided to wait for the draft, and fill holes after they know who they get. Signing guys now could put you in drafting for need instead of BPA, or a combination.

I will reserve judgment until I see the final roster, and how well Ryan meshes with the current roster. I think the trades for Ryan and Yannick shows we are trying to get upgrades ate critical positions, but need to fill a couple of others with quality players.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-08-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 227963)
Chris Reed got a 2 year deal.

My guess it is a "show me" low end starter level contract at $4.5m a year.


Nailed the $4.5MM - but it was for the entire 2 year contract and not per year.

Vikings are getting a bargain if Reed's level of play is similar to last season.

It appears to me that Reed really wanted to return to Minnesota where he played college ball and took a discount to do so.


Contract details are up on Spotrac:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesot...is-reed-17242/

Quote:

Chris Reed signed a 2 year, $4,500,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $500,000 signing bonus, $1,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,250,000.

In 2022, Reed will earn a base salary of $1,450,000, a signing bonus of $500,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,750,000 and a dead cap value of $500,000.

JAFF 04-08-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 228312)
Would just like to point out that we do not have a team yet. It is being put together as we bitch.

Im not bitching, Im drinking. And finding some of the shenanigans very amusing.

JAFF 04-08-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 228311)
Wanna know why I am not as worried about wr as the rest of you???? Franks offense doesn't rely on big play WR.

He is a possession coach. Use the clock and keep the d off of the field.


Give me a TE like Ebron with the weapons already here and I'm fine

The top WR's in FA want big bucks because of the contracts they are seeing. Yet they are not worth it

Ballard told them what they are worth TO THE COLTS. Take it or leave it

I'd look for WR in the draft and not put a "round" on it. Take BPA at any pick and upgrade the team. Not the position.



For the record. I want Cine. Otherwise i hope that Ridder falls to us. That kid could be a star especially behind Ryan for a few yrs

Also Like Skye Moore

A double shot of (fill in the blank) will do most of you a mental reboot.

Ironshaft 04-08-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 228389)
Nailed the $4.5MM - but it was for the entire 2 year contract and not per year.

Vikings are getting a bargain if Reed's level of play is similar to last season.

It appears to me that Reed really wanted to return to Minnesota where he played college ball and took a discount to do so.


Contract details are up on Spotrac:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesot...is-reed-17242/

Yeah, I was way off his contract. I am shocked at how little he signed for.

Guess I overvalued him more than the NFL does.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 04-09-2022 07:05 PM

LB / Special Teamer Matt Adams has followed Eberflus to Chicago.

Adams signed a one year deal with the Bears.


https://www.chicagobears.com/news/ro...-year-contract

Quote:

The Bears on Saturday signed linebacker Matt Adams to a one-year contract.

Adams, 26, spent his first four NFL seasons with the Colts, contributing primarily on special teams. The 6-0, 229-pounder is familiar with Bears coach Matt Eberflus, who served as Indianapolis' defensive coordinator the past four years.

Selected by the Colts in the seventh round of the 2018 draft out of Houston, Adams played in 58 games with nine starts, registering 55 tackles and six tackles-for-loss.

All nine of his career starts came in his first two seasons. Last year he appeared in all 17 games, all as a reserve, playing just one snap on defense.

smitty46953 04-14-2022 01:48 PM

49ers signed free agent DE Kemoko Turay to a one-year contract.
Turay spent 2021 with the Colts and recorded a career-high 5.5 sacks. He was drafted by Indianapolis in the second round in 2018 and had an injury-marred four-year stint with the Colts. Turning 27 in July, Turay has played just 38 career games. Still, if healthy he should provide a boost to the 49ers' pass rush. Although the contract terms are not yet known, this looks like a low-risk, high-reward signing for San Francisco.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/footba...rancisco-49ers

:cool:

Butter 04-14-2022 02:33 PM

Turay about to be the new Jerry Hughes.

ChaosTheory 04-14-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 228763)
Turay about to be the new Jerry Hughes.

At least he won't be in our conference when he goes All-Pro.

ChaosTheory 04-21-2022 03:53 PM

Kind of interesting about Deebo Samuel. I hadn't really paid too much attention for obvious reasons as a Colts fan.

But some of the stuff out there is fascinating. Apparently the Colts are one of the teams that made an offer which isn't crazy news, I'm sure everybody will eventually offer. But I am curious since I've now seen two separate articles saying the Colts are either #1 or #2 most likely destination according to betting odds.

What adds to that is that apparently Deebo wants out of SF for reasons other than his contract. SF wanted to pay him, he still wants out. I guess he doesn't like living in SF, wants to be closer to family, etc. And football-wise he doesn't like how much he had to run the ball.

Anybody else read anything more?

rcubed 04-21-2022 04:07 PM

Heard on one of the radio programs that SF doesnt want to trade him, but if they do they want something comparable or more than what KC got for hill.

They also said deebo was unhappy with the way SF used him and he only wants to be a wideout.

So… who would give up that much compensation for a strictly WR?

ChaosTheory 04-21-2022 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 229203)
Heard on one of the radio programs that SF doesnt want to trade him, but if they do they want something comparable or more than what KC got for hill.

They also said deebo was unhappy with the way SF used him and he only wants to be a wideout.

So… who would give up that much compensation for a strictly WR?

Someone will. Dolphins paid a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, and 6th plus $30m/yr for Hill.

But the reason he's so coveted is largely because of his performance last year running the ball. So how do you go to market while ostensibly taking your best trait off the table? What, is he going to get to the Jets and tell them "No!" when they call a run play for him?

Oldcolt 04-22-2022 07:01 PM

Earl Thomas wants back into NFL. Anyone thinks it’s worth kicking the tires? He was a prick his last few years and left both his last teams in less than good circumstances but was one hell of a safety. If he has anything left in tank (a big if)….

YDFL Commish 04-22-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 229303)
Earl Thomas wants back into NFL. Anyone thinks it’s worth kicking the tires? He was a prick his last few years and left both his last teams in less than good circumstances but was one hell of a safety. If he has anything left in tank (a big if)….

No.

Oldcolt 04-30-2022 05:35 PM

Draft is pretty much over. Where do we need to shore up the remaining roster with free agency? To me we obviously need depth at offensive line and we need to sign TY. We need a savvy veteran presence in that receiver room. Plus with all this speed we now have TY would be a killer on other teams second or third corner backs. I've never been a huge TY fan but really really want him back. Sign the man Ballard

YDFL Commish 04-30-2022 05:45 PM

I hate that we lost Taylor Stallworth. His replacement will have to via free agency.

Hoopsdoc 04-30-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 230210)
Draft is pretty much over. Where do we need to shore up the remaining roster with free agency? To me we obviously need depth at offensive line and we need to sign TY. We need a savvy veteran presence in that receiver room. Plus with all this speed we now have TY would be a killer on other teams second or third corner backs. I've never been a huge TY fan but really really want him back. Sign the man Ballard

Yeah, we still need a veteran at receiver, whether it’s TY or someone else.

Dam8610 04-30-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 230213)
I hate that we lost Taylor Stallworth. His replacement will have to via free agency.

One of the two draftees today should be able to handle that role.

IndyNorm 04-30-2022 06:59 PM

TY or a vet WR, OL depth, CB depth. Other than that maybe a PK if a good one becomes available.

Oldcolt 05-01-2022 12:03 AM

Nick Foles was released by Chicago. He would be an excellent backup if he was into it.

Ironshaft 05-04-2022 08:56 AM

I am posting this to say that, by and large, there are too many veteran free agents still available chasing after too little available cap dollars.

In total, the league’s 32 teams have a combined $392.6m in free available cap space.

However, each team needs to do the following for in-season roster maintenance:
- Pay their rookie class
- Pay spots 52 and 53 on the active roster
- Pay their 10-man practice squad
- Have some cap space available for in-season “churn” as players go on IR and you need to sign guys off the practice squad or a street free agent to fill the slot. The number I typically hear is $3m.

Obviously, the biggest variable from team to team of the above components is the paying of their rookie class. Carolina with the #6 overall pick and a draft class of 6 picks needs to allocate $6.236m over what they are paying the bottom of their current 51 roster spots to sign them. Houston with their two first round picks (#3 and #15) and two second round picks (#37 and #44) needs to allocate $12.957m to their rookies. The Colts need to allocate $4.236m.

All this to say, I think an average number to assign to NFL teams to do all the above jobs is $11.0m for each team. I could have gone through all 32 teams and calculated exactly but…nah. Not doing it.

Given that WAG, all 32 teams need to allocate around $352m in cap space for their in-season roster maintenance which means, barring the restructuring of existing contracts or the cutting of current high paid veterans (thus adding to the glut), there is only around $40.6m of available cap space for current unsigned free agents to chase after.

From NFL.com Top 101 NFL Free Agents for 2022 – Still Unsigned

#11 – WR Odell Beckham Jr
#14 – OT Duane Brown
#18 – DE Jadeveon Clowney
#24 – DE Melvin Ingram
#25 – TE Ron Gronkowski
#26 – WR Jarvis Landry
#31 – DE Jerry Hughes
#33 – DT Akiem Hicks
#43 – DE Trey Flowers
#44 – OC J.C. Trotter
#48 – WR Will Fuller
#49 – OT Eric Fisher
#53 – WR Julio Jones
#54 – CB Bryce Callahan
#59 – OLB Anthony Barr
#63 – DE Justin Houston
#78 – DT Sheldon Richardson
#79 – DT Ndamukong Suh
#91 – CB Kevin King
#93 – DT Larry Ogunjobi
#96 – Don’t’a Hightower
#99 – OT Riley Reiff
#100 – CB Joe Haden

(Yes, T.Y. Hilton did not hit their top 101 free agents list)

All of this to say is that we could see some pretty sweet free agents signed to what appears to be low, 1-year contracts just because there is not enough money to pay them more.

OBJ, Landry, Fuller, Jones or T.Y. would be a great addition to a young Colts WR room.

Clowney, Ingram, Hughes or Flowers could add pep to our pass rush if the price were right.

Sheldon Richardson to bolster the D-Line interior for a year? Yes, please.

I don’t know if Ballard has signing any more veteran guys in his sights, but I do know that a lot of these guys will end up signing for a whole lot less than they made last season and that will be great for the team who signs them. They all still appear to have gas in the tank and will make a team better (with the exception of Gronk. I think he is done.)

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 05-04-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 230525)

From NFL.com Top 101 NFL Free Agents for 2022 – Still Unsigned

#24 – DE Melvin Ingram
#63 – DE Justin Houston


Clowney, Ingram, Hughes or Flowers could add pep to our pass rush if the price were right.


A few days ago, Baltimore and Kansas City placed the rarely used UFA tender on Justin Houston and Melvin Ingram.

If these players sign with a new team before July 22 (or the first day of training camp, whichever is later), then they’ll count toward the compensatory pick formula (benefiting their 2021 team). If they remain unsigned, then their 2021 team will have exclusive negotiating rights, meaning the player will either return to the organization or sit unsigned.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/statu...41077017104384

Quote:

The Ravens and Chiefs both applied the seldom used UFA Tender on OLB Justin Houston and Melvin Ingram respectively.

Oldcolt 05-10-2022 10:04 AM

Colts add Dennis Kelly as a swing tackle. We continue to fill out the roster.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ly/9714871002/


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.